Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
MrB
Very Slow Learner
MrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-books

Device: none
Wanted: a) Reassurance b) HTML TOC advice

Sorry to bother you all again, but...

a) Having created (but not yet perfected) my book with Sigil I have put it through the kindle Previewer which has thrown up one or two problems. Is this the right forum for these problems or should I be posting in Sigil?

b) Through searching the forums, I know that a lot of time has been spent on TOCs and I apologise if the solution is out there and I haven't found it. I used Sigil 6.0 to create the HTML TOC required by kindle but the Previewer says I haven't got an HTML TOC.

In content.opf I have:

<item href="Text/TOC.html" id="TOC.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
</manifest>
<spine toc="ncx">
<itemref idref="TOC.html" />

and:

</spine>
<guide>
<reference href="Text/Cover.xhtml" title="Cover" type="cover" />
<reference href="Text/Copyright.xhtml" title="Copyright Page" type="copyright-page" />
<reference href="Text/Acknowledgements.xhtml" title="Acknowledgements" type="acknowledgements" />
<reference href="Text/TOC.html" title="Table Of Contents" type="toc" />
</guide>

I used kindle Previewer 2.51.

I suspect the question might make you not and the answer might even make me but I'm looking forward to learning what it is. Thanks for your suggestions.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Actually, there's nothing in the portions of the OPF you've included that looks wrong. You've correctly manifested the HTML ToC's file ("item"), the HTML ToC's id has been inserted into the spine ("itemref"), and a reference to the HTML ToC has been included in the guide section of the OPF.

Semantically, all is correct ... IF the physical file is truly named "TOC.html" (case sensitive), it exists (in the "Text" folder), and Kindlegen (Previewer) isn't choking on parsing it and its various links.

Do you get any errors/warnings in the build log?

EDIT: Also note that the "Copyright" and "Acknowledgement" references in the guide section of the OPF will not be recognized/used by kindlegen or Amazon devices. Only "cover," "toc," and "text" are valid reference types when building a MOBI/KF8 file with kindlegen/previewer.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
MrB
Very Slow Learner
MrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Actually, there's nothing in the portions of the OPF you've included that looks wrong. You've correctly manifested the HTML ToC's file ("item"), the HTML ToC's id has been inserted into the spine ("itemref"), and a reference to the HTML ToC has been included in the guide section of the OPF.

Semantically, all is correct ...
Encouraged by your reply - not the first time you've helped me out - I saved the epub file under a different name, submitted it to the previewer and, abracadabra, all appears to be working as it should. I don't know why

There is one thing I don't understand from the report:

Info(cssparser):I10012: @font-face should have both font-family and src declaration. Check the font face declaration in the css style: "C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\mbp_7DC_B_1_13 _1D_138_226C_2FD8_1\OEBPS\Styles\Style.css"

I can't track down the file but I'm assuming it's nothing serious.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
There is one thing I don't understand from the report:

Info(cssparser):I10012: @font-face should have both font-family and src declaration. Check the font face declaration in the css style: "C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\mbp_7DC_B_1_13 _1D_138_226C_2FD8_1\OEBPS\Styles\Style.css"

I can't track down the file but I'm assuming it's nothing serious.
Don't pay any attention to kindlegen's temporary locations. It's talking about your Style.css file that can be found in the "Styles" folder (if you're looking at the ePub with Sigil). Are you trying to embed fonts (in the source ePub)? It sounds like there might be an issue with an @font-face statement in your CSS file. Even though the MOBI/KF8 is getting built, there could be issues with the embedded fonts not displaying properly in the KF8 portion of kindlegen's final product.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Sigil 0.6.0 will allow you to check your CSS stylesheet via the W3C validator. That may help locate the error with the font references.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
MrB
Very Slow Learner

Quote:
Don't pay any attention to kindlegen's temporary locations.
Good - that was confusing!

Quote:
Are you trying to embed fonts (in the source ePub)? It sounds like there might be an issue with an @font-face statement in your CSS file.
Yes. I have been using the same file as the basis for both an e-pub edition and a kindle edition. I needed to embed a particular font (Lucida Handwriting) for it to appear in ADE and have not removed it for the kindle version. I use it only once in the book, in an unordered list, so my code has been:

@font-face {
font-family: "Lucida Handwriting";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src:url(../Fonts/LHANDW.TTF);
}

and

ul {
font-family: "Lucida Handwriting", "Bradley Hand", Serif;
font-weight: normal;
font-size: 100%;
text-indent: 0;
margin: 2em;
}

If you can suggest any improvements they'll be welcome.

Well, I was about to post and then I thought I'd check whether the font appears in the kindle previewer. It does in kindle fire & touch but not in any other device. But of greater concern is that it is only in Fire & Touch that the text appears as a list (in iPad & iPhone the items all appear together to form a paragraph with a bullet point next to the first word).

Where am I going wrong?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
But of greater concern is that it is only in Fire & Touch that the text appears as a list (in iPad & iPhone the items all appear together to form a paragraph with a bullet point next to the first word).

Where am I going wrong?
You're not really "going wrong" so much as discovering that different devices/apps are different. Welcome to the "You're never going to quite come up with the one perfect solution that works everywhere, every time" club.

As far as lists go (ul, ol, li)... different device/apps (whether ePub or mobi) all seems to have their own little subtle variations on rendering them. So I just don't use them. At all. I just use paragraphs, insert my own bullet/number if I want them, and style them with CSS to create the effect I want.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
MrB
Very Slow Learner

Quote:
Welcome to the "You're never going to quite come up with the one perfect solution that works everywhere, every time" club.
Thank you kindly for your warm welcome!

Quote:
So I just don't use them. At all. I just use paragraphs, insert my own bullet/number if I want them, and style them with CSS to create the effect I want.
Well, I want to optimise the reading experience for all (i.e. both) of my readers so I'll re-write my style-sheet. If you could possibly point me in the right direction for quickly converting <ul> and <li> etc. to <p> I'd be grateful: I can do it slowly and laboriously but am always keen to learn labour-saving techniques

Yet again, many thanks for your assistance.