Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #16
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Honestly, when talking about FREE apps, i've been much more pleased with what i've gotten for my Droid than I have with my ipod touch.
The number of free and useful apps that I have gotten from the Amazon store on a daily basis (some in use on my Android tablet) has made me really think hard about going on and getting that iPhone I've always wanted. It would cost a nice bit of change to buy what I already own.

At the same time, some apps that I really want are exclusive to iOS. It seems that if developers decide that they have resources for only one platform, they decide to go iOS.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #17
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Exactly why do you visit the Android forum?
lol, I'm assuming RockdaMan visits the Android forum for the same reasons non-Apple users frequent the Apple Forums.

edit: oh, and I guess because he's an Android user :d
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #18
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bilbo, I own an Android device. A Pandigital novel.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #19
RockdaMan
Banned

Here is something a iOS developer wrote this morning after removing his free app from the iOS app store.

He refuses to develop for Android (something that frustrates me because I like his web-based product and it would work perfectly for my tablet). I consider it to be a bit of a myth.

Quote:
Instapaper Free always had worse reviews in iTunes than the paid app. Part of this is that the paid app was better, of course, but a lot of the Free reviews were completely unreasonable.

Only people who buy the paid app — and therefore have no problem paying $5 for an app — can post reviews for it. That filters out a lot of the sorts of customers who will leave unreasonable, incomprehensible, or inflammatory reviews. (It also filters out many people likely to need a lot of support.)

I don’t need every customer. I’m primarily in the business of selling a product for money. How much effort do I really want to devote to satisfying people who are unable or extremely unlikely to pay for anything?

(This is also a major reason why I have no plans to enter the Android market.)
Old 04-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #20
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #21
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Here is something a iOS developer wrote this morning after removing his free app from the iOS app store.

He refuses to develop for Android (something that frustrates me because I like his web-based product and it would work perfectly for my tablet). I consider it to be a bit of a myth.
Hey, that's real good business sense, leaving out half of the market (Android). And that market is growing a lot faster than iOS.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #22
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Hey, that's real good business sense, leaving out half of the market (Android).
It's not as black and white as "leaving out half of the market".

It's only half of the market if a big enough part of it would pay him enough to reward the time and effort it would take to develop an Android version.

He thinks not. Whether that is the truth or not, we will probably never know.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #23
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Hey, that's real good business sense, leaving out half of the market (Android). And that market is growing a lot faster than iOS.
Marco co-founded Tumblr, and left it recently to run Instapaper full time. I think he's shown pretty decent business sense so far in how he's handled both companies-and he does give his reasons (beyond the simple "I don't like xxx")
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:02 AM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I own Android, iOS, Kindle, Nook, Sony, and reading apps for everything else. So I'm free to visit pretty much every forum here and slam away.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #25
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I own Android, iOS, Kindle, Nook, Sony, and reading apps for everything else. So I'm free to visit pretty much every forum here and slam away.
And tube socks too!
Old 04-29-2011, 06:42 AM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And tube socks too!
Oh yeah, mustn't forget the socks
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:43 AM   #27
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Oh yeah, mustn't forget the socks
Wouldn't want to restrict access to the Fashion threads (like in the apple forum).
Old 04-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #28
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
That link or poll does not discriminate or provides a detailed report. There are several free apps on both market that actually do the same or are basically the same but with different names or a made by different developers. Power widgets are a good example (on Android, of course)

For Os customization or Os feature function shortcuts, Android Market has more and better apps. Of course, it is strictly related to the way Android works. Games, magazines, news apps, I've found that iOs has better developed apps, even when some of them are free; I am assuming that has something to do with the time that iPad, which has a larger screen or was the 1st 10" tablet, has been already in the market.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #29
RockdaMan
Banned

This article bemoans the lack of tablet-optimized apps for Honeycomb.

Quote:
Google has taken a very narrow view of what it needs to do for Honeycomb, and has restricted its coding to the OS itself. The many reviews of Honeycomb that report how half-baked it is demonstrate that Google has so far failed to produce a solid platform for the tablet. That failure is clear in the market for Android tablets, with not a single successful tablet either available or in the works.

Given the state of Honeycomb as a platform, and Google’s failure to produce decent apps of its own, it is no wonder developers are not rushing to produce Honeycomb apps. There’s no indication there will be a return for such effort any time soon, so who can blame them? Unfortunately, that doesn’t bode well for the viability of Honeycomb devices in the near future.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-new...mb-tablet/2237
Old 04-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #30
kennyc

Quote:
Yes Why? All you seem to want to do is troll.