Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
Grumpyreader
Connoisseur
Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS505, Kindle 2 Int.
Googling using a Kindle International

Sorry if this is old news or has been raised elsewhere but today I suddenly found that I could use google (and follow some links for the search engine results) on my Kindle International.

Previously I'd only been able to access Wikipedia.

Is this new or am I just very unobservant?
Grumpyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
t-town
Connoisseur
t-town began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyreader View Post
Sorry if this is old news or has been raised elsewhere but today I suddenly found that I could use google (and follow some links for the search engine results) on my Kindle International.

Previously I'd only been able to access Wikipedia.

Is this new or am I just very unobservant?
It would be helpfull is you said where you are at the moment.
In the US or 'not in the US'
t-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
redshift27
redshift27 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I have suddenly got Wikipedia pictures in the UK, only had text before, and the Wikipedia text layout of the basic browser has improved considerably. But no Google in the UK.
redshift27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:47 AM   #4
Grumpyreader
Connoisseur
Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town View Post
It would be helpfull is you said where you are at the moment.
In the US or 'not in the US'
Sorry, I thought that would be obvious from my surprise at being able to access Google. US residents can do this automatically, can't they?

Nope, I'm a non-US resident who previously has only been able to access Amazon.com and Wikipedia.org on my Kindle but can now happily Google and surf the web. Just looking at the BBC website now...
Old 11-17-2009, 04:54 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
So what country are you in?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So what country are you in?
Yes, it would be nice to know. It's a big world

It doesn't work for me in DK.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:09 AM   #7
Grumpyreader
Connoisseur

I'm in the UK
Old 11-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
So am I, and general web-browsing sure as heck doesn't work for me . You've not changed your Kindle location to the USA, have you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
nicolas06
nicolas06 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Hello,

I'm located in France and I just switched my Kindle account to US address. I can now access to CNN, google and other websites.

What about fees ?

Thanks
nicolas06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas06 View Post
I'm located in France and I just switched my Kindle account to US address. I can now access to CNN, google and other websites.

What about fees ?
I couldn't find anything about fees for browsing, but USA costumers travelling abroad pays a fee for wireless downloading of books and magazines. I would guess you're registered as a USA customer travelling abroad... Perhaps better be careful with downloading books.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:31 AM   #11
Grumpyreader
Connoisseur

Although I do swap my Kindle between my US and non-US Amazon accounts, it is currently registered with my non-US account with the country specified as UK.

I wonder whether all the swapping has triggered change?