Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #151
stefjan
stefjan is on a distinguished road

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyXDA View Post
Did you have to make any changes to get Qt 4.8.0 to compile? I switched to a dual boot on my main PC because the VM I was running ubuntu in previously was just too slow and since then, I am having problems getting Qt 4.8.0 to compile - even when using the change posted 2 posts up, 4.6.2 compiles fine though
short disclaimer: i am not a SW-developer, so please bear with me. I also replace some full paths with $DEVICEROOT for the sake of this post, so i hope i did not introduce any errors there.

i made this changes to the build/scripts/qt.sh

Code:
patch -p3 < ../$PATCHESDIR/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.0_kobo.patch
i also added this, but i cannot remember why
Code:
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$DEVICEROOT/lib/pkgconfig
in the ./configure line i removed the -qt-gif like JonnyXDA mentions, but i added this:
Code:
-I${DEVICEROOT}/include -D QT_NO_QWS_CURSOR -D QT_NO_QWS_QPF2
this is the full line btw:
Spoiler:
./configure $CPPFLAGS $LIBS -release -no-accessibility -system-libmng -no-nis -no-cups -no-xshape -no-xrandr -no-xkb -no-xinerama -no-xcursor -no-sm -system-libpng -system-libjpeg -qt-zlib -embedded arm -xplatform qws/linux-arm-g++ -no-qt3support -exceptions -opensource -no-pch -qt-freetype -qt-gfx-qvfb -confirm-license -dbus -ldbus-1 -nomake examples -nomake docs -nomake translations -nomake examples -nomake docs -nomake demos -scripttools -xmlpatterns -no-opengl -depths all -qt-gfx-transformed -qt-gfx-linuxfb -no-mouse-pc -no-mouse-linuxtp -no-mouse-linuxinput -no-mouse-tslib -no-mouse-qvfb -no-mouse-qnx -no-armfpa -no-neon -openssl -lrt -I${DEVICEROOT}/include/dbus-1.0 -I${DEVICEROOT}/lib/dbus-1.0/include -I${DEVICEROOT}/include $QT_EXTRA_ARGS -D QT_NO_QWS_CURSOR -D QT_NO_QWS_QPF2

then it gets messy. i ran make, got some errors and starting fixing things manually:

in qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.0/src/gui/text/text.pri i added
LIBS_PRIVATE += -ldl
and in qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.0/src/3rdparty/webkit/Source/WebKit/qt/tests/tests.pri
LIBS_PRIVATE += -lpng12 -lz -Wl,-rpath,$DEVICEROOT/lib -L$DEVICEROOT/lib -licuuc

it's probably not needed but at the top of my build-all.sh i have this:
CPPFLAGS+=" -march=armv7-a -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -mthumb -mthumb-interwork -mtune=cortex-a8 \
-Wa,-march=armv7-a,-mcpu=cortex-a8,-mfpu=vfpv3,-mfloat-abi=hard,-mthumb,-mthumb-interwork \
-I$DEVICEROOT/include -I$DEVICEROOT/usr/include"

i think i added that to get around some compilation problems with the other packages but as a consequence my qt also got compiled with these settings.

hope it helps.
stefjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #152
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
I was able to compile Qt 4.8 from Kobo's github with the new toolchain. I documented my exact steps on a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit. Here's what worked. First install some stuff we need to compile.
Code:
sudo apt-get install git gettext autoconf libglib2.0-dev libtool build-essential libdbus-1-dev
Then make some directories and download the code.
Code:
mkdir -p ~/kobo/fs ~/kobo/tmp
cd kobo
git clone git://github.com/kobolabs/Kobo-Reader.git
After that's finished, extract the new toolchain and create symbolic links in /usr/local/bin.
Code:
cd ~/kobo/Kobo-Reader/toolchain/
tar jxf gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.8-2013.04-20130417_linux.tar.bz2
cd gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.8-2013.04-20130417_linux/bin
for f in *; do sudo ln -s `pwd`/$f /usr/local/bin/arm-linux-${f:20}; done
Create a file named 'build-config-user.sh' in ~/kobo/Kobo-Reader/build/ and add these lines.
Code:
DEVICEROOT=$HOME/kobo/Kobo-Reader
QT_EXTRA_ARGS="--prefix=$HOME/kobo/qt -no-webkit -D QT_NO_QWS_CURSOR -D QT_NO_QWS_QPF2"
In ~/kobo/Kobo-Reader/build/scripts/glib.sh, replace CFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" with CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -marm"

There's a few changes that need to be made in ~/kobo/Kobo-Reader/build/scripts/qt.sh. First change the Qt version from 4.6.2 to 4.8.0, then remove the following options in the ./configure line:
Code:
-qt-gif
-qt-gfx-qvfb
-qt-gfx-transformed
-qt-gfx-linuxfb
-no-mouse-pc
-no-mouse-linuxtp
-no-mouse-linuxinput
-no-mouse-tslib
-no-mouse-qvfb
-no-mouse-qnx
I couldn't get busybox to compile, so I just removed it from ~/kobo/Kobo-Reader/build/build-all.sh.

Now all that's left is to start compiling.
Code:
cd ~/kobo/tmp
KOBOLABS=$HOME/kobo/Kobo-Reader
~/kobo/Kobo-Reader/build/build-all.sh
Hopefully we'll be able to get the tweaks plugin working with the latest firmware versions soon.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #153
lsmod
lsmod began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Thank you for this information.

It sounds like that the developer of kobo don't want to leave usable sources.
Of course there is the great danger that someone could make the device to something that is much better!
lsmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #154
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
I miss Tweaks so much I'm trying as well to resurrect it for 2.8.1. So far I'va had no luck with compiling qt, thanks Kevin for the detailed guide! I'll try those directions as soon as I can.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #155
friedmandu
friedmandu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Yes, yes! Bring back the tweaks!
friedmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 AM   #156
FrancescoF
FrancescoF began at the beginning.

Hi all, I'm new on this forum and I read carefully all posts; very, very interesting.
In particular post #91 by goenieg has been acctracting me, so I decided to try.
- Downgraded my Glo to 2.5.2
- Followed exactly the instructions
No error messages after each one of the 3 updates.
pushing library and home nothing happens....
Sniffing around in Glo via Telnet, "ls -R kobotweaks.ini" found nothing. OK, I create a new one in .kobo with the [Global] + "compatFirmware=2.5.2", restarted.... once more nothing.
Looking inside the 3 .tgz (and .zip too) I noticed that koboroot_tweaks file was unreadable, other two are OK.
Now I'm here asking if someone of you can point me to a location where I can download a valid KoboRoot_Tweaks.zip (or .tgz).
Furthermore, any problem if I apply KoboRoot_Tweaks now, without repeating all procedure from scratch?
Please help me...
Greetins from Italy.
FrancescoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:06 AM   #157
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancescoF View Post
Hi all, I'm new on this forum and I read carefully all posts; very, very interesting.
In particular post #91 by goenieg has been acctracting me, so I decided to try.
- Downgraded my Glo to 2.5.2
- Followed exactly the instructions
No error messages after each one of the 3 updates.
pushing library and home nothing happens....
Sniffing around in Glo via Telnet, "ls -R kobotweaks.ini" found nothing. OK, I create a new one in .kobo with the [Global] + "compatFirmware=2.5.2", restarted.... once more nothing.
Looking inside the 3 .tgz (and .zip too) I noticed that koboroot_tweaks file was unreadable, other two are OK.
Now I'm here asking if someone of you can point me to a location where I can download a valid KoboRoot_Tweaks.zip (or .tgz).
Furthermore, any problem if I apply KoboRoot_Tweaks now, without repeating all procedure from scratch?
Please help me...
Greetins from Italy.
I had some problems with the Tweaks on my Mini and firmware 2.5.2, solved with this fix by KevinShort, maybe you want to try.
Before doing that, though, I seem to remember that in order for the "Tools" menu to show you first had to open a book or go to the library. Then back to the home menu you would see the "Tools" on the bottom of the screen.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #158
eXistenZ
Connoisseur
eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo GLO
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
I miss Tweaks so much I'm trying as well to resurrect it for 2.8.1. So far I'va had no luck with compiling qt, thanks Kevin for the detailed guide! I'll try those directions as soon as I can.
I missed it too, also to use as a launcher is really better than PNG based launcher, because of tiles tend to move around the Home
eXistenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #159
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I made the changes mentioned by stefjan in this post and then compiled the tweaks plugin using my newly compiled qmake. It should work on the Touch and Mini since they don't have the new home screen. Just extract the zip file and copy the KoboRoot.tgz file to the .kobo folder on your Kobo.
Attached Files
File Type: zip tweaksTouchMini.zip (73.8 KB, 356 views)
Old 09-10-2013, 04:30 AM   #160
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Thanks, Kevin, works fine (Kobo Mini, 2.81).
Only issue, I can't get Shelves to start under CustomCommands (Shelves=tweaks.shelves()), did I do something wrong or is this one broken?
Koreader and other apps work fine here!
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:10 AM   #161
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
I remember an option in the original Plugins to dump the layout of the current window. That would be very useful to adapt Tweaks to the new home layout, but I really can't find out how that was activated. Also, a fast way to find the changes is the interactive qtScript shell, ah- said:
Quote:
Great news: QtScript is there and fully usable, so this might be a great way to develop plugins. I wrote a plugin that exposes QtScript over the network, so you can just telnet to your Kobo and mess with stuff. This allows access to pretty much everything exposed by Qt introspection.

Source (and some documentation) is at https://github.com/ah-/koboplugins, and attached is a binary version if you don't have the full development environment set up yet. Copy it to /usr/local/Kobo, reboot and open the library once to load the plugin. If you have any issues with it, just delete libqtscript.so and you should be back to normal.

Example use: Telnet to your Kobo (port 1337) and execute "aw.findChildren("label")[0].text = "QtScript""
This changes the text of the "START" menu to "QtScript". Without compiling anything and interactive.
I've installed KevinShort's version on my Glo but it doesn't seem to be included, I just get
Code:
giorgio@giorgio-laptop:~/kobo/tmp$ telnet 192.168.0.101 1337
Trying 192.168.0.101...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #162
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
I made the changes mentioned by stefjan in this post and then compiled the tweaks plugin using my newly compiled qmake. It should work on the Touch and Mini since they don't have the new home screen. Just extract the zip file and copy the KoboRoot.tgz file to the .kobo folder on your Kobo.
fantastic: would you expect it to work under 2.6.1?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #163
KevinShort
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
fantastic: would you expect it to work under 2.6.1?
It should work fine with 2.6.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
Thanks, Kevin, works fine (Kobo Mini, 2.81).
Only issue, I can't get Shelves to start under CustomCommands (Shelves=tweaks.shelves()), did I do something wrong or is this one broken?
Koreader and other apps work fine here!
It's possible that the shelves option no longer works with the new firmware. I'll be sure to post if I come across any possible solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
I remember an option in the original Plugins to dump the layout of the current window. That would be very useful to adapt Tweaks to the new home layout, but I really can't find out how that was activated. Also, a fast way to find the changes is the interactive qtScript shell, ah- said
Hmm, I don't know about an option to dump the layout from the plugin itself, but QtScript was one of the first things I tried. I've attached libqtscript.so below, copy it to /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/plugins/imageformats/. However, it doesn't quite work. It does open up port 1337, but I never get a prompt and my Glo reboots just a few seconds after connecting.

The new homepage on the Glo is called "DragonHomePageView". I added this to include/HomePageGridView.h and also edited TweaksPlugin.cpp to try to patch the reading life menu, but when it tries to set the text to "Tools" my Glo reboots. If I comment out the line that sets the text my Glo doesn't reboot, but the plugin doesn't have any effect on the reading life menu. Also, after adding DragonHomePageView to the plugin, qtscript no longer causes my Glo to reboot and I'm able to type stuff in, but I get no output whatsoever.
Attached Files
File Type: zip qtscript.zip (14.0 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by KevinShort; 09-10-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #164
FrancescoF
FrancescoF began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
I had some problems with the Tweaks on my Mini and firmware 2.5.2, solved with this fix by KevinShort, maybe you want to try.
Before doing that, though, I seem to remember that in order for the "Tools" menu to show you first had to open a book or go to the library. Then back to the home menu you would see the "Tools" on the bottom of the screen.
Already tried both fixes, no hope. I keep on suspecting that koboroot_tweks.zip I can't open, the others 2 zips I can... Could you kindly attach it here (or PM francescangeli dot f at gmail dot com) ?
Thank you for answering...
FrancescoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:30 AM   #165
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancescoF View Post
Already tried both fixes, no hope. I keep on suspecting that koboroot_tweks.zip I can't open, the others 2 zips I can... Could you kindly attach it here (or PM francescangeli dot f at gmail dot com) ?
Thank you for answering...
Sent. You were renaming the file from KoboRoot_tweaks.zip to KoboRoot_tweaks.tgz ?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote