Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #16
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
The other issue is how to market a strip that is produced on an irregular schedule. He didn't have the tools back then. Even the Internet has some deficiencies. (How do you keep people visiting your website when they don't know something new is going to be there?)
RSS & Atom feeds can do that but there's a surprising lack of awareness about them.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Yet part of the pleasure of Calvin and Hobbes, at least to an adult, is that Calvin never grew up. I'm not so certain that I'm prepared for this Calvin: http://gerrycanavan.blogspot.ca/2009/03/grown-up-calvin-and-hobbes.html
I always thought there might be room for Calvin and Hobbes: The next generation.
(A daughter, of course. With daddy always off camera.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #18
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I always thought there might be room for Calvin and Hobbes: The next generation.
(A daughter, of course. With daddy always off camera.)
Or even these four:
http://www.pantsareoverrated.com/arc...bes-and-bacon/
http://www.pantsareoverrated.com/arc...and-bacon-002/
http://www.pantsareoverrated.com/arc...nd-bacon-03-2/
http://www.pantsareoverrated.com/arc...nd-bacon-04-2/

Last edited by Kirtai; 12-27-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: added other three links
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #19
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Yup.
Exactly what I had in mind.

Sadly, those also illustrate Waterson's point about the old syndicated cartoon corporate system. He created Calvin and Hobbes to express himself and he stopped the series when he felt it was time to do so. It is his creation and he is entitled to control it as he sees fit, regardless of the unmet demand for more.

If he hadn't asserted himself and instead "gone with the flow" the series would have continued (perhaps under carefully selected succesors) and eventually something like this (very nice homage) would have at some point replaced his vision out of commercial necessity. And the end result would not necessarily be as tasteful.

As much as I love the homage, I do respect his decision. I just wish he'd reverse it, even if just for a while.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote