Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Flexible computers use displays with any shape

Imagine computers that adjust their shape according to some computational outcome, or through interactions with users. It's called Kinetic Organic Interface (KOI) and professor Roel Vertegaal is working on this in his Human Media Laboratory at Queens University.

Quote:
Professor Vertegaal forsees drinks cans with RSS feeds or movie trailers, and touch-sensitive computers that change shape when you need them for different purposes. It's a combination of three-dimensional multi-touch, flexible display technology and smart materials like e-ink. Vertegaal even compares our use of current "flat" computer technology to life in the novel Flatland, and argues that the future is going to be about 3D computing and displays.
Gizmodo

And here is a video demonstrating how crazy this could be...

TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The advertising world will be all over this technology.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sounds like from a stereotypical SciFi flick to me
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
One of the major problems I have with this whole concept is that while it might be technically possible within a few years you'd have some really expensive e-paper that would likely be very, very fragile. I've never read any technical papers on e-ink or similar designs that allow it to be durable enough to be that thin and handled by your average Joe.

This just seems the wrong direction IMO, but hey I'm no visionary.

I'd rather see more truly three dimensional interaction such as holographic displays. These aren't appropriate for everything, but for several applications they just make sense.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
seamusfp
Enthusiast
seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
One of the major problems I have with this whole concept is that while it might be technically possible within a few years you'd have some really expensive e-paper that would likely be very, very fragile. I've never read any technical papers on e-ink or similar designs that allow it to be durable enough to be that thin and handled by your average Joe.
Polymer Vision, Plastic Logic, LG Philips, PVI and others are all working on thin and flexible E Ink displays, and they are all likely concerned with durability. The only action that I would have a tough time imagining as possible, is crumpling up the paper at the very end, and you probably wouldn't want to do that anyway.

http://www.polymervision.com
http://www.plasticlogic.com
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...x?NewsId=17320
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11072

http://www.eink.com/technology/flexible.html for more examples
seamusfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I know that e-ink type displays can be made flexible, but again it's that durability I'm worried about. Like you said, many companies are working on that very problem right now, but I dunno if we're there yet. Considering how much *any* e-ink device costs right now it feels like we're quite a ways off from having anything commonly available like what they are talking about in that video.

I'm not saying it's not cool or that it'll never happen, just seems a little premature.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Most of the gestures mentioned in the video seem rather silly and inefficient IMHO. I understand that they're trying to simplify things, but I think they're overdoing it a bit. A sweeping gesture in the specific direction would have been quicker than flipping the whole page. And the whole rub-to-copy was way too slow.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Time to apply the shoe-thwack test. :shoe-thwack:
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Time to apply the shoe-thwack test. :shoe-thwack:
industry standard.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:41 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Nevermind, it works.

Last edited by astra; 06-04-2008 at 06:00 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #11
KendallMarshall
KendallMarshall began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Looks like a vision of the future to me. You've got to imagine that this technology has loads of applications.
KendallMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #12
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
I think one of the coolest thing about that display is how they used directed overhead projection to cheat the audience into seeing how it would work (okay, not 'cheating,' but you know what I mean).

As for durability, a slim chunk of plastic is probably an order of magnitude more accommodating to a hostile environment that a nice thin chunk of glass.
Have yet to see flexible glass, and that transparent aluminium is REALLY expensive, so I think that a flexible display like this would work well.

I would agree with the integrated swipe versus movement complaint. However, a motion-sensitive device could offer some intuitive, fun new ways to utlise any device.
You know, shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shake your cell phone...
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
OMG! Its' an Etch-A-Sketch for the 21st century!

Last edited by DixieGal; 06-10-2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: And I want it!!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #14
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I've always had this idea that some day we could have holographic displays that create a virtual "flat" image that could be resized dynamically using hand gestures.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-paper, kinetic organic interface