Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
asmltl
asmltl began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK Touch
new firmware

i am planning to buy NOOK TOUCH but i have read somewhere that for it to function i must install new firmware 1.1?? will it already be installed if i buy it now or i must do it myself,,if yes then how to do it???
asmltl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
Gotadimple
Zealot
Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nvidia Shield
I bought a Nook before Christmas and it had the newest version of software. If you happened to buy one with the old version, as soon as you registered it, the new file will download (probably not going to happen in your case).
Gotadimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmltl View Post
i am planning to buy NOOK TOUCH but i have read somewhere that for it to function i must install new firmware 1.1?? will it already be installed if i buy it now or i must do it myself,,if yes then how to do it???
That would be news to me. I bought my Nook STR within a few months of its release, with the original firmware, and it worked just fine. Upgraded to current firmware after its release.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
pillacd
pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook HD+, Nook STR
Still stock w/ 1.0.0

I bought a STR from a local store in December, it had 1.0.0 on it. Putting the new firmware on is pretty simple, though, as others have pointed out.
pillacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Mine is new this week and didn't come with the new firmware. I tried to add it last night, but it said my hard drive was full (can't be, as I only have 161 books on it). It said need to add another drive, such as an SD card. Not sure when I will get around to buying the micro SDHC card, but I'll have to wait until then to get the update.

I think this is strange, as well as the fact that it won't connect to my home wifi network (won't accept the password that my other devices accepted). So I rely on wifi at work or out in stores or cafes if need it.

Never have had any problems like this with my wi-fi kindles.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
Mine is new this week and didn't come with the new firmware. I tried to add it last night, but it said my hard drive was full (can't be, as I only have 161 books on it)
It could be. You only have about 240MB for sideloaded storage and, assuming your books are sideloaded, and knowing that the udpate is about 100MB, you may not have enough space to copy the update package.

If that's the case, simply move some of your sideloaded books to your PC, apply the update, and then move the books back to your nook.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
pillacd
pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook HD+, Nook STR
Quote:
... it won't connect to my home wifi network (won't accept the password that my other devices accepted). So I rely on wifi at work or out in stores or cafes if need it.

I've run into this on a few devices, including my Nook STR. In each case I got it to accept the password by clearing the password field, backing completely out of the WiFi set up, and then getting back in and entering the password. I have no idea why this happens.
pillacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
It could be. You only have about 240MB for sideloaded storage and, assuming your books are sideloaded, and knowing that the udpate is about 100MB, you may not have enough space to copy the update package.

If that's the case, simply move some of your sideloaded books to your PC, apply the update, and then move the books back to your nook.
Thanks for suggestion. I'd thought of it but now that you mention it, I'll do that. I can buy a micro sdhc card later when I really need it for more books.

Pillacd, I'll try that to see if I can get it to accept my wifi at home. I was quite frustrated the first night, since it kept me from registering the device while I was home. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
mlewis78
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillacd View Post
I've run into this on a few devices, including my Nook STR. In each case I got it to accept the password by clearing the password field, backing completely out of the WiFi set up, and then getting back in and entering the password. I have no idea why this happens.
I'd lost track of this thread. I tried this and it worked (my Nook was then 5 days old). Too bad their customer service didn't know how to do this the first day I got it. Thanks for suggesting.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Quote:
Not sure when I will get around to buying the micro SDHC card, but I'll have to wait until then to get the update.

DailySteals has a Sandisk 16gb class 4 on sale today for $7.99 free s/h. This is a great card for these android devices, recommended by XDA devs.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
DailySteals has a Sandisk 16gb class 4 on sale today for $7.99 free s/h. This is a great card for these android devices, recommended by XDA devs.
Thanks for the tip tabatha. I like to watch videos on my NC and I'm not always where WiFi is available. I can use the additional storage.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote