Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #31
m3l7d0wN
Zealot
m3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony PRS-T1
well, right, you can't access a console and dump...
btw, I don't think the rsa key is used at all for firmware upgrade... so you should be able to access recovery mode with he proper sdrescue package, if the rsa key was the problem
m3l7d0wN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #32
flyingdog
flyingdog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3l7d0wN View Post
well, right, you can't access a console and dump...
btw, I don't think the rsa key is used at all for firmware upgrade... so you should be able to access recovery mode with he proper sdrescue package, if the rsa key was the problem
ahh, that's a great news but how to prepare it :| ..
flyingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #33
m3l7d0wN
Zealot
m3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

well, this is the image
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54414959/update.img
(see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=gadget&page=2)

you should put it in OS Firmware/files/ inside your external sd.. and boot with home+menu
Old 02-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #34
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdog View Post
my problem, I m trying to get a dump of the partitions, I am at the beginning of the beginning... your flashing tools based on XXX update.package won't work for me as I believe the RSA key is different. I think the RSA key is somewhere stored around the beginning of the bootloader (I looked at your scripts to extract the .packages) I need a dump before.. so I am back to the beginning
If you have the Western or Japanese model of PRS-T1, your encryption keys are exactly the same as everyone else's. If you have a PRS-G1 or the Russian model of PRS-T1, the SD card update will not work for you, and the encryption method of the update packages is quite different. Beside the fact that they are signed by a private key.

One more thing to remember. If you have an update image on the SD card, it has priority over the update package in the internal memory. To get the "serial gadget" login you need to copy the XXX-Updater.package from the login_update folder in this archive into the root of the "internal memory" ("drive" READER).

Last edited by porkupan; 02-02-2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: extra info added
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #35
m3l7d0wN
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
If you have the Western or Japanese model of PRS-T1, your encryption keys are exactly the same as everyone else's. If you have a PRS-G1 or the Russian model of PRS-T1, the SD card update will not work for you, and the encryption method of the update packages is quite different. Beside the fact that they are signed by a private key.

One more thing to remember. If you have an update image on the SD card, it has priority over the update package in the internal memory. To get the "serial gadget" login you need to copy the XXX-Updater.package from the login_update folder in this archive into the root of the "internal memory" ("drive" READER).
the modified sdrescue image I have posted above should boots in recovery mode (I have not tested it)
Old 02-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #36
giosa
Connoisseur
giosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Sony PRS T1
Hi guys,

Interesting discussion is going on here.

I need to copy system fonts partition to cramfsck it, substitute the system font (the one that's responsible for book titles, bookmarks, file names etc. I don't know name of the font ) with my chosen font, mkcramfs it and write back modified fonts partition.

I don't understand why I need the steps to connect the reader in recovery mode to PC, why I don't use the below command with terminal emulator on my PRS T1?

Please, explain in detail I'm having hard time to understand this stuff.

# make a backup of fonts partition
dd if=/dev/mmcblk2p5 of=/mnt/sd/mmcblk2p5_fonts.img

Last edited by giosa; 02-04-2012 at 12:13 AM.
giosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #37
giosa
Connoisseur
giosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

I've made the following: Entered into recovery mode by using the app "@Test Mode"
Then, started Terminal emulator and typed the command

the result was

dev/mmcblk2p5: cannot open for read: No such file or directory

Any help much appreciated.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #38
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by giosa View Post
I've made the following: Entered into recovery mode by using the app "@Test Mode"
Then, started Terminal emulator and typed the command

the result was

dev/mmcblk2p5: cannot open for read: No such file or directory

Any help much appreciated.
Without understanding what exactly you're trying to do (weren't there some other suggestions to use a mount -bind method to overwrite the system fonts?), the full name of the mmcblk2p5 file on my T1 is /dev/block/mmcblk2p5. Also, shouldn't your output file start with /mnt/sdcard?

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #39
giosa
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
Without understanding what exactly you're trying to do (weren't there some other suggestions to use a mount -bind method to overwrite the system fonts?), the full name of the mmcblk2p5 file on my T1 is /dev/block/mmcblk2p5. Also, shouldn't your output file start with /mnt/sdcard?

Cheers,
Simon.
Hi Simon,

My goal is to make PRS T1 show Georgian Unicode font correctly in book titles, bookmarks etc., now it shows ???????????. To achive this I've decided I need to substitute one of the systems/fonts/........ttf/otf (I'm not sure which one yet) with DejaVuSansCondensed.ttf

Please, correct my If I'm wrong.

I read there that mount -bind method to overwrite the system is not reliable method, the post said it need some apk to be installed to remount every time a device is restarted. That's why I've decided to go with modifying cramfs file for system fonts.

I figured out from previous post mmcblk2p5 is fonts cramfs image, correct me if I'm worng.

So I've copied that command above from previous post to transfer mmcblk2p5 (systems fonts folder in my understanding) to external microsd so as to transfer it later to PC modify it and flash it back. That's it.

And I'm stuck right at the start.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #40
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi Simon,

My goal is to make PRS T1 show Georgian Unicode font correctly in book titles, bookmarks etc., now it shows ???????????. To achive this I've decided I need to substitute one of the systems/fonts/........ttf/otf (I'm not sure which one yet) with DejaVuSansCondensed.ttf

Please, correct my If I'm wrong.

I read there that mount -bind method to overwrite the system is not reliable method, the post said it need some apk to be installed to remount every time a device is restarted. That's why I've decided to go with modifying cramfs file for system fonts.
I've not looked at using mount -bind, so can't comment on how hard/easy/reliable that method is.

One question - the Deva Vu fonts aren't exactly small. Have you verified that there's enough room for a larger cramfs image on the T1 that includes that font?

Quote:
I figured out from previous post mmcblk2p5 is fonts cramfs image, correct me if I'm worng.

So I've copied that command above from previous post to transfer mmcblk2p5 (systems fonts folder in my understanding) to external microsd so as to transfer it later to PC modify it and flash it back. That's it.

And I'm stuck right at the start.
The info for the location of the cramfs image is right there on the T1. If you use the "mount" command (with adb, terminal, etc), you'll see:

/dev/block/mmcblk2p5 /ebook/fonts cramfs ro,relatime 0 0

Did you try using the correct paths in your dd command as I suggested in my previous post in this thread?

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #41
giosa
Connoisseur

Quote:
One question - the Deva Vu fonts aren't exactly small. Have you verified that there's enough room for a larger cramfs image on the T1 that includes that font?
I'm not sure, If I substitute one of the system fonts it will free some room right? DejavuSans is about 700KB not too large.

Quote:
Did you try using the correct paths in your dd command as I suggested in my previous post in this thread?
I'm confused Fonts folder I suppose I need is in /system/fonts
Old 02-04-2012, 01:44 AM   #42
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur

Quote:
I'm not sure, If I substitute one of the system fonts it will free some room right? DejavuSans is about 700KB not too large.
I think you're wanting to replace the tt0003m font? That one is 70kB.

Quote:
I'm confused Fonts folder I suppose I need is in /system/fonts
/system/fonts is a symbolic links to /ebook/fonts.

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #43
giosa
Connoisseur

Quote:
I think you're wanting to replace the tt0003m font? That one is 70kB.
You think it will not fit?

Quote:
/system/fonts is a symbolic links to /ebook/fonts.
Yes you right, So what link should be used in dd command you think?
Old 02-04-2012, 02:27 AM   #44
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur

Quote:
You think it will not fit?
It really depends on how much space is available in the internal memory on the T1. If there's a gap after the end of the mmcblk2p5 partition before the next partition starts, you'll be OK. I don't know though how to check that, although this post from uboot seems to indicate there's no spare space.

Quote:
Yes you right, So what link should be used in dd command you think?
I'd use this dd command (untested):

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk2p5 of=/mnt/sdcard/mmcblk2p5_fonts.img

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:45 AM   #45
giosa
Connoisseur

Quote:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk2p5 of=/mnt/sdcard/mmcblk2p5_fonts.img
Tried, it said cannot open for read: Permission denied.

Tags
backup, dump, image, link2sd