Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
Kycoo
Kycoo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen and HD 8.9), Kindle Touch
Stopping Sample Books from Appearing in Nook

I apologize in advance if this question has been addressed before. I searched this site and the Internet and can't find an answer to my question.

I just purchased a Nook STR as my son keeps using my Kindle 3. I thought why not buy another ereader? I got the nook and am very happy with my purchase . I have carpal tunnel syndrome and I find touching the screen to flip pages is much more comfortable than pressing a key.

When I first got the nook, I received some sample books automatically. I deleted them from my Nook Library on the BN website. Today, however, I received a sample book again. I can see a situation where I or my 10 year old would accidentally buy a sample book (that I did not ask for) or I would accidentally delete a book I purchased in trying to delete the sample book.

Is there a way to stop the sample books from appearing automatically in my Nook Library online?
Kycoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
I don't think this has been addressed here, and I am also annoyed by it. It didn't start happening on my nook until a week or two ago (I don't have wifi on all the time, so I can't give a specific date), and I've been using a nook since the first one was released. I bought a nook Touch a couple of months ago. This is the first time B&N have ever done something like this and it's VERY annoying and honestly makes me feel mildly violated.
If anybody has found a way to opt out of this sample book scheme, please post it so we can do the same!
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
i kill all unwanted processes/running apps on my Touch after turning on wifi - it's easy if you have 'upgraded' your Nook and use Open Advanced Task Killer
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I asked B&N support about the sample books when the STR first came out. I was told that there is no way to stop the sample books from being put into your library or sent to your Nook. Your only option is to delete them from your library on the web site then refresh your library on the Nook.

There is a setting on the Nook itself in the preferences to require your password to make a purchase with the Nook. This is your best bet for preventing accidental purchases.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
Kycoo
Kycoo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen and HD 8.9), Kindle Touch
Thanks for the replies. As much as I love the nook hardware, this practice annoys me . It appears BN is using the nook for advertisement.

I guess I am going to just use my nook to read free epub books. For buying books, especially those my kids read, I will stick with Amazon. I love Amazon's practice so far, so no need to put up with BN.
Kycoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I don't recall seeing the samples when I had mine. I guess it was implemented sometime after the first few week of release? It's ridiculous that you can't opt out of the samples. Bad enough you can't delete anything from the device. Are the samples based on their horrible recommendations or does everyone receive the same samples at any given time? I stopped following the BN.com NOOK forum when I sold my device.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Yep.. Starting to get pissed with automatic downloads of samples. Simplest way for *me* is to just not turn off wifi, download new books to PC, strip DRM and sideload.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
Mellobob
Connoisseur
Mellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Yep.. Starting to get pissed with automatic downloads of samples. Simplest way for *me* is to just not turn off wifi, download new books to PC, strip DRM and sideload.
Not that I suggest stripping of DRM (I think it actually against the law in some places) ... but seems to be that B&N, in making it harder for folks to do what they want with the hardware they have paid for, will encourage folks to bypass DRM and root their devices.

Haven't they learned from the MP3 history yet ... and learned that the best route to discourage piracy is simply to lower the price of songs/books and make it easy to put on a device?
Mellobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Re: DRM

Since I'm not a pirate and don't make my books available on torrents, I have *no* guilt on stripping DRM from books I purchased. Whether it's legal or not (and I don't believe it's been tested in U.S. courts), I purchased a book, not a license. I will continue to strip DRM to provide myself with safe backups and the ability to format shift.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:52 AM   #10
crashed
Connoisseur
crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch
Quote:

Since I'm not a pirate and don't make my books available on torrents, I have *no* guilt on stripping DRM from books I purchased. Whether it's legal or not (and I don't believe it's been tested in U.S. courts), I purchased a book, not a license. I will continue to strip DRM to provide myself with safe backups and the ability to format shift.
Agreed!

As for the automatic sample downloads. I don't care for it, but I generally understand it, appears to be a form of revenue for BN I'm sure by advertising for the publishers, ect.

I'm imagining with a rooted Nook, it shouldn't be a problem to kill that "feature" if it bugs ya that much - would be a good reason to root.
crashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
Mellobob
Connoisseur
Mellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:

Just to be clear ... I wasn't suggesting you were a pirate! Just that B&N policy may be driving some to that vocation

As to buying a book or license ... I think you are wrong: you are getting a license. I'm not a lawyer, but I think that you probably agreed to that in one of the many readme files which came with the nook. If you'd bought a "book" you'd be able to sell it to someone else ...
Mellobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:18 AM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Whatever the reason is, the practice is lamentable.

I don't know if it will change anything, but there's an option in 'Communication Preferences' to say 'No' to special offers, etc. I've turned it off, will see if it works.

But I keep wifi off almost entirely, so I may not know for awhile.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #13
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Some have suggested that rooting and eliminating some processes will stop the practice, but the only way I could see that working is if you turn off library sync entirely. I don't think that BN are sending the books to the nook directly, they're being added to the ebook libraries associated with our accounts and then synced to the device when we sync the library. It is possible to "archive" these books from the nook itself, so at least we can get rid of them, I'd prefer if BN just didn't do it in the first place, though. I didn't pay less for my nook, why is it suddenly behaving as if ad-supported?
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Whatever the reason is, the practice is lamentable.

I don't know if it will change anything, but there's an option in 'Communication Preferences' to say 'No' to special offers, etc. I've turned it off, will see if it works.

But I keep wifi off almost entirely, so I may not know for awhile.
It didn't work.

If I thought it would do any good, I'd send B&N feedback and ask them to at least provide an 'opt-out' option.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-02-2011 at 02:55 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #15
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Wow, that is really lame -- there should be a way to opt-out.

If they're going to do that, should have a Nook STR with Special Offers version similar to what Amazon is doing.
log is offline   Reply With Quote