Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 04:17 AM   #1
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Mobi ebooks more expensive than average

I'm really mad a this. Why is it increasingly more common to see, for the same ebook, the mobipocket version is more expensive?! Why diferent prices at all?

Look a this example:
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...06331&v=buynow

The mobipocket version is almost double the price of the other formats!

Could someone enlighten me why is that? Please?!
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:44 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Different distributors to the other formats? The distributor sets the price, not the store.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 04:59 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I'm really mad a this. Why is it increasingly more common to see, for the same ebook, the mobipocket version is more expensive?! Why diferent prices at all?

Look a this example:

http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/cgi-bin...God-eBook.html

It is cheaper at Diesal eBooks for the Mobipocket edition.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:31 AM   #4
Anggun
Enthusiast
Anggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sometimes, BooksonBoard offers two different version of the same format of the same book at different price.. I've seen that before.

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...83479&v=buynow
Anggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Different distributors to the other formats? The distributor sets the price, not the store.
That would make sense, but JWolf already shown the same book in the same format in another store at half the price.

And funny enough, slightly cheaper than the other formats!

And in the ebook world, what is exactly a "distributor"? The one that hosts the files?
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And in the ebook world, what is exactly a "distributor"? The one that hosts the files?
That's right, yes; the company who makes the books actually "available" to the store, and from whose server (whether they know it or not) the book is downloaded by the customer.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
Over
Wizard

Interesting. Excuse me my ignorance, but... Can't a store host those files, not depending on distributors? It's seems an unnecessary third party to make things more expansive.

Except small stores that can't affordt server space and traffic bandwidth.

Anyway, I'm still curious about these different prices between different formats.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's the distributor's server which "applies" the DRM, for one thing. I guess it simplifies the "accounting" procedures to do it this way; the distributor doesn't have to take the store's word for how many copies of a book have been sold, for example; they know themselves.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I often buy the .lit version of books just because it is cheaper than the .mobi version. Then I use Convertlit and Mobipocket Creator to get it into mobi format.

It is really stupid how the prices for eBooks are so different from format to format and from store to store.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
I often buy the .lit version of books just because it is cheaper than the .mobi version. Then I use Convertlit and Mobipocket Creator to get it into mobi format.

It is really stupid how the prices for eBooks are so different from format to format and from store to store.
Now that sounds like a good idea! I prefer .lit format myself and was dreading having to learn the scripts for MobideDRM when I get my Blackberry and get the mobipocket reader installed on that. With this route, I could continue buying books in .lit and convert them to mobi. That's most helpful!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:42 AM   #11
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
if only it were that simple - you wouldn't believe how cheap bandwidth can be!

Quote:
Interesting. Excuse me my ignorance, but... Can't a store host those files, not depending on distributors? It's seems an unnecessary third party to make things more expansive.

Except small stores that can't affordt server space and traffic bandwidth.

Anyway, I'm still curious about these different prices between different formats.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #12
tibiafry
Enthusiast
tibiafry has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Iliad
Quote:

Look a this example:

From a publisher point of view I can tell you this:

I make an ebook. I want to offer several formats. Perfect. Mobipocket charges me with 10% of the selling price, while other formats (Adobe for epub and PDF) costs 0 without DRM and only 0.15 € with DRM. That means, a ridiculous % for sure below the 10% mobipocket gets. So, I , as a publisher, want to stimulate my client to get another version (so I get more money).

I think it's easy to understand.

*EDIT* OH and no. In mobipocket they have to store the files, it's mandatory by contract. So they know how many files they've sold (you could cheat them otherwise).
tibiafry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibiafry View Post
From a publisher point of view I can tell you this:

I make an ebook. I want to offer several formats. Perfect. Mobipocket charges me with 10% of the selling price,
Is this only with DRM? DRM-free MobiPocket ought to be free to use.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #14
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Is this only with DRM? DRM-free MobiPocket ought to be free to use.
If you have a way to convince all the publishers to give up DRM tomorrow, we would love to hear it.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #15
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
If you have a way to convince all the publishers to give up DRM tomorrow, we would love to hear it.
Lock them all up in a big warehouse with gags in their mouths and force them, Clockwork Orange style, to watch a movie with a flashcard that says: DRM = USELESS?
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote