Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 01:53 AM   #9421
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I haven't posted on this thread for many books, but wanted to share my latest read, because I really liked it. It's called "The Scavenger's Daughter" by Mike McIntyre. It's a thriller much in the line of Michael Connelly's stuff (imo). I don't give that many 5 star reviews, but this book earned one from me.

(btw, Caleb, you really do need to read the Hunger Games series-- really, you do)
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #9422
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I haven't posted on this thread for many books, but wanted to share my latest read, because I really liked it. It's called "The Scavenger's Daughter" by Mike McIntyre. It's a thriller much in the line of Michael Connelly's stuff (imo). I don't give that many 5 star reviews, but this book earned one from me.
Now on my wish list at Smashwords. Sounds great. Also sounds like a good present for my mother-in-law who just got a Kindle.

Quote:
(btw, Caleb, you really do need to read the Hunger Games series-- really, you do)
I do have it on my wish list at Amazon. I can only get it as an omnibus, but it's there - waiting for me to throw down the credit card.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #9423
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I do have it on my wish list at Amazon. I can only get it as an omnibus, but it's there - waiting for me to throw down the credit card.
i just started it myself i'm 28% into it, according to my kobo stat bar, and it is as good as everyone has mentioned. it's still in the early stages with the getting to know people but the way it's written is well done and just gets you involved in the story. can't wait to read more on my lunch and continue after work !

a part of the book early on that got a good reaction from me.

Spoiler:
I know this may sound cheesy but i was overwhelmed quite early in this book and could picture it 100% in my mind how it would have looked when katniss steps on the stage and volunteers for primrose and no one claps, knowing she probably walked to her death but savingher sister in the meantime and the three finger salute, it just grabbed me. pride and happiness and sadness all rolled into one ... awesome. i can almost picture the scene and how it'll play out in the movie to come and hopefully everyone gets the same feeling for katniss after seeing it / reading it.

edit: read the first 10 chapters, part I as it's called and eagerly waiting to go home from work to get started on part II, guess the book is split into three parts.

Last edited by siraks; 05-17-2011 at 03:02 PM.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #9424
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Also, I never read any of The Girl Who series.
You should give The Girl With a go and maybe after that you might want to read The Girl Who.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #9425
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Just finished Midnight Cowboy. Definitely not one you'll read to lift your spirits. I'm currently reading Beyond Star Trek: From Alien Invasion to the End of Time. It covers topics like, just what would happen if a spaceship 1/4 the size of the moon actually went into orbit around the Earth, as in Independence Day. Answer: It's really not pretty. Right now the author is discussing just how hard it is to send humans to other planets. Answer: Really really hard.

Recommended.

Last edited by carld; 05-17-2011 at 06:25 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #9426
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Just finished Midnight Cowboy. Definitely not one you'll read to lift your spirits. I'm currently reading Beyond Star Trek: From Alien Invasion to the End of Time. It covers topics like, just what would happen a spaceship 1/4 the size of the moon actually went into orbit around the Earth, as in Independence Day. Answer: It's really not pretty. Right now the author is discussing just how hard it is to send humans to other planets. Answer: Really really hard.

Recommended.
I love the way you've condensed whole topics into snippits: "It's really not pretty" and "Really really hard". Made me chuckle.

Karma for you for getting a giggle out of me before work on a Wednesday.

Regards
Caleb
Old 05-18-2011, 01:06 AM   #9427
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Just finished China Mieville's Embassytown. Centers around some of the most alien aliens I've encountered-- with reasonably alien humans.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:04 AM   #9428
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Just finished China Mieville's Embassytown. Centers around some of the most alien aliens I've encountered-- with reasonably alien humans.
Ooooh looking forward to that one.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:09 AM   #9429
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Blind White Fish in Persia by Anthony Smith (1953)
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #9430
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
KJV's 400th Birthday

This year is the 400th anniversary of the publication of the King james Version of the Bible. There are two good books on the subject of this hugely influential translation available on Amazon.
First is The Legacy of the King James Bible by Leland Ryken. He analyses the influence of the KJV in the folowing areas:

1. the King James Bible in its own day
2. The King James Bible in History
3. The King James Bible as a Literary Masterpiece
4. The Literary Influence of the King James Bible

Another work is The Book of Books by Melvyn Bragg.I downloaded an extended free sample and was impressed with the author's vigorous style and the width of his study of the influence of the KJV on Western civilisation. He makes the point that there is an argument for considering this book to have been the most important volume ever put in print regardless of one's religious belief or lack of such.

The Book of Books does have a wider sweep, presenting its ideas in broad brushstrokes, while Ryken is more scholarly and literary in emphasis, dealing with specific areas such as the contrasts between literal translations and the "dynamic equivalence" approach to Biblical translation, and the history of these traditions. I suspect that Bragg will appeal more to the general reader.

Bragg's book is 384 pages long but still rather on the pricey side at over $20--even in e-book format. Ryken's volume is of comparable length but only $9.39.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 05-18-2011 at 04:23 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #9431
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Finished another batch of Amelia Peabody, Plucky Victorian Egyptologist mysteries by Elizabeth Peters in publication order from The Ape Who Guard the Balance through to The Golden One. Or perhaps I should say, another batch of Walter "Ramses" Peabody Emerson, Improbably Talented Undercover Edwardian/Georgian Master of Disguise thrillers, which they seem to have become as the books ramped up to and through WWI.

The new formula (and these are very formulaic) seems to intersperse 1st person narrative by Amelia with 3rd person recounting of Ramses's thrilling escapades (and lovesick will-they-won't-they maunderings, which I could have lived without), plus the occasional family letters. I actually mildly like this change, since you now get multiple viewpoints of the action.

The rest of it seems to be much the same. In any given book, expect the following to occur at least once:
  • The sudden re/appearance of a surprise relative, who may or may not have been previously known to be a relative. Bonus points if there's more than one per book.
  • The obligatory kidnapping and imprisonment attempt. Bonus points for more than two per book, and if the captive is aided from imprisonment by a sympathetic but scared person who ends up very dead later.
  • The knife-slash in the dark by an unseen assailant, which inevitably ruins another shirt. Bonus points if it happens during the daytime, in crowded conditions. Minus points for use of gun, since that kind of lacks style. No extra points if the slasher/shooter turns up dead under mysterious circumstances, because that's practically par for the course.
  • Mysterious accidents which lead to narrowly-avoided could-have-been-fatal injury turn out to be deliberate sabotage upon further investigation. Bonus points if they happen away from those risky excavation sites, and if they take out some unfortunate peripheral person who just happens to be standing too close to/mistaken for a Peabody-Emerson.
  • People are suspected to be other people in disguise, but it turns out that they can't be, as those other people were already in disguise as entirely different people. Subtract points if those people turned out to be Ramses, Master of Disguise, or Sethos, Master Criminal (and also Master of Disguise).
  • People turn out to have actually impersonating other known actual people who were not previously suspected of being impersonators, and everyone was totally taken in by said impersonation thinking they were actually that person until the truth comes out.
  • Old friends and former acquaintances who went offstage more than 3 books ago pop back up hoping to renew that friendship/acquaintance with possibly ulterior motives.
  • Old enemies who went offstage more than 3 books ago pop back up to take revenge.
  • Old friends and former acquaintances who went offstage more than 3 books ago pop back up and are suspected to be new enemies hoping to take revenge, having renewed that friendship/acquaintance with possibly ulterior motives. Bonus points if they actually are.
  • Confounded young lovers bickering and angsting over each other yet not daring to show each other any feelings more tender and loving than angry squabbling, for fear of non-reciprocation. Actually, this is mostly just the one couple, but it happens an annoying amount. So bonus points when they mercifully shut up about it, even if the drawn-out angst doesn't go away until many books later and gets replaced by equally sickening lovey-dovey squabbling.
I don't advocate using the above as a drinking game if reading more than two books per week. You'd die of alcohol poisoning.

Aside from that, they were decent reads if you know what you're getting into, and interesting enough if you like undercover investigative thrillers with increasingly vague archaeological links.

Though I hope the library didn't pay too much for their PDF e-book copy of The Falcon at the Portal, as that was riddled quite a few errors, from missing punctuation to extraneous tildes to the usual scannos which prove that no one bothered to proofread, including characters being described as "inteffigent" and one unfortunate cast member being repeatedly renamed "Scum".

Now onto the post-WWI Children of the Storm, which finally seems to be getting back to the series' archaeological murder-related roots, but with the new mostly improved narrative formula.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #9432
S Livingston
Connoisseur
S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

I'm currently reading Neal Stephenson's The Baroque Cycle.
S Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #9433
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Livingston
Ooh. I wish I could read those all over again for the very first time.
Enjoy!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #9434
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Livingston View Post
Ah, a masochist.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #9435
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Livingston View Post
I have the cycle in paperback on my shelves but I've never read it. Now I'm wishing for Kindle versions as reading paperback books that big seems like a complete pain now.