Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
myudkowsky
Enthusiast
myudkowsky began at the beginning.

Device: Andoid
HTML Metadata for use as ePub tags

I've got some text files, in text format, that I am re-formatting as HTML. (Automatic Calibre text->HTML conversion does not retain the proper formatting for music lyrics, and I'll post the awk file here when I'm done.)

When I include <meta name="author" content="foo bar"> in the head of the HTML file, the HTML -> ePub conversion in Calibre picks up the author's name in the Calibre metadata.

I can't quite find a way to include other meta information for use as Calibre tags. 'meta name="keywords"' and the non-standard 'meta name="tags"' both fail. Calibre's manual does not have information that I could find.

So: what is the proper method to include metainfo inside an HTML file for use by Calibre?
myudkowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
myudkowsky
Enthusiast

I should mention that meta "description" does not work either.
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...44&postcount=9
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
myudkowsky
Enthusiast

Thanks for the prompt reply. I've tried adding information as per the list but so far I have not suceeded.

The meta tags Subject, Description, and Type all do not automatically generate Tags for the file when loaded via Calibre.

Example. Here's a few lines from the HTML file I use:

Code:
<META NAME="Subject" CONTENT="Lyrics, Music">
<META NAME="DC.Subject" CONTENT="Lyrics, Music">
<META NAME="DCTERMS.Subject" CONTENT="Lyrics, Music">
I've used all three possible formats for the sake of completeness. I then add this HTML file to Calibre using the GUI. (Note:I have added this HTML file once before and used "Remove Books" to delete it; I include this info in case there's a db-related issue.)

The resulting OPF in the Calibre Library. In the book's folder, I see an OPF file and it does not contain the tags I expect. I should note that if I include, for example, the "Type" metadata in the HTML file, I don't see any "type" metadata in the OPF file. It's as if though it's being ignored entirely.Subju

Other books that I've added tags to using the Calibre UI do have the proper OPF entries:
Code:

<dc:subject>Music</dc:subject>
<dc:subject>Lyrics</dc:subject>
So: what am I doing wrong? I'm using 0.7.33.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/7851
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
myudkowsky
Enthusiast

I've just realized we may be talking a cross-purposed. I'm not trying to create a ZIP file for an ePub; I'm trying to do a simple txt to HTML conversion without going the steps of creating a manifest, separate OPF file, etc. I'd like to know if Calibre can parse "subect" as well as author information from the meta tags.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
myudkowsky
Enthusiast

Just seen your latest, checking.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'm confused, if you're trying to convert a txt file to html not using calibre, what does calibre have to do with anything?
Old 12-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
myudkowsky
Enthusiast

Ok, clearly the same bug. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
myudkowsky
Enthusiast

Sorry to be confusing. I'm trying to convert a text file to pure HTML, and then use Calibre to read that file and eventually convert to ePub.

When I use the "meta" element inside that simple HTML file, Calibre does read and use "author" meta elements, but does not use Subject, Tag, Keyword, etc. meta elements to create Calibre tags.

I'd like to know if any specific meta element is supposed to work inside HTML to create Calibre tags.

The alternative will be to create ZIP files of my own with Manifests, etc.