Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Kindle for iOS 3.7 released

Amazon has released Kindle for iOS 3.7. Doesn't seem to be much of interest to me in this release. I think they added some Japanese fonts, but no new ones for English. Looks like they added more end of book BS where they annoy you even more than before. Supposedly some bug fixes. Over all it is another disappointing update as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: They added accessibility options for the blind. This seems to be the main thrust of this release.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-01-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Amazon has released Kindle for iOS 3.7. Doesn't seem to be much of interest to me in this release. I think they added some Japanese fonts, but no new ones for English. Looks like they added more end of book BS where they annoy you even more than before. Supposedly some bug fixes. Over all it is another disappointing update as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: They added accessibility options for the blind. This seems to be the main thrust of this release.
The margins are still stupidly big. It looks silly on an iPad and is awful on an iPhone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 03:26 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Accessibility is the main thing, and for me that is a plus, because that includes TTS-ish functionality (I enabled the Three-click Home gesture in Accessibility settings to toggle VoiceOver on and off, so now I can open a book, 3-click the Home button to turn on VoiceOver, two finger swipe down, and it will read the text out continuously. Then 3 click home button again to turn VoiceOver off. It even works with books without TTS enabled...)

Of course I'd would rather they had (after all this time) figured out how to do KF8 reflowable, and added an active table of contents/ncx browser. But this will do for now. Now do it on the Android app.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The margins are still stupidly big. It looks silly on an iPad and is awful on an iPhone.
Apparently Bezos has a narrow-margin-phobia as well as a folder-organization-phobia! I doubt we will ever see smaller margins or better book organization. Too bad as it makes absolutely no effing sense not to allow the margins to be adjusted all the way to zero if the user so desired. Yet Amazon remains stubborn on this issue!
Old 05-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Apparently Bezos has a narrow-margin-phobia as well as a folder-organization-phobia! I doubt we will ever see smaller margins or better book organization. Too bad as it makes absolutely no effing sense not to allow the margins to be adjusted all the way to zero if the user so desired. Yet Amazon remains stubborn on this issue!
Bezos cannot ever have folder-phobia as a folder is paper. We've been through this already. It's not a folder. It's a directory or a subdirectory. It never was and it never will be a folder.

What I want to know is why on the Kindles did Amazon take away the ability to allow Calibre to manage collections? The margins on the eInk Kindles is also silly.

I think everyone who has a Kindle or Kindles should send them to Amazon with a note say to fix things and send them back fixed. That would get Amazon to do something.
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not a folder. It's a directory or a subdirectory. It never was and it never will be a folder.
Based on what data? The FOLDER has been used for over twenty years to describe digital files stored together under some type of classification scheme. At least two major OSes for personal computers even use/d an icon of a manilla folder from an office to represent a digital folder. FOLDER is a legitimate term to use to describe a location, digital or physical, where things can be stored for easier locating. The term directory is far inferior as it implies merely a list of some sort, not a storage location. Even though some OSes now use the term directory rather than folder, it is a much inferior term and in my opinion is misused in OS terminology.

But then again, who really gives a rat's backside one way or the other? As long as people understand the meaning conveyed it matters not which term is used. Certainly not worth getting your penguin feathers ruffled.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-03-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
But then again, who really gives a rat's backside one way or the other? As long as people understand the meaning conveyed it matters not which term is used. Certainly not worth getting your penguin feathers ruffled.
Look closely at his avatar....I think his penguin feathers have been ruffled too many times!!
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Based on what data? The FOLDER has been used for over twenty years to describe digital files stored together under some type of classification scheme. At least two major OSes for personal computers even use/d an icon of a manilla folder from an office to represent a digital folder. FOLDER is a legitimate term to use to describe a location, digital or physical, where things can be stored for easier locating. The term directory is far inferior as it implies merely a list of some sort, not a storage location. Even though some OSes now use the term directory rather than folder, it is a much inferior term and in my opinion is misused in OS terminology.
Back when computers didn't have a GUI, they were called directories/subdirectories. They are the very same thing as they were back then. They have not changed. The only difference is now that we have a GUI, a directory/subdirectory is represented by an icon in the shape of a folder. This does not mean that they are now folders. They aren't. They are still the same old directories/subdirectories we've had since day one of disk drives. That is why they are not folders. Because they don't get called what they are based on the shape of an icon. They get called what they are based on the name given to them when they were invented.[/quote]

Quote:
Then again, most people who call directories/subdirectories folders have no clue how to use a CLI.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Look closely at his avatar....I think his penguin feathers have been ruffled too many times!!
Nah, it is just his latest high-horse but I am sure it won't be the last. Jon wouldn't be at home if he didn't have a cause to promote although this one is a new low even for him. Windows adopted this terminology to aid new users in understanding the digital concepts by relating them to familiar words and idea. This is actually one of the better metaphors to aid new users.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote