Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
Jafo
Enthusiast
Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo (original)
Can't Re-add Book

Hi all,
I opened a book on my Kobo and didn't like the margins. So I removed it from my Kobo with Calibre, did my modifications, and clicked Send to Device. I can see that it is on the device in Calibre. I disconnect from my pc and look for the book on my Kobo but it's not there. So I reconnect to the pc and I see the book is still in my library but not on my Kobo. So I click Send to Device again. Again, I can see that it is on the device. So I disconnect and look for it on the Kobo, but it's not there. I've tried rebooting, removing the book from the Calibre library and adding the original book back to Calibre and doing my mods but nothing is working.
What the heck am I doing wrong?
Thanks!
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
One thing I've found in the past is it's best to do a disconnect / reconnect after droppping a book and before re-adding it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Jafo
Enthusiast
Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thanks for the reply. I've tried that. Of course, I didn't try that in the first place so I don't know if it would have worked had I done that the first time. I've deleted the book from the Kobo, deleted it from the library, disconnected the Kobo, rebooted the Kobo, rebooted the computer, reconnected the Kobo, re-added the book to Calibre (original copy that was never in the Calibre library), re-add it to the Kobo but still, when I disconnect the Kobo and look for it on the Kobo, it's not there. It's almost like something is messed up with a database and it's stuck in a loop thinking I want it removed from the Kobo so even after I re-add it, it removes itself again.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
re-add it to the Kobo but still, when I disconnect the Kobo and look for it on the Kobo, it's not there.
I don't have a Kobo how did you "re-add" the book to the Kobo. Did you use the send to device feature in calibre?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
Jafo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I don't have a Kobo how did you "re-add" the book to the Kobo. Did you use the send to device feature in calibre?
Yes I did.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Desperate times call for desperate measures
First I would check that the file is on the Kobo using OS (Windows my computer etc.)and that it is the correct format(epub?)
Then exit calibre and see if it is still there (before disconnecting Kobo)
Not sure what to do next but might help to know when it is disappearing>
Optionally you could add the book using the Kobo software and see if that works.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
D
Optionally you could add the book using the Kobo software and see if that works.
The Kobo desktop ONLY adds material obtained in Kobo eBook format from the Kobo store.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
Jafo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Desperate times call for desperate measures
First I would check that the file is on the Kobo using OS (Windows my computer etc.)and that it is the correct format(epub?)
Then exit calibre and see if it is still there (before disconnecting Kobo)
Not sure what to do next but might help to know when it is disappearing>
Helen
Thanks for the help. I dragged and dropped the epub to Calibre, connected the Kobo, hit Send to Device and confirmed it was on the Kobo. Then I opened file explorer and confirmed it is in the file list on the Kobo. I shut down Calibre and the file remained in the file list in file explorer. I shut down file explorer and restarted it, the epub file remained in the list in file explorer. Then I disconnected the Kobo and the book was not on it. I reconnected it to the computer (with Calibre closed) and the file is still in the file list in file explorer. I then opened Calibre and Calibre shows the book in the library but not on the Kobo. File explorer still shows the epub on the Kobo in the file list.
I hope I'm not missing something simple here after all this time!
By the way, this is not the first time it happened but last time it happened I just let it go without trying to fix it.
Thanks!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
By the way, this is not the first time it happened but last time it happened I just let it go without trying to fix it.
The Kobo seems to be a little quirky at times, try setting Metadata management under Preferences - Sending books to devices to automatic.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I dragged and dropped the epub to Calibre, connected the Kobo, hit Send to Device and confirmed it was on the Kobo. Then I opened file explorer and confirmed it is in the file list on the Kobo. I shut down Calibre and the file remained in the file list in file explorer. I shut down file explorer and restarted it, the epub file remained in the list in file explorer. Then I disconnected the Kobo and the book was not on it. I reconnected it to the computer (with Calibre closed) and the file is still in the file list in file explorer. I then opened Calibre and Calibre shows the book in the library but not on the Kobo. File explorer still shows the epub on the Kobo in the file list.
I hope I'm not missing something simple here after all this time!
Thanks!
Did you try the Kobo Software?
I don't have a Kobo but...
If Kobo software doesn't work I would open a new calibre library, copy all books from Kobo to it, and reformat device using kobo software. Then put books back.
Or delete calibre db from Kobo as Kobo probably doesn't even know it exists.
I have had similiar problems with Sony-600 and managed to get it working.

I will say again try the Kobo Software whether it sucks or not. Because if it is a problem with your reader good to find out before warrentee lapses.

Helen
Old 10-20-2011, 12:29 AM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Helen; as I had replied elsewhere, the Kobo Desktop ONLY handles material in Kobo eBook format; NOT generic ePubs.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:42 AM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Helen; as I had replied elsewhere, the Kobo Desktop ONLY handles material in Kobo eBook format; NOT generic ePubs.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:46 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Sorry for missing that. I will butt out now rather than annoy you further
Well said.

Much more polite than some folks would have been.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:35 AM   #14
Jafo
Enthusiast

I've only ever used the Kobo software the first time I connected my Kobo. Ever since then, it's been Calibre. It's weird that I can see the epub on the Kobo via file manager but the Kobo and Calibre can't see it (other than in the Calibre library).
Any more ideas?
Old 10-20-2011, 02:08 AM   #15
Jafo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
The Kobo seems to be a little quirky at times, try setting Metadata management under Preferences - Sending books to devices to automatic.
Oops. Sorry, missed your post. I just tried this and it didn't work either. Thanks anyway. I'd be glad to try any other ideas you or anyone has though.
Thanks