Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-22-2015, 05:38 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGuy View Post
Ah, ok thanks. How do you mean its "organisational capabilities"?
Goodreader gives you a hierarchical file system for your documents, unlike the "flat" list of docs you get in apps like iBooks, so you can create folders, and so on. Makes it much easier to organise your files.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:20 AM   #17
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
That sounds pretty good. Is it possible for me upload quotes that aren't alterable so I can't accidentally alter them?
No, I don't think you can have an absolute guarantee that you won't delete them or change them. However I don't see a great risk of doing that. MarginNotes sends the notes to a specific notebook in Evernote (it creates one for each "study board", a study board can refer to one or several books). The note contains the quote (highlight), and then there is an area below a line where you can add your own comments. See attached screenshot.

If you're interested, I recommend that you download the free evaluation version and try it for yourself. As I said, it's not perfect, in particular search in the current version is so slow as to be practically unusable, so that might be a problem for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Evernnote screen copy.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	135193  
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2015, 07:58 AM   #18
FatGuy
Groupie
FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
No, I don't think you can have an absolute guarantee that you won't delete them or change them. However I don't see a great risk of doing that. MarginNotes sends the notes to a specific notebook in Evernote (it creates one for each "study board", a study board can refer to one or several books). The note contains the quote (highlight), and then there is an area below a line where you can add your own comments. See attached screenshot.

If you're interested, I recommend that you download the free evaluation version and try it for yourself. As I said, it's not perfect, in particular search in the current version is so slow as to be practically unusable, so that might be a problem for you.
Thanks so much for your help. I'm trying to use iBooks now, but I'm really struggling with adding .PDF files.
FatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #19
FatGuy
Groupie
FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm still trying to add .PDF files to my iPad, but I'm still unable to do it. How do I add them in iBooks?
Old 03-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Should just be able to drag and drop them in iTunes.

I really would consider buying Goodreader, though; it's so much better for PDF.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #21
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
I'm still trying to add .PDF files to my iPad, but I'm still unable to do it. How do I add them in iBooks?
As Harry said, you can add them in iTunes. On the iPad, use Open in... and iBook should appear in the list of apps that can open PDFs.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:35 AM   #22
FatGuy
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Should just be able to drag and drop them in iTunes.

I really would consider buying Goodreader, though; it's so much better for PDF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
As Harry said, you can add them in iTunes. On the iPad, use Open in... and iBook should appear in the list of apps that can open PDFs.
Thanks!!!
Old 03-08-2015, 08:59 AM   #23
FatGuy
Groupie

I've tried adding PDF files in iTunes, but I can't make it work...
Old 03-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #24
FatGuy
Groupie

Ok I posted this in the PDF reader thread I created, but it was closed.

I need this:
- An app that's strong on user privacy.
- I want it to be able to upload quotes into Evernote.
- I want it to be impossible for me to alter quotes that I upload so I can't accidentally alter them.

Thanks again!
Old 03-08-2015, 02:01 PM   #25
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Hi all, I was just given an iPad Mini 3 as a gift. Is iBooks good enough to justify me keeping the iPad Mini? My main use is most likely going to be reading ebooks that are in .pdf format.

Is there a way I can highlight quotes in iBooks WITHOUT having the ability to alter them so that I can't accidentally alter the quotes?

Thanks for any help!
As a good freeware you can try Foxit, PerfectReader, Creative Notes and also many other by searching for free pdf readers or annotators in Apple Store.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/foxi...507040546?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/perf...436633759?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crea...713526926?mt=8

Last edited by markom; 03-08-2015 at 02:19 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #26
FatGuy
Groupie

Thanks! Be great if I could hear some more opinions!
Old 03-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #27
FatGuy
Groupie

Which company can I trust with my personal information like my ebook titles because I can't put the ebooks on a USB stick and connect it to an iPad...

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2015, 12:08 PM   #28
FatGuy
Groupie

How am I supposed to load ebooks onto my iPad?
Old 03-10-2015, 12:34 PM   #29
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Which company can I trust with my personal information like my ebook titles because I can't put the ebooks on a USB stick and connect it to an iPad...

Thanks!
Quote:

You can transfer ebooks directly over USB stick or HDD if you jailbreak your iPad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1hayhLy0DY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSHEY4mwMV0

You can also buy some wi-fi HD or 40-50$ wi-fi HDD enclosure and then use its iOS app to transfer ebooks over its own wi-fi network to iPad, without the need for jailbreaking or home wi-fi network.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n86YfYDltHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5PVDvBk_ho

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=12

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=20

In the meantime, if you have wi-fi router you can use any free iOS reader/file manager or any other app that supports wireless transfer PC-iPad (using any internet browser on PC or ftp app); no need for active internet connection.

If you want to transfer a lot of ebooks and mp3 at once then you can just rar them together (without any compression) and then open it in iPad using some free app capable of unrar-ing.

You can transfer books from PC to iPad faster over wire (USB) than over wi-fi router though, using iTunes app or some better 3rd party app instead if you don't want to install iTunes thereon.

http://www.syncios.com/ipad-transfer.html

Last edited by markom; 03-10-2015 at 01:55 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #30
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
The standard methods are: sideload it via iTunes, email it as an attachment, use a cloud server via WiFi. It is also possible to ftp it via a browser but a little more work. The last 3 get it to the iPad and then do a share to move it to the reader.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote