Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 04-25-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
eumesmo
Connoisseur
eumesmo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eumesmo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eumesmo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Homer: (Pope - Trans.): The Iliad of Homer, v1.1, 25 April 2008.

This is my first upload, so please forgive me if it seems way too unorthodox. What I did here was I took pg's text of Pope translation of the Iliad, placed all 300 footnotes in the line right after the tag in italics, and after extensive hex editing before and after placing the notes, ran it through pielrf. I feel that sometimes there is no such thing as an unimportant footnotes, and it's much easier on the user and on the device to glance at a footnote, read it or ignore it, than to use a hyperlink to first access its importance. I hope you all enjoy it.

If you like the idea and would like some pointers on how I did it, or know a easier way to insert notes in the text, please PM me.

Converted _'s to italics/not italics.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Iliad.Pope.notes.v1.1.lrf (581.2 KB, 643 views)

Last edited by eumesmo; 04-26-2008 at 08:23 AM. Reason: counter, italics
eumesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
This looks rather nice - personally, I prefer endnotes as being less visually distracting; but that's a matter of personal choice.
I would have put the words with underscores (_like this_) into italics (like this) and used emdashes. But then I'm picky - and different people have different priorities.

One thing does puzzle me. How on earth did you manage to put the attachment up without it displaying in the usual little box? However you did it, I don't think that the number of downloads is going to show up. I'm rather curious about how you did this.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2008, 07:07 AM   #3
eumesmo
Connoisseur
eumesmo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eumesmo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eumesmo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

It was my first post, so I wasn't sure, I opened the attach window, uploaded file, closed the window, wrote message, clicked the pull down menu on the attach button and placed the attach <tag> it gave me in the last line. Just add italics to words with _'s and remove italics to words with _'s when inside footnotes?

Last edited by eumesmo; 04-26-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Well, you've got the upload displayed in the usual way now, so the download counter works.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
eumesmo
Connoisseur

Yes, I just removed the tags <ATTACH>#####</ATTACH>.
Advert
Old 04-26-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
eumesmo
Connoisseur

There are still the --'s from the original, just leave them? I think this way is better for old texts, especially something like Ovid's Metamorphosis, which takes like 30 seconds to flip to a link, if device doesn't freeze entirely, and it is very unlikely you wouldn't even want to glance at the footnote.