Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
Csilla
Csilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Exclamation HELP? 2 questions for K3

So I've got a Kindle 3 wifi version only and I think I may of deleted a folder? or not in the root. When I open the kindle via computer it has 5 items only; ".active-content-data", "audible", "documents", "music", "metadata-calibre"
My problem stems from the battery life I've had the K3 for around 7months and I've noticed now after just loading 400 books on and left charging till the indexing was at 3? That it keeps indexing over and over till the battery is nothing.

I've read from other parts of mobileread that people suggest going to "search index" folder and deleting everything inside it? So I was wondering did I by mistake delete a folder I wasn't supposed to and can I just make another folder or do I need to update (v.3.0.1)/reset to factory etc?

Thank you
Csilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
The index folder is in a hidden "system" folder - you can't see it by default.

It sounds like you have some books with indexing issues. This happens sometimes. You need to delete the problem books from the Kindle and re-download them. That usually fixes it. Are these books from Amazon or somewhere else?
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Csilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
The index folder is in a hidden "system" folder - you can't see it by default.

It sounds like you have some books with indexing issues. This happens sometimes. You need to delete the problem books from the Kindle and re-download them. That usually fixes it. Are these books from Amazon or somewhere else?
I've already tried viewing hidden folders via the folder options and nothing is showing up. I've downloaded fanfiction via a downloader to html files then converting them to mobi with calibre. When I put in a nonsense string like zzzt or w.e I get indexing amount to the same as xxx amount I've put onto the kindle. Even when I load books I brought from sony store, barns and nobles I get indexing issues still? Should I maybe ask for a new one from amazon?
Old 02-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csilla View Post
I've already tried viewing hidden folders via the folder options and nothing is showing up. I've downloaded fanfiction via a downloader to html files then converting them to mobi with calibre. When I put in a nonsense string like zzzt or w.e I get indexing amount to the same as xxx amount I've put onto the kindle. Even when I load books I brought from sony store, barns and nobles I get indexing issues still? Should I maybe ask for a new one from amazon?
You need to choose the option to review protected system files and folders, not the "hidden files and folders" option. Or, (if you're using Windows) you can add "/system" to the file path in the Explorer address bar. (For ex, if your Kindle is f:/, the path would be f:/system. To do this in Vista or Win 7, click in any empty space in the Explorer address bar to make it editable.

I don't know that you need a new one, but it is possible. We've just seen a lot of indexing issues here that were resolved by finding the book or books that had issues, or by cleaning out the index folder and starting over.

If you'd rather, you can contact Kindle support and they can probably walk you through checking if it's an indexing issue or something else. You can go to the Kindle Support pages on the web site and click on the "contact us" button and have them call you, or you can call them. If you're in the US, the number is 1-866-321-8851. If you're in another country, you can call 1-206-266-0927.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I've already tried viewing hidden folders via the folder options and nothing is showing up.
Besides selecting 'Show hidden files and folders' in the folder options, you also need to uncheck the 'Hide protected operating system files' option as well.

But deleting everything inside the index folder is just going to make it start indexing everything all over again (much time and battery). You need to find the problem books - like CWatkinsNash said - and delete and re-download those books.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
Csilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Besides selecting 'Show hidden files and folders' in the folder options, you also need to uncheck the 'Hide protected operating system files' option as well.

But deleting everything inside the index folder is just going to make it start indexing everything all over again (much time and battery). You need to find the problem books - like CWatkinsNash said - and delete and re-download those books.
Alrighty then I've found it thanks guys and it has 4189 items in the search folder should I delete them all? since I only have 400 items on the kindle? And will running my mobis through calibre again to mobi again fix the issues? cause all of my fanfictions seem to keep reindexing or is it a issue with the 4k items showing up?
Old 02-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Alrighty then I've found it thanks guys and it has 4189 items in the search folder should I delete them all? since I only have 400 items on the kindle? And will running my mobis through calibre again to mobi again fix the issues? cause all of my fanfictions seem to keep reindexing or is it a issue with the 4k items showing up?
I would delete them all, completely clear out your Kindle and start from scratch. Load about 5-10 at a time and wait about 30 minutes in between.
Reconverting your books likely wont help, it sounds like you're just overloading your Kindle.

ETA do you have a computer you can plug it into?
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
With those numbers, yeah, I'd clean them out and start over. Read my whole post before proceeding.

Now, when I do a cleanout, I do a factory reset and start over from new, but not everyone wants to do that because you have to re-register, set up wifi again and all that. I find it's faster, but like I said, not everyone agrees.

You can clean out the index folder, and expect the Kindle to take an average of one minute per full-length novel to reindex everything again. (That's the average I get on mine, but it will vary depending on your content.) After you've waited a reasonable time for reindexing, do the nonsense search for anything still not indexed. If there is, select the "items still need to be indexed" result on the Kindle and it will list them for you - those are the ones you will then want to delete from the Kindle, then connect to calibre, mobi>mobi convert those files and reload.

But wait a few minutes before doing any of that and see if Diap has anymore wisdom to impart - he may have something I didn't think of, and it's always good to get more than one opinion.

Edited to add: Make sure you keep your Kindle plugged into a power source - indexing will drain the battery quickly, as you've already discovered.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
But wait a few minutes before doing any of that and see if Diap has anymore wisdom to impart - he may have something I didn't think of, and it's always good to get more than one opinion
Nope. It sounds like you're all over it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
Csilla

Quote:
With those numbers, yeah, I'd clean them out and start over. Read my whole post before proceeding.

Now, when I do a cleanout, I do a factory reset and start over from new, but not everyone wants to do that because you have to re-register, set up wifi again and all that. I find it's faster, but like I said, not everyone agrees.

You can clean out the index folder, and expect the Kindle to take an average of one minute per full-length novel to reindex everything again. (That's the average I get on mine, but it will vary depending on your content.) After you've waited a reasonable time for reindexing, do the nonsense search for anything still not indexed. If there is, select the "items still need to be indexed" result on the Kindle and it will list them for you - those are the ones you will then want to delete from the Kindle, then connect to calibre, mobi>mobi convert those files and reload.

But wait a few minutes before doing any of that and see if Diap has anymore wisdom to impart - he may have something I didn't think of, and it's always good to get more than one opinion.

Edited to add: Make sure you keep your Kindle plugged into a power source - indexing will drain the battery quickly, as you've already discovered.
Yes I do have a computer to connect via usb

When I do the nonsense string it shows it all as in 400 books still to be indexed. most of my books in mobi break the 1mb amount it seems. So yes I will delete the entire contents of the folder and see if the battery suffers after I fully recharge it again and see from there how it goes later on. I'll also give the mobis another run through calibre and see how that goes and yep I'll wait a bit more before I do it all too see if Diap does have anymore suggestions for me.

Thanks a lot guys
Old 02-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Yes I do have a computer to connect via usb

When I do the nonsense string it shows it all as in 400 books still to be indexed. most of my books in mobi break the 1mb amount it seems. So yes I will delete the entire contents of the folder and see if the battery suffers after I fully recharge it again and see from there how it goes later on. I'll also give the mobis another run through calibre and see how that goes and yep I'll wait a bit more before I do it all too see if Diap does have anymore suggestions for me.

Thanks a lot guys
Let us know how it goes for you. And remember that indexing always seems to take forever when you're waiting for it. I'm reindexing right now, and even though it's going along just fine, it brings out my impatience.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #12
Csilla

Quote:
Let us know how it goes for you. And remember that indexing always seems to take forever when you're waiting for it. I'm reindexing right now, and even though it's going along just fine, it brings out my impatience.
Well after deleting the entire search index the k3 isn't repeating the indexing anymore. Now shows 0 items after indexing once also battery life is stable once more it seems unless tomorrow it drops to 1/3 hope not. Much appreciated to you all for pointing me where and how to get to the search index.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Well after deleting the entire search index the k3 isn't repeating the indexing anymore. Now shows 0 items after indexing once also battery life is stable once more it seems unless tomorrow it drops to 1/3 hope not. Much appreciated to you all for pointing me where and how to get to the search index.
Yay! Success! I'm glad it worked.