Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-22-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
Me, My iliad and a 9 hour trip the the US.

I've finally had a chance to spend some quality time with my iliad.. It arrived on tuesday of this week, an so far I've only really turned it on. Looked at it. Then looked at it some more..

Loaded up a couple of ebook PDF's I have, an they look great. The only problem was the text size was too small hopefully one of the threads on here has the answer on how to formats PDF's correctly.

The highlight of my flight was the stewardess telling me my iliad wasnt suitable for use on a plane. Managed to convince her in the end that it wasn't a security threat..

Anyways just felt like posting

.stu
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:18 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Young
The highlight of my flight was the stewardess telling me my iliad wasnt suitable for use on a plane. Manage to convince her in the end that it wasn't a security threat..
This is hillarious! I bet she has never seen something like the iLiad before. Though, she might be even right: if due to a software bug the wireless connection doesn't completely shut down, it might be indeed unsuitable for airplanes.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
I had to smile to myself when she walked over to one her her colleages an mumbled something about me. I'm sure I was given the evil for the rest of the flight. I didnt help that I had it wrapped up in this huge piece of cloth. She must have spotted me carefully unwrapping it
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Young
The highlight of my flight was the stewardess telling me my iliad wasnt suitable for use on a plane. Managed to convince her in the end that it wasn't a security threat..
But ... if I understand, the Wifi doesn't shut down as it should? In that case ... ?

Some flight crews use the Zap Checker to make sure electronic devices don't radiate too much: it's excellent for finding those passangers who keep cell phones turned on.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 04:10 PM   #5
oliverbogler
Connoisseur
oliverbogler has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ath
But ... if I understand, the Wifi doesn't shut down as it should? In that case ... ?

Some flight crews use the Zap Checker to make sure electronic devices don't radiate too much: it's excellent for finding those passangers who keep cell phones turned on.

If that is the case, what is the solution? Does switching off the iLiad with the off switch also power down the WiFi? And furthermore, since the writing remains on the screen, how do you convince them that it is now really off, if it comes to a discussion with flight attendants??
oliverbogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2006, 04:15 PM   #6
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverbogler
If that is the case, what is the solution? Does switching off the iLiad with the off switch also power down the WiFi? And furthermore, since the writing remains on the screen, how do you convince them that it is now really off, if it comes to a discussion with flight attendants??

Make sure you carry a blank document that you can load before shutting down.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 04:23 PM   #7
Pitchfork
Connoisseur
Pitchfork began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad/Ipaq 6340
The Iliad balnks the screen when shut down. It would be worse if the batteries were flat as it does not blank the screen when it runs out of power (no power left to blank the screen)
Pitchfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:06 PM   #8
oliverbogler
Connoisseur
oliverbogler has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchfork
The Iliad balnks the screen when shut down. It would be worse if the batteries were flat as it does not blank the screen when it runs out of power (no power left to blank the screen)
Thanks - if I had mine, I'd know that... But sadly my order had some trouble, and is not shipping along with all the other US iLiads that are going to be arriving early next week...
oliverbogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 04:58 AM   #9
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
yes, this "displays the last page" is slightly annoying. on the other hand - if you fall asleep you know which was the last page you read
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote