Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-26-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
charonme
Zealot
charonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to behold

Device: K3
kidle3 states (on, off, sleeping etc)

I'm a bit confused about the various states of the kindle 3, what they mean, what the k3 does in them and how to get to and from them. There is the basic "on" state when you actually use it, then there is some kind of sleeping or "screensaving" state when you don't press any button for X minutes? And what about some "off" state? What does the screen show in it? Are there any other states?
charonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
vndnguyen
vndnguyen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
very simple, it's just like the PC states: on, off and standby
vndnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
Bill Lumburgh
Enthusiast
Bill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipse

The only difference is that the Kindle wakes up periodically when it's on standby while some computer operating systems have a real hibernation mode that saves all state information to disc and powers the system down. It's really just a technicality and nothing you need to worry about.

Unlike some other eBook readers, you can even pick it up after a week on standby and pick up right where you left without having to worry about the battery. There's really no need to turn your Kindle off manually and since it takes a while for it to cold boot, you'll probably want to avoid doing that anyway.

If you're concerned about battery life (like when you're traveling), it helps to turn off the wireless when you're not using it (especially with the 3G model).
Bill Lumburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Doug Huffman
Banned
Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.

Location: Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
Device: KINDLE 3 WiFi
Well, I had hoped to be able to cite an authority stating that e-ink consumes power only while changing state, but I can't.

E-ink displays are called "ultra-low power" devices and appear to pass current only while changing state, otherwise charge maintains the pixel light or dark. Is an all white off-er than an all dark screen?

There lies, I believe, the off-state confusion; just what is 'off'?
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
charonme
Zealot
charonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to behold

the display itself has no "off" state, I was asking about the device. OK, so how do I switch between the states and what does the display show when the device is off?
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
Indeed, no power is required to maintain the display in its current state. It doesn't matter whether the display is black, white, or a mix of the two. Power is only required to change the display from one state to another.

I think the source of the confusion is that power is also required to keep the processor running and the RAM active. This consumes power even if the display isn't changing. Power is also required to maintain the WiFi network connection.

When the Kindle is in standby mode, it is consuming the small amount of power required to maintain the state of the RAM, required to support instant-on. When the Kindle is off, it is consuming no power at all, and turning it on will require a full boot.
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
charonme
Zealot

the source of my confusion is the lack of answers to the questions I asked
Old 11-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by charonme View Post
the source of my confusion is the lack of answers to the questions I asked
I think baldrake answered the 'what does the k3 do in them question'

To get to sleep mode, you can either wait about 10 minutes or just flick the power switch for instant sleep mode.

To get out of sleep mode (regardless of how you entered it), you just flick the power switch again - and you are up in running in about 2 seconds.

When in sleep mode the screen will display a random dead author's image.

To turn completely off, you need to hold the power switch for x number of seconds (can't remember how many exactly, 5 or so seconds?). to turn back on, you guessed it, flick the power switch. I have never timed it, but probably takes about a minute to fully boot.

When turned off, the screen is blank.

I personally never turn mine completely off. the amount of power consumed in sleep mode (especially if you turn wifi off) is next to nothing.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
Mithent
Mithent began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi+3G
Yes, there's really no reason to turn the Kindle fully "off" unless you're not going to use it for a long time (weeks), it's crashed, or you have to specifically turn off all electronic devices as on a plane during takeoff and landing - though even then, I highly doubt that the Kindle would cause any problems with wireless off, but if you're going to stick to the letter of the law!

The power consumed by having to reboot the operating system whenever you wanted to use it is likely to be no less than the power consumed while it's in sleep mode, assuming you're not leaving it off for very long periods, and makes using the Kindle far less convenient. Best bet if you're concerned about conserving battery life is just to turn wireless off -that does have a significant effect.
Mithent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
charonme
Zealot

Thank you. I suspect the restart is needed when some of the hacks are to take effect?
Btw I wouldn't like if the screen was completely blank in off. Couldn't an "off" screen be defined somewhere? Isn't there something on the screen when it comes shipped? Or do they distribute it in the sleep mode?
Old 11-27-2010, 06:32 AM   #11
Bill Lumburgh
Enthusiast
Bill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Thank you. I suspect the restart is needed when some of the hacks are to take effect?
That is correct. NiLuJe's hacks come with an auto-reboot feature which will restart the Kindle shortly after it detects a USB device disconnect event. I don't know if the scripts need to perform any cleanup and/or housekeeping before rebooting but I've always used the auto-reboot feature just to be on the safe side.

Quote:
Btw I wouldn't like if the screen was completely blank in off. Couldn't an "off" screen be defined somewhere? Isn't there something on the screen when it comes shipped? Or do they distribute it in the sleep mode?
It's been a while since I got my K3 so I can't be sure but I am not aware of any way to have a screensaver when the Kindle is truly off. With wireless off, the Kindle uses so little power that I never took the time to really look into it though. We just keep ours on standby when we're not using them.
Bill Lumburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #12
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
I am curious. Why are you so concerned about turning it off?

If there was a sceen saver when it was off, you would have no way to tell if the device was asleep or off. Not a big deal I guess.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
I gather you haven't purchased a Kindle (yet)? If that is true, you may want to download the user guide to become more familiar.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #14
charonme
Zealot

thanks daffy, good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Why are you so concerned about turning it off?
I am not, I simply wish to know all there is to know. Often it may seem that I am obsessed about some particular info, but it's just that some info is easy to research and some other is hard to get - and even when I ask, some people keep not helping.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
Quote:
Isn't there something on the screen when it comes shipped? Or do they distribute it in the sleep mode?
There is something on the screen when the Kindle is shipped. From memory it was a picture and some text, indicating where the slide switch was located. I thought at first it was a printed screen protector.

But I have no way of knowing whether it was in sleep mode or in off mode. I suspect it was switched off. Anything displayed before it switches itself off should stay on the screen even when power is removed completely.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote