Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
Dinosour23
Dinosour23 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Love 650, want a whiter screen

Hey Mobileread, so I have a couple questions for you today.
I have been reading for several years now on my 650, and it is still reliable
I do however want to grow from that screen to something more white and higher res.

1. Is the T3 well made and reliable ? good screen ?
2. Paperwhite and Aura HD - Can they reflow on the device itself without k2pdf ?
3. are they made sturdy like my 650 ? This is important because its in my pocket on hikes a lot... Gets banged here and there.\

Thanks !!
Dinosour23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
What is it you love about the 650? One thing to understand about the T3 is that the firmware is different - it's Android based. So the way the 650 works is not guaranteed to carry over to the Tx models. For example, the alphabetic list on the right-hand side of the 650 list is missing from the Tx series. (It's the thing I missed the most).

I've seen posts where people really loved their Tx readers - so you first have to know what specifically it is you'd like to carry forward to your next reader.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there's anything as sturdy as the early Sonys (PRS-950, -650, -350, -505, -700, -600, -300, -500).
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
In answer to number 2 no ereaders other than Sony have PDF reflow.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there's anything as sturdy as the early Sonys (PRS-950, -650, -350, -505, -700, -600, -300, -500).
Well they certainly have a perceived sturdiness due to their metal casings, but as far as there being a tangible increase in durability vs the plastic readers I don't know. It's not like there are a rash of complaints on the plastic cased devices and plastic is often stronger than many give it credit for, it's just often perceived as cheap or not sturdy/durable.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
Dinosour23

Ok, so i decided plastic is not a problem anymore, and wiped off t3 from my options. Ill have to use the pc soft to reflow.

Next, is the Kobo HD the best screen in the ereader market ? Is,there anything else that comes close besides Paperwhite ?

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The newly announced Kobo Aura H2O will probably be the best screen available (it has the same Carta e-ink that the Paperwhite has), and while other readers have benefits over the Kindle PW2, in terms of screen quality, the Aura HD/H20 and PW2 seem to be a class above everything else.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Isn't the new Pocketbook Ultra 650 in the same class as Kobo Aura and Kindle Paperwhite?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #9
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Isn't the new Pocketbook Ultra 650 in the same class as Kobo Aura and Kindle Paperwhite?
As the Kobo Aura yes, but not the Aura HD or new Aura H2O. They are higher definition and the H2O is higher def and Carta e-ink.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
The newly announced Kobo Aura H2O will probably be the best screen available (it has the same Carta e-ink that the Paperwhite has), and while other readers have benefits over the Kindle PW2, in terms of screen quality, the Aura HD/H20 and PW2 seem to be a class above everything else.
From the reviews and comments posted on MR by those with review devices, it appears that H2O is a nice step up in whiteness and screen goodness over the Aura HD. I love my HD, but based on what I've seen/heard I'm splurging on the H2O to replace it. H2O is currently pre-order and isn't officially released until Oct 1.

But I would agree with FizzyWater's first comments to figure out what you like/don't like in terms of features (and most importantly deal breakers) and use that as a starting point.

Last edited by robko; 09-12-2014 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Added comment about features
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:14 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
In answer to number 2 no ereaders other than Sony have PDF reflow.
This isn't true, Josie; a number of reading devices offer PDF reflow. Onyx and Pocketbook devices have always had it, to name but two other brands.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:54 AM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
No, in terms of the front-lit screen quality, the Kobo Aura isn't as good as the PW2 (Kobo need to work on improving their capacitive touch layer compared to the PW), similarly despite having similar specs, the Pocketbook Ultra 650 doesn't appear to be as good (and it doesn't have the 'excuse' of a capacitive touch screen). As stated at the end of a review on goodereader (not the best source I know!): "Cons - Front-lit display is not on par with the Kobo Aura H20 or Kindle Paperwhite".

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
From the reviews and comments posted on MR by those with review devices, it appears that H2O is a nice step up in whiteness and screen goodness over the Aura HD. I love my HD, but based on what I've seen/heard I'm splurging on the H2O to replace it. H2O is currently pre-order and isn't officially released until Oct 1.
Just to clarify, I didn't mean the screen quality on the Aura HD, H2O and PW2 are equal, just that generally speaking they are amongst the best, and a step above what else is available. From the little we've seen so far, it seems pretty likely that the Aura H2O will be out on its own as the best.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 09-13-2014 at 08:58 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #13
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I managed to have a look at both a PW2 and the Aura HD in the shops yesterday, coming from the same position as the OP as a PRS-650 owner. I played with the screen lighting on both, but in the brightly lit shops it wasn't particularly relevant - though the range of brightness seemed greater on the PW2.

The PW2 had a whiter screen background than the Aura HD, but the Aura HD text seemed sharper. Of the two, though, I would have picked the PW2. The contrast on the Aura HD felt about the same as on my old PRS-650.

However, I want to see what the Auro H2O looks like in comparison.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:10 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosour23 View Post
Ok, so i decided plastic is not a problem anymore, and wiped off t3 from my options. Ill have to use the pc soft to reflow.

Next, is the Kobo HD the best screen in the ereader market ? Is,there anything else that comes close besides Paperwhite ?

Thanks!
The Kobo Aura H2O is a better screen then the Paperwhite 2. The frontlight is even better then the Aura HD. In the video that GoodEreader did that compared the HD to the H2O, it even has a quick look at the PW2. I think the H2O is the best of the three.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #15
Dinosour23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I managed to have a look at both a PW2 and the Aura HD in the shops yesterday, coming from the same position as the OP as a PRS-650 owner. I played with the screen lighting on both, but in the brightly lit shops it wasn't particularly relevant - though the range of brightness seemed greater on the PW2.

The PW2 had a whiter screen background than the Aura HD, but the Aura HD text seemed sharper. Of the two, though, I would have picked the PW2. The contrast on the Aura HD felt about the same as on my old PRS-650.

However, I want to see what the Auro H2O looks like in comparison.

Graham
Would you say difference in quality is obvious between Kobo and PRS650 ?

Again its not that I really care. words are words when it comes to my books, but I use it so much that if I can get somEthing sharper for 150$ that's peanuts.