Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 11-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
Lago
Connoisseur
Lago doesn't litterLago doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150, REB1200, PRS-600
new toy, need help....

hello all. i just got my new reader in today.. REB 1200, looks great, but there are a few problems..

1) it does not have a battery, this is proving to be a more major issue than i had anticipated, anyone know where i can get one without spending a fortune? what model # (or after market model #s) do i look for?

2) it doesn't have a charger either.. i stopped at radio shack, but they have all of,,,,,, NOTHING.. i was going to try WM, but there was a HUGE fire and Rt3 was blocked off. anyone know where i can get one of those? i know its an 18VDC center pos, but it seems like its almost as rare as the battery..

that aside, i still have my EBW1150, but sadly the screen was damaged, and the touch screen no longer works. i have contacted ETI and can get a refurb unit for $50, but i figure someone here might have a damaged unit (with good screen) or spare screen kicking around for less? (looks hopeful).. all in all, its been a rough week.

Lago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
From the REB 1200 for Dummies - FAQ website:
Quote:
What AC adapter charger/power supply is needed for the REB1200?
Original AC adapter:

Thomson Consumer Electronics
Switching Adaptor
Model No: KWM020-1818
Input : 100-240-VAC
46 - 63 Hz Max, 0.8A
Output:+18Vdc /1.0A
Output Power 18W MAX
Plug Tip is +
5.5mm (od) x 2.5mm (id) plug, center positive.
Buy a similar adapter from:
www.jameco.com part number 380374 Maunfacturer: Meanwell, Manufacturer Part No: ES25U18-P1M-R

Make sure the adapter puts out 18V DC regulated,
not 18V AC as the incorrect Radio Shack # 2049695 adapter does,
or your REB1200 will smoke!
I just checked my adapter and it seems the plug has an outdiameter (od) of just 5.0 mm so it can use the Adaptaplug L or Adaptaplug N from Radio Shack along with a Adaptaplug-compatible Power Adapter (18VDC, 1000mA)

For the REB1200 Internal Battery (Semi-elliptical in a plastic housing) the information printed on the battery is:
Quote:
Lithium-ion Battery
Type BA-2 10.8V 1650mAh
PN 18-000-10
ITE Accessory Pack
Cells Made in Canada
Assembled in Hong Kong by Moltech Power Systems
I attach images of the above for visual reference.

Have you tried enquiring with ETI about a battery replacement?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REB1200_AC_adapter.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	17935   Click image for larger version

Name:	REB1200_Internal_Battery.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	17936   Click image for larger version

Name:	REB1200_Adapter_and_Battery.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	17937  

Last edited by nrapallo; 11-16-2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: added links to Radio Shack
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Lago
Connoisseur

well, i was kinda hoping to find someplace more local to dig one up. i already had the website. but is this something that WM or Target would have? i know Radio shack doesn't..

also on the battery, i have found a few sources for them, but they are ALL about $80.. i was hoping to find one second hand for less. new is better, but not THAT much better.

Last edited by Lago; 11-16-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just found this VERY similar ac adapter on Amazon.com, Dunlop ECB-06 18V Power Adapter

This adapter is sold through Musical Instruments Vendors as it is used by a line of Guitar pedals.

It appears identical to the REB1200 ac adapter I have, and is 18Vdc and 1000mA with center positive. They don't state the od, but similar Dunlop adapters (like ECB-003, ECB-04), do mention a similar looking plug is 5.5mm.

It does look identical to my ac adapter in every respect except the Vendor's name on top!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	519TQ5A0AKL._SS500_[1].jpg
Views:	736
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	17969  
Old 11-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I just found this VERY similar ac adapter on Amazon.com, Dunlop ECB-06 18V Power Adapter

This adapter is sold through Musical Instruments Vendors as it is used by a line of Guitar pedals.
As I too am in need of a replacement REB1200 ac adapter, I went to my local Musical Instruments Vendor ( http://www.long-mcquade.com/ ) and enquired about the Dunlop ECB-06 18V adapter.

They had the Dunlop ECB-04 18V adapter in stock (that one uses centre negative and appears different, so not good), but not the REB1200 compatible one.

So I ordered it (approx. US$25)!

I was told it would take two-to-four weeks to get it, so I will report back about just how compatible it is!!!

Last edited by nrapallo; 11-19-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 12:49 AM   #6
Lago
Connoisseur

well, my problem is solved. i got in touch with ETI about replacing my broken 1150, so i inquired about replacements, i am not allowed to release details ;-) but lets just say i am VERY pleased with the customer service from ETI...

i should have my new 1150 and replacement battery/charger in about a week..
Old 11-26-2008, 10:23 PM   #7
nrapallo

Thumbs up THIS DUNLOP ECB006 AC ADAPTER WITH GREEN REVERSE POLIRTY CABLE FOR REB1200 USE!

Quote:
So I ordered it (approx. US$25)!

I was told it would take two-to-four weeks to get it, so I will report back about just how compatible it is!!!
NOT COMPATIBLE!

I ordered it sight unseen, but received a totally different looking ac adapter (like the other ones ECB004). See attached image of what the current generation of this adapter looks like.

The voltage, amperage and wattage looked compatible, but the tip was center negative (that's ok since they had a cable/plug that switched it to center positive). I could live with this BUT the inner diameter is only 2.0mm which means it can't fit onto the 2.5mm male end on the REB1200. Size really matters here!

EDIT: I was able to remove the inner lining tube and then fit it onto the REB1200 2.5mm connector. However, there was no charge passing through. It turned out I was given the "red" reverse polarity cable but needed the "green" reverse polarity cable. The music store I got the adapter from had many such cables, like

Oh well, I tried to find an alternate source, got close, but it the end it was not workable!

IT FINALLY WORKS WELL!!!!

This can be an alternative source for REB1200 AC adapters!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4519.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	18365  

Last edited by nrapallo; 03-02-2009 at 02:03 PM. Reason: now able to use it with REB1200 with a reverse polarity cable
Old 11-28-2008, 12:50 AM   #8
Lago
Connoisseur

Quote:
NOT COMPATIBLE!

I ordered it sight unseen, but received a totally different looking ac adapter (like the other ones ECB004). See attached image of what the current generation of this adapter looks like.

The voltage, amperage and wattage looked compatible, but the tip was center negative (that's ok since they had a cable/plug that switched it to center positive). I could live with this BUT the inner diameter is only 2.0mm which means it can't fit onto the 2.5mm male end on the REB1200. Size really matters here!

Oh well, I tried to find an alternate source, got close, but it the end it was not workable!
that rots.. FWIW get ahold of cust. svc. at ETI.. they have been extremely helpful for me thus far.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #9
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Quote:
NOT COMPATIBLE!

I got a multi ended adapter thing at Frys when I was there a while back. It was an adapter that came with a bunch of choices for the end that you could use. I was looking for a replacement adapter for something I had at the time. I worked out good I was able to find the correct end and set the voltage correctly.

So maybe check your local Radio Shack or Fry's for one of those?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #10
nrapallo

BTW, this is a direct link to the OEM of that picture I posted above.

@sassanik

The REB1200 adapter is 18Vdc and 1000mA. The one at Radio Shack is 18Vac and will blow your device. There aren't too many multi-plug ac adapters that support 18V, though. Was your adapter tested with a REB1200? If not, I would, proceed with caution.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:35 PM   #11
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
nope

Naw I have my charger for my eb 1150, I got that one for another item. I don't remember what now.

I just remembered that they exist.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:08 PM   #12
cyan
Connoisseur
cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, kindle, android
My used REB1200 didn't come with the original charger. I'm assuming it's not the original charger since it has a removal tip.

It's a model 0055 by HQ Power; but, seems to be manufactured by Amplus.

Amplus link

HQ Power link

Not sure if this helps since HQ Power doesn't seem to have a dealer in North America...
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #13
nrapallo

Quote:
NOT COMPATIBLE!

EDIT: I was able to remove the inner lining tube and then fit it onto the REB1200 2.5mm connector. However, there was no charge passing through. It turned out I was given the "red" reverse polarity cable but needed the "green" reverse polarity cable. The music store I got the adapter from had many such cables, like

IT FINALLY WORKS WELL!!!!

Got this to work, and IT FINALLY WORKS WELL!!!!

Last edited by nrapallo; 03-02-2009 at 02:03 PM.