Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
markwaltermd
markwaltermd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-T1
Problem with HTML to MOBI Conversion

I've been using Calibre to convert documents that I've prepared in MS Word 2010 and saved into the intermediate format of filtered HTML. I've had no problem converting the HTML into EPUB books for my Sony eReader; however, when I convert the same HTML document into MOBI (with "Kindle" output selected), the formatting is terribly altered. For starters, the fonts are heavily upsized, so if the document was made with chapter headings that started off as a Constantia font size 20 in MS Word, upon conversion to MOBI, these fonts get increased to something around a 40 size, crowding the page and altering the formatting in the body of the documents.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I choose a different output than "Kindle," or is there another way to remedy this problem?
markwaltermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
So the ePub is fine? Just convert the ePub to Mobi instead of the HTML.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
markwaltermd

When I convert from the epub to mobi, it does not fix all of the formatting issues -- at least within the Calibre viewer. One thing that did improve the formatting in the Calibre window was to convert the HTML to MOBI using the Sony eReader output profile rather than the Kindle output profile. Still, I don't know how this will appear in Kindle. So far, all the mobi ebooks on my blog have been created using the Kindle output profile. Would someone with a Kindle be so good as to download a couple of the mobi books from my blog and tell me how they view?

http://calvinistcafe.blogspot.com/

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwaltermd View Post
Would someone with a Kindle be so good as to download a couple of the mobi books from my blog and tell me how they view?
I would if I wasn't getting on a plane in a few hours, but hopefully someone will. Have you tried them in Kindle Previewer to see how they look on various Kindle platforms?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwaltermd View Post
When I convert from the epub to mobi, it does not fix all of the formatting issues -- at least within the Calibre viewer. ...
Never rely on calibre's Ebook Viewer for proofing. To proof Kindle/Mobi files use Kindle Preview 2 as your primary tool.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
markwaltermd

Thanks for the replies. Converting from the EPUB to MOBI does not fix all of the formatting issues. I also used the Kindle Preview application that was recommended, and I noticed that the hyperlinks that I made for the TOC in my HTML document were no longer active in the Kindle Preview app. Is this because I'm not using metadata/logical TOC?

If this issue is related to not having metadata TOC, is there a program which will automatically convert the hyperlinks in the "Table of Contents" section of my HTML document to a logical TOC in MOBI?