Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Kindle Million Club - George R.R. Martin

Just read this in this month's Locus magazine:

GEORGE R.R. MARTIN is the tenth member of the ‘‘Kindle Million Club,’’ having
sold one million copies of his books for the popular e-reader. He joins other
popular authors including Charlaine Harris, James Patterson, and Suzanne
Collins.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:29 AM   #2
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Hear, hear for GRR.

I like his books. I love his series on TV: "Game of Swords"

Next year the dragons come.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
tothepoint
Writer
tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: Kindle
How do these people do it? :-)
tothepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Probably the same way you have 100000 karma and six posts
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We all try hard.

George has been at it longer, and does much better than most.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Game of Thrones
Storm of Swords
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Game of Thrones
Storm of Swords
Thanks. That is called something besides confusion, but it doesn't come to me right away. I have got to get more sleep.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Hear, hear for GRR.
Next year the dragons come.
I do hope you are talking about the TV series - you'll be lucky to see book 6 this decade.........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #9
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I do hope you are talking about the TV series - you'll be lucky to see book 6 this decade.........
I have only read book 1 (of the series) because I am enjoying the TV show and don't want spoilers.

I have the rest sitting in my cache, the last is book 5.

Remember George is very busy, doing lots of things besides finishing up his signature series.

I can testify (on a much smaller scale of course) that it is hard to keep plugging away on the "great universal theme." You need breaks.

Besides George himself has been a bit snippy to those who protest too much about his work methods. We don't want him mad at us.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
The author of my favorite series. I'm glad to hear his books are doing well, they are so worth reading.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Remember George is very busy, doing lots of things besides finishing up his signature series.

I can testify (on a much smaller scale of course) that it is hard to keep plugging away on the "great universal theme." You need breaks.

Besides George himself has been a bit snippy to those who protest too much about his work methods. We don't want him mad at us.

Sure, but he's gone to two years between books for the first three, to five (for book 4) and six (for book 5). I am a big fan of the series but Martin is not a young man... and I'm afraid he's going to do another Robert Jordan.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #12
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I got one of my friends hooked on the series recently, and he commented that he's been getting so much attention for carrying around a copy of A Feast for Crows. I said that I'm going to have to skin my Sony Reader with a A Game of Thrones skin or cover so that I can get other fans talking to me also! (maybe this is veering off topic).. but I think I'm going to look into that. While I love my Sony PRS-505 and would never skin over its beautiful metal case, a skin on the new T1 would basically negate the biggest con of buying a T1 that I can think of now that Amazon's 3G looks to be gutted.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #13
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
I got one of my friends hooked on the series recently, and he commented that he's been getting so much attention for carrying around a copy of A Feast for Crows. I said that I'm going to have to skin my Sony Reader with a A Game of Thrones skin or cover so that I can get other fans talking to me also! (maybe this is veering off topic).. but I think I'm going to look into that. While I love my Sony PRS-505 and would never skin over its beautiful metal case, a skin on the new T1 would basically negate the biggest con of buying a T1 that I can think of now that Amazon's 3G looks to be gutted.
Gee, "skinned," "gutted" sounds like you are prepping venison and fish instead of a bunch of crows.

Oh! Feast "for" Crows, not "of" Crows.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #14
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazybones View Post
Sure, but he's gone to two years between books for the first three, to five (for book 4) and six (for book 5). I am a big fan of the series but Martin is not a young man... and I'm afraid he's going to do another Robert Jordan.
Good authors shouldn't die.
Robert Jordan could really dawdle (pot boil) at times getting out those pages and pages and pages but when he set his mind to it and got going, he was the very best at writing. Lord, I wish I was that good. A great loss.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:06 AM   #15
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
I like his books.
I started reading book 1 of the Game of Thrones series after all the positive acclaim, but so far I have been terribly disappointed. Especially the 'bad' characters seem rather thin and predictable so far. Whereas it makes the plot easy to follow, it's rather unsubtle until now.

I will probably make the effort to finish the first book, but if there's no improvement I will probably skip the rest of the series.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote