Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 07:36 AM   #1
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Nook Color updates

Will the April NC updates advertised on TV this weekend, allow me to download the Kindle Ap? I like to keep my Kindle 3 in my purse and read off and on all day, but use my Nook Color at night at home and always while DH drives the RV. I was thinking that if I rooted the NC, I could switch back and forth, but now I"m wondering if the new update will do this instead?
I considered rooting the NC last fall, but never really got a clear plan of how to do it, so still have a nicely working stock NC. Is autorooter as easy as mentioned?
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
No one outside of B&N themselves know what the update or the App store will offer. I would be surprised if the Kindle app is one that is available in the store.

As for rooting, I rooted mine within moments of buying it. Rooting simply "unlocks" and opens up the underlying Android operating system that is already installed. All of the original software is still available. (others go beyond that by installing custom firmware containing different versions of Android... THAT's where things get more involved)

Using autonooter is very straight-forward... not much more complicated than the process of copying files from a digital camera's memory card. It's an all-in-one patch that roots the system, and installs the Google experience apps (mail, maps, market, etc.), and app needed to emulate the hardware buttons that a full Android system expects.

After autonooter is applied, you end up with the stock nook color user interface and all new apps (and those installed from the market) will appear in "Extras".

So at the bare minimum, the net result is that you'll have a nook color that has more "extras".

But, most people don't stop there... they'll add a different user interface to give it a more tablet-feel rather than ereader-feel. I use Zeam, but there are others out there.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see, thank you for the explanation. My needs are simple.. a Sudoku game,possibly a solitaire game, video player and a Kindle ap would be all I would ever need. I like to purchase books from Amazon as they seem to have the best prices and selection. However, much as I love my Kindle 3, I would have purchased a classic Nook instead had I known the transferring issue was so difficult. Also, it would seem easier to buy from Amazon and transfer to a rooted Nook than try and root a Kindle if that is even possible.
I will search through the rooting forum and find the latest info on rooting and gather courage..
Old 03-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
One of the first apps I downloaded on my Color was Kindle.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
dixieknits
Addict

Thanks for the info. Actually, Kindle is really the only ap I really need. Anything else will be icing on the cake. I never surf and rarely play games, but I do read alot. I did manage to root or upgrade a Pandigital Novel that I bought on final clearance at Kohls for $60.00 to an android tablet, but still never used it much for anything other than reading and gave it to a family member who fell in love with it.
If it's not much more complicated than that I probably can manage. I didnt' worry to much a bricking a $60.00 not that wonderful tablet, but I LOVE my NC and do not want to ruin it..
Old 03-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
Thanks for the info. Actually, Kindle is really the only ap I really need. Anything else will be icing on the cake. I never surf and rarely play games, but I do read alot. I did manage to root or upgrade a Pandigital Novel that I bought on final clearance at Kohls for $60.00 to an android tablet, but still never used it much for anything other than reading and gave it to a family member who fell in love with it.
If it's not much more complicated than that I probably can manage. I didnt' worry to much a bricking a $60.00 not that wonderful tablet, but I LOVE my NC and do not want to ruin it..
I too rooted my Pandigital Novel. Rooting the nook color is easier.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
dixieknits
Addict

Yes, I think you were the kind person who helped me. Thankyou. again. Should I use autorooter 3 for this one?
Old 03-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
waffleman
Enthusiast
waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Will the April NC updates advertised on TV this weekend, allow me to download the Kindle Ap? I like to keep my Kindle 3 in my purse and read off and on all day, but use my Nook Color at night at home and always while DH drives the RV. I was thinking that if I rooted the NC, I could switch back and forth, but now I"m wondering if the new update will do this instead?
I considered rooting the NC last fall, but never really got a clear plan of how to do it, so still have a nicely working stock NC. Is autorooter as easy as mentioned?

It's like asking if Amazon will put the Barnes and Noble reader ap on the Kindle. Do you really need to ask that question?
waffleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Yes, I think you were the kind person who helped me. Thankyou. again. Should I use autorooter 3 for this one?
I don't know anything about autorooter. I used auto-nooter.

Here's a link to the nookdev's wiki article on rooting:
http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting

Here's a link to the xda-dev forum thread about using auto-nooter:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=942424

Don't be intimidated by apparent length of the process... they've simply attempted to be thorough in documenting most potential scenarios.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
dixieknits
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleman View Post
It's like asking if Amazon will put the Barnes and Noble reader ap on the Kindle. Do you really need to ask that question?
Yes, I really did need to ask that question, because I did NOT realize that the updates Nook will be doing are proprietary. I thought they would be of a general change to Android as the Pandigital (which also came with Barnes and Noble only) was allowing the users the ability to install android aps of their choice.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Though I rarely read on my Color, I still downloaded most of the reader apps (Kindle, Kobo, Borders, OverDrive, Sony, etc) to keep my options open.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
mariel9898
Connoisseur
mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Color, Droid 2 Global
Quote:
Yes, I really did need to ask that question, because I did NOT realize that the updates Nook will be doing are proprietary. I thought they would be of a general change to Android as the Pandigital (which also came with Barnes and Noble only) was allowing the users the ability to install android aps of their choice.
No one expects that the upcoming update will give full access to the Android market and certainly not to the Amazon market. The one thing about the update that B&N has stated is that there will be games and "reader-centric" apps.

Rooting using autonooter is very easy. In order to use version 3.0 you need to make sure you have your firmware updated to 1.1.0. There are directions in lots of places, but I found this video really cleared a lot up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUoHALWvPts
mariel9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
If the next update is anything like previous ones - it will break root (which will disable applications that require root access to work) but it shouldn't disable any other applications that are already installed - such as Kindle or the Android Market.

There's no guarantee - but once you've got the Kindle App on there, you should be able to continue to use it. Also, because the methods being used to root the NC are based on hardware rather than software, they are unlikely to be able to lock people out permanently without changing the hardware. The NC2 may not be so easily rooted, but that won't affect existing Nooks.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #14
BarryR
Connoisseur
BarryR doesn't litterBarryR doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
Quote:
From everything I've read, it's close to impossible to truly brick an NC. Worse case is usually that one screws things up and needs someone in one of these forums to tell them what to do, but even that's not very likely with basic rooting.
BarryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:48 AM   #15
dixieknits
Addict

I did manage to root it with AutoNooter 3 and it is working very nicely.. I love it more each day. I have a couple of things to tweak, but Kindle, Sudoku, Rockplayer, and Words Free are all installed and running. RockPlayer needs a good Ap killer to end, but that is my only problem so far. Not sure what to do with the Soft Keys, they seem to be more trouble than they are worth, but I must figure how to remove them.

Tags
nook color, rooting nook color