Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
Iner
Iner began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook touch 622
English dictionary for Cybook Odyssey

Hi,

is there an opportunity to install an English-German Dictionary to the Odyssey? I´m very disappointed about the fact, that there is only the french one and the complete lack of support at Bookeen´s. On their website is written, the dictionaries are coming soon...and this since April! I asked some questions about the device to the support and never got a reply. Nice costumer service, this.
And no searchfunction in the library, this is crap too. I´m a little bit frustated.

iner
Iner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Hi Iner,

yes, unfortunately Bookeen does not seem to care about their customers so much...

I reverse engineered the dictionary format used by the Odyssey, and wrote a Python script to convert XML-like or Stardict dictionaries into that format.

Hence, if you have an English-German Stardict dictionary (I saw it around some time ago), you can convert it for using in the Odyssey.

You can find all the required information at the following URLs:

http://www.dei.unipd.it/~pettarin/penelope.html

or

http://code.google.com/p/penelope-dictionary-converter/
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
juh
juh began at the beginning.

Device: Odyssey
Hi,
I need some help.

How can I become run this (penelope) script?. My OS is Win7, and cmd.exe or Power Shell make "error".

Thanx.

(Sorry for my ugly english...)
juh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi,

you have to install Python on your Windows machine, add the python executable to your $PATH, and then download and run the script as described in the web page:

http://www.albertopettarin.it/penelope.html
Old 11-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
juh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
Hi,

you have to install Python on your Windows machine, add the python executable to your $PATH, and then download and run the script as described in the web page:

http://www.albertopettarin.it/penelope.html
Hi, AlPe!

Sorry, but this don't work.

I put together in same directory (I named it "penelope) this files:

English-German.dz, English-German.idx, English-German.ifo, empty.idx and penelope.py

Then, Run cmd....desktop>penelope> dir

Directory get open, all files displayed.

Further run:
...desktop>penelope>penelope.py -p English-German -f en -t en

and "penelope.py" get open with a lot of text inside.

Thats all. Nothing else happened.

No new files in the directory!.

What going wrong?.

Thank you once again.
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

If I understand correctly, you are not invoking python, but simply calling "penelope.py" that your Windows shell opens as a text file.

Assuming you added the python bin to your $PATH***, try cd to that directory and then:

Code:
python penelope.py -p English-German -f en -t de
as written in http://www.albertopettarin.it/penelope.html. Note that you must set "de" as the "to" language, if your dictionary is indeed from English to German.

*** To test whether you added python to your $PATH, try opening the interactive console:
Code:
python
(you can exit writing "quit()" --- without quotes )

Last edited by AlPe; 11-20-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
juh

Quote:
If I understand correctly, you are not invoking python, but simply calling "penelope.py" that your Windows shell opens as a text file.

Assuming you added the python bin to your $PATH***, try cd to that directory and then:

Code:
python penelope.py -p English-German -f en -t de
as written in http://www.albertopettarin.it/penelope.html. Note that you must set "de" as the "to" language, if your dictionary is indeed from English to German.

*** To test whether you added python to your $PATH, try opening the interactive console:
Code:
python
(you can exit writing "quit()" --- without quotes )
Hi, AlPe,

my $PATH look so:
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\Sy stem32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShel l\v1.0\;C:\Python27\
and when I write Code "python" into cmd, python appears on the screen (Python 2.7.3 is installed on my Notebook).

After writing in Command line: python penelope.py -p English-German -f en -t de
become this message:
"File "penelope.py", line 5 <!DOCTYPE html> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Whitout "python" (only: penelope.py -p English-German -f en -t de) get "penelope.py" open and nothing else is happen...

I do something wrong. But, I don't know WHAT!?

It look so simple, but...
Old 11-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

It seems like you downloaded an HTML page instead of penelope.py as a plain-text file.

Try downloading the raw file from: http://penelope-dictionary-converter...pe/penelope.py

Please check that you properly downloaded the other files as well.

Last edited by AlPe; 11-20-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
juh

Quote:
It seems like you downloaded an HTML page instead of penelope.py as a plain-text file.

Try downloading the raw file from: http://penelope-dictionary-converter...pe/penelope.py

Please check that you properly downloaded the other files as well.
Thank you!.

Its look better now. I have two new files: English_German.dict (.dict) (5MB) & en-de.dict (.idx) - but don't work in Odyssey !.

In the cmd-console is this message:
[INFO] Reading input dictionary...
[INFO] Parsing the input dictionary...
[INFO] Using the built-in parser...
[INFO] Outputing in Odyssey format to file...
Traceback <most recent call last>:
File "penelope.py", line 983, in <module> main<>
File "penelope.py", line 958, in main write_to_Odyssey_format<config, parsed_data, debug>
File "penelope.py", line 182, in write_to_Odyssey_format sql_cursor.execute<'delete from T_DictIndex '>
sqlite3.DatabaseError: file is encripted or is not a database

When I put this 2 files in Odyssey's Dictionary, en-de dictyonary do not appear...

I believe, I stole your time... I am really Sorry for that...
Old 11-21-2012, 04:52 AM   #10
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

It looks like you have some problems with your empty.idx.

Are you sure you have the correct file (not an HTML as with penelope)?

You can download it from the following URL:

http://penelope-dictionary-converter...lope/empty.idx

The file should be 6144 bytes, with the following signatures:
Code:
$ file empty.idx 
empty.idx: SQLite 3.x database
$ md5sum empty.idx 
51ebcf397d50e4a2a673f85402ae2a94  empty.idx
$ sha1sum empty.idx 
0ae8d4467819786afe4324355fee50cd8e416f7d  empty.idx

Last edited by AlPe; 11-21-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #11
juh

Quote:
It looks like you have some problems with your empty.idx.

Are you sure you have the correct file (not an HTML as with penelope)?

You can download it from the following URL:

http://penelope-dictionary-converter...lope/empty.idx

The file should be 6144 bytes, with the following signatures:
Code:
$ file empty.idx 
empty.idx: SQLite 3.x database
$ md5sum empty.idx 
51ebcf397d50e4a2a673f85402ae2a94  empty.idx
$ sha1sum empty.idx 
0ae8d4467819786afe4324355fee50cd8e416f7d  empty.idx
Yes, I have new "empty" file now, checksum is right, but now end line in cmd look so:

sqlite3.DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

And, old .idx file is 2663Kb, new .idx file only 3Kb, .ifo is only 1Kb big.
My Dictionary file is: stardict-comn_sdict_axm03_English_German-2.4.2.tar.bz2
That's right so? Or Dictionary file is no correct?.

Thank you for your patience whit me!.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
BibboTheGreat
BibboTheGreat began at the beginning.

Device: none
From the Bookeen I received this link to download a few dictionaries directly in the Cybook Odyssey.
They write:
1. make sure that the firmware of your Cybook Odyssey is version 1.4.1485 or later
2. open the browser
3. tap the address bar
4. enter http://176.31.234.27/dic
5. download the dictionary(ies) of your choice
BibboTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibboTheGreat View Post
From the Bookeen I received this link to download a few dictionaries directly in the Cybook Odyssey.
They write:
1. make sure that the firmware of your Cybook Odyssey is version 1.4.1485 or later
2. open the browser
3. tap the address bar
4. enter http://176.31.234.27/dic
5. download the dictionary(ies) of your choice
These dictionaries have been known to be available since March 2012. Please use the search function before posting. Also, the OP is asking for a EN->DE dictionary, which is not available from Bookeen.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

juh: check your private messages.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
juh

Thank you, AIPe