Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: December 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky 10 10.53%
Walden by Henry David Thoreau 8 8.42%
Call of the Wild by Jack London 5 5.26%
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens 11 11.58%
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins 17 17.89%
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas 10 10.53%
A Room With A View by E. M. Forster 12 12.63%
War of the Worlds by H G Wells 16 16.84%
Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain 5 5.26%
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë 1 1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #46
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I voted for War of the Worlds since that's how this thread threatened to start ...

Actually, I've read approximately nothing on the list; maybe Karamazov but I think it's one of the few Dostoyevsky's I've missed.

But HG Wells ... remarkable that this iconic book was written in 1898. It has been so influential in shaping popular fiction, views on "what's out there" and what that might mean. Darwin's Origin of the Species was published only a few years before; Freud's Interpretation of Dreams was published shortly after. Kings and Queens still ruled much of Europe ... and Sherlock Holmes had met his end at Reichenbach Falls ... what an era!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #47
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
BOb, I don't usually hold off unless I need to decide. But I wouldn't mind a hidden poll. Ok, sheesh, I'll vote now.

But I don't know what to vote for
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 06:42 AM   #48
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
A 3 Way tie right now...wow! Neck and Neck!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #49
jpuntd
jpuntd doesn't litterjpuntd doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook Pro 902
I voted for Walden. I really enjoyed Robert Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Walden is often mentioned as being in a similar vein.
jpuntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #50
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I voted for Room with a View but I am suprised that Wuthering Heights is lagging is much as it is. If there was a Classic classical category I'm sure it would be in that list.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #51
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Boy, this is turning out to be a real horse race! I'm excited to find out who wins, I wouldn't mind reading any of the books on the list. I've read some of them before, but it's been a while. Heck, I should just go ahead and load all of 'em on my reader.

I'm of two minds on the hidden/open poll issue. I think it would get a more "honest" representation of the votes, but we'd miss out on the interest of the selection process. Maybe we can alternate the types of votes between months??
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Simultaneously? That would blow my mind. Lol
Um.. no.. one at a time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Why? I don't understand that. Perhaps from now on I should make the poll hidden until it is closed so people vote for what they want to read... and not based on the current votes.

BOb
I do think that would be a very good idea. From what we've been seeing, a lot of people vote for what might be a front runner and not what they actually want.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Walden, especially now with the Tea Party Movement, the Transcendentalists are more important to revisit than ever...
Nah.. let's just get rid of the tea party (worst party ever thrown in history). Then no need to revisit.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
BOb, I don't usually hold off unless I need to decide. But I wouldn't mind a hidden poll. Ok, sheesh, I'll vote now.

But I don't know what to vote for
So what did you vote for?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I have read War of the Worlds. If it wins, I shall reread it. It's been a while and I know it's good enough for another read.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #57
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So what did you vote for?
She voted for Wuthering heights. The votes are public in the MRBC polls.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #58
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I haven't voted yet, so whoever hasn't voted, let's start an alliance. I don't want to read War of the Worlds. I don't feel like reading Great Expectations (although it was a great read) again. I would like to read The Woman In White, The Count of Monte Cristo, or maybe A Room with a View.

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #59
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)

my vote is cast but I guess I'm going to read great expectations whether it wins or not.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #60
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Yeah War....go go go go!!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote