Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
carlodidier
carlodidier began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thumbs down Manage books without importing

Hi!
I have many eBooks in PDF and some in other formats. I absolutely want to keep them in the various folders where they are right now. Is there a way to manage them with Calibre without copying them? I just want to manage them (their metadata).
carlodidier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Have you tried the command line apps? ebook-meta seems to be what you want.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Have you tried the command line apps? ebook-meta seems to be what you want.
I believe many command line options operate on/require the Library, Which will require the book to be IN the library.

The OP needs to find a different tool than Calibre if they want to do it their way (their folders).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am sure I've used both ebook-convert and ebook-meta for standalone books. I'll have to check it out.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I am sure I've used both ebook-convert and ebook-meta for standalone books. I'll have to check it out.
That you probably have.
I was thinking to OP wanted to inject metadata, and covers. That could get hairy via the CLI.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
carlodidier
carlodidier began at the beginning.

Unhappy

Thanks for your comments. I'm definetely not looking into a CLI interface. What I want is something like calibre, BUT without copying the eBooks. Just manage them (the metadata) like a catalog in Lightroom where images stay where they are but are managed by the application, with all the metadata only in the database.
I can't see why the books have to be copied somewhere else. That's just stupid.
carlodidier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous

It looks like calibre is not for you. Good luck with your search.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlodidier View Post
Not stupid, a design decision that frankly saves the developer and the users quite a few headaches. Copying the books ensures that calibre is in no way going to alter the users original books. Ensures that all of the users book are in one location for easier backup. Ensures easier built in database disaster recovery. Ensures easier transfer of the library from one machine or disk to another. Bottom line is that it is a quality control decision that has prevented a lot more questions then it has spawned.

But this approach isn't for everyone. Good luck finding the management that fits your bill.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlodidier View Post
Thanks for your comments. I'm definetely not looking into a CLI interface. What I want is something like calibre, BUT without copying the eBooks. Just manage them (the metadata) like a catalog in Lightroom where images stay where they are but are managed by the application, with all the metadata only in the database.
@carlodidier - if you don't need the features of Calibre that operate on the book content files (PDF, MOBI, EPUB, etc) - e.g. conversion, e-book reader integration etc, then perhaps you could adapt my scheme for 'linking' non book files into Calibre - see my exchange with Lynx-lynx starting at post 13 in this thread ===>>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196599

It is OK to have a book in Calibre with no actual book content files

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote