Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-11-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Sony Reader PRS-505 reviewed in PC Pro

The December 2008 issue of PC Pro (out today for subscribers) has a review of the PRS-505 on page 68. It is also available on-line at http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/22423...er-prs505.html.

The review is generally positive, whilst also pointing out most of the weaker areas of the device.

PC Pro is, I believe, the largest circulation monthly magazine for IT Professionals in the UK.
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCeeEll View Post
The December 2008 issue of PC Pro (out today for subscribers) has a review of the PRS-505 on page 68. It is also available on-line at http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/22423...er-prs505.html.

The review is generally positive, whilst also pointing out most of the weaker areas of the device.

PC Pro is, I believe, the largest circulation monthly magazine for IT Professionals in the UK.
Quote:
Yet for all this splendour, E Ink suffers one major flaw. It is painfully slow.
I want to know how the page turn speed is painfully slow. By the time I have my eyes back to the top of the page, the page has already turned and is ready for me to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I want to know how the page turn speed is painfully slow. By the time I have my eyes back to the top of the page, the page has already turned and is ready for me to read.
JS the full quote is
Quote:
Yet for all this splendour, E Ink suffers one major flaw. It is painfully slow. And while a two-second delay turning pages can be accommodated, that leniency does not extend to the menus which can be four pages deep before you get anywhere near the eBook you're after. (Emphasis added)
Which I think is a valid point.

I do realise that the menus wont be navigated very often, but it is probably quite frustrating during a short review period or when first exploring the machine.
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Agreed JSWolf. When one starts using the 505 at first the page turning is different from a paper book. After reading an e-book or two as one gets accustomed to the Reader whatever time-delay that is there, and the black flash, cease to be at all noticeable.
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
And while a two-second delay turning pages can be accommodated
I experience nothing like that lag when turning pages. At the most one second, perhaps less.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
crionox
Enthusiast
crionox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, iPhone, iPad
They are just now reviewing the 505?

self-edit: Never mind, just realized it's a UK mag.
crionox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:07 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
two-second delay turning pages
Where did they buy their stop-watch?
My 505 definitely takes a lot less. At least by a half.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:09 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Where did they buy their stop-watch?
My 505 definitely takes a lot less. At least by a half.
Probably an ePub book with embedded fonts. Page turns can be significantly slower with such books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:14 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Probably an ePub book with embedded fonts. Page turns can be significantly slower with such books.
Oh. Maybe. I don't use epub. I don't like it. I am still using LRF.
But then why did they time epub? Why not pdf that would take 3-5 seconds? or LRF with embedded fonts that would take 3-5 seconds too? Why not a native format?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Probably because ePub is the format that's being heavily "pushed" in the UK with the Waterstones eBook store.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote