Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
crankypants
Hmm.
crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android 4.2 Google Play Reader
Best practice to OCR and convert PDF to text or html or epub

I'd like to convert some PDF files to EPUB but the PDF files are just scanned images, some of the pages are not that great. Example: Book of the Farm.

What's your best set of steps using windows or Ubuntu software?
crankypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #2
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
I'm on Windows and I use onenote (part of MS Office). I've good to great results depending on how good the scan is.
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2015, 01:21 PM   #3
crankypants
Hmm.
crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've never used OneNote so I poked around a bit and I don't see a way to open or import a PDF file. How do you do it in OneNote?
Old 10-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankypants View Post
I've never used OneNote so I poked around a bit and I don't see a way to open or import a PDF file. How do you do it in OneNote?
What I do is to open the pdf then right click and select copy picture, if it's available. Else printscreen. Then paste it into onenote. Then right click on the picture and select copy text from picture.
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
crankypants
Hmm.

Oh, that won't work for me. I have 500+ scanned pages to convert.
Advert
Old 10-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The real professionals swear by ABBYY Finereader. But that doesn't come cheap.
Of course, depending on how much use you get out of it, it might be worth the expenditure.

The best free alternative is the open-source Tesseract OCR engine, which can be used by various graphical frontends.
You could try k2pdfopt -- it is a PDF reflow tool that can also embed OCR data using Tesseract.

And it's a CLI tool, so easily scriptable.

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-28-2015 at 02:32 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:02 AM   #7
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I thought Finereader had a website option for single jobs, but apparently not.

The trial version will do 100 pages, but I think only 3 pages at a time.

I got mine on a bit of a sale. I think it was under $100, worth it just for the one book I scanned.

(Unfortunately, the book was about ski-bums, and Finereader interpreted the lower case m as rn, so I got a lot of ski-burns in the Word doc. I suppose that was font-specific.)
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:11 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
(Unfortunately, the book was about ski-bums, and Finereader interpreted the lower case m as rn, so I got a lot of ski-burns in the Word doc. I suppose that was font-specific.)
That's the kind of issue that no software can fix for you, and why it's essential to proof-read. I had a similar issue in a book with the words "clock" and "dock".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:16 AM   #9
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandathePanda View Post
What I do is to open the pdf then right click and select copy picture, if it's available. Else printscreen. Then paste it into onenote. Then right click on the picture and select copy text from picture.
An easier way to extract all the images from a PDF (especially a "scan-PDF") is with xpdf's pdfimages

Get from http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/download.html

There may be a GUI way to do it, but the command line:

pdfimages book.pdf -j book
will create a series of images book001.jpg...
from the input file book.pdf.
Usually these will be jpegs, but if the images were bitmaps, it gives you ppm images.
You can convert those to png with e.g Irfanview if you can't read them directly.

This extracts the images as they are stored, so they aren't degraded by recompression.

On the original question; ABBYY Fineviewer is what I use, but it's Windows only.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:31 AM   #10
Kennth
Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
se abby fine reader or Tesseract OCR engine which is open source for OCR and then convert the files into ePub.
Kennth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:03 AM   #11
senhal
Connoisseur
senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
On the original question; ABBYY Fineviewer is what I use, but it's Windows only.
I tried FR8 on ubuntu+wine: almost perfect, some minor bugs.
senhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #12
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankypants View Post
I'd like to convert some PDF files to EPUB but the PDF files are just scanned images, some of the pages are not that great. Example: Book of the Farm. ...
This is a nice thread--lots of good suggestions. Just checking--I figure you know this, and I know it's not the point of the thread, but for that particular example a decent EPUB conversion has already been done and is available on that same web site.
PS. There is another thread on this topic last posted in about a year ago. Also, here is my PDF conversion tips page.

Last edited by willus; 11-05-2015 at 09:07 AM.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #13
crankypants
Hmm.

I just found this website: http://pdftotext.com/ which seems to convert PDF files to text pretty reliably, maybe even competing with the Abbyy product. However it doesn't grab images. And I suspect if your PDF is just a series of scanned images (true for most Google public domain books) it won't work. It's not an OCR program, it just extracts the text from the PDF.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:28 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
ABBYY is an OCR program.

It isn't hard to extract the actual text from a PDF with text, although getting the paragraph breaks right can be tricky.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:43 AM   #15
crankypants
Hmm.

I also found that Adobe Acrobat (not the free READER), can also do decent OCR. But you need the full paid version of Acrobat. I used Acrobat X.