Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #16
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by romandesign View Post
Question: I could not find the script for the installed plugin in Calibre, so each time I tweak the script I have to uninstall and reinstall the plugin. Is there an easier way?
You should not be editing the script. You can edit the columns by using the Tweaks settings as mentioned above in Customising the plugin.

I'm using tweaks at the moment which means adding/editing a text file in Calibre, but hope to move to using a gui interface - but it will take a while.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #17
romandesign
romandesign began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Are you using "" as the prefix?
Exactly. I figured it out just before you replied - I did not expect to see collections an books in the same list. I have put "- " back and now it sorts them alphabetically. So that issue is solved.

However as CWatkinsNash pointed out, it would be much nicer if sorting collections alphabetically in "collections" also worked. It makes much sense to use it that way sometimes. You'd have alphabetical collection (auhors) listing, but with recent items on top.

And an option to choose how many books by the same author (or tag or series) would trigger creating collections would be really nice, but I'm repeating myself...

GUI interface - great idea! Especially if you can incorporate collection prefix characters and options to pre-sort and minimum books to trigger collection creating.

In any case - big thanks for doing this! I can't believe something like this is no part of default firmware design, but this is the next best thing. As it doesn't have to be done often, restarting Kindle is not a big PITA.

-------
Roman Bershadsky
Web designer, Roman Design Toronto web design studio

Last edited by romandesign; 01-27-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #18
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I'm not Roman, but I'm interested in this and have some of the same concerns he posted.
Thanks for all the comments. I did ask Experience with using collections and heavy use of other scripts is one thing I'm missing - so I need the real world feedback.

Quote:
I see your point, but having the access time reset option does make it easier to make sure all your expected collections are there.
Yep, got it.

Quote:
You can add a +1 to the demand for this. Honestly, the plugin isn't much use to me unless I can tweak the minimum number for a collection to be created.
OK, I'm starting to lean that way. I saw it in the old code, but when I starting writing the plugin I wanted to start simple first. I'll need to see how to incorporate this without making updating the preferences even more confusing.
Quote:
an option to run it in update instead of rebuild mode. I really don't want to have to stick my random non-modified Amazon files back in collections any more often than I have to.
Updating instead of rebuild a big change - a lot of effort to read the Amazon file and merge the two. I like the clean slate each time and it'll take a lot to make me want to do this. What do you mean by "non-modified Amazon files" falling out of collections?

Quote:
Does it produce a job log?
Run it in debug mode as described above - the debug file is displayed after you exist Calibre and it tells you where it stored the log.

Quote:
One more thing - in your first post (I think) you stated that you could replace the collection prefix character ("~", etc) with any text. This has not been my experience. For example, "> " will show up as gibberish on the Kindle, or at least it did when I've tried it in the past. I have no idea what other characters produce similar results. If I get ambitious this weekend maybe I'll test a bunch of characters and see what else works or doesn't.
Good point - will need to test as well, and update "any" to something else.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #19
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
OK, I'm starting to lean that way. I saw it in the old code, but when I starting writing the plugin I wanted to start simple first. I'll need to see how to incorporate this without making updating the preferences even more confusing.
Cool. Even if it was one universal item for all collection elements that would be good (ie, "don't create collections for groups with less than __ books" or whatever). Since you're allowing the option for people to tweak to use user columns, this would be a good compromise. It would satisfy my OCD, and anyone else who wants to avoid single-book collections.

Quote:
Updating instead of rebuild a big change - a lot of effort to read the Amazon file and merge the two. I like the clean slate each time and it'll take a lot to make me want to do this. What do you mean by "non-modified Amazon files" falling out of collections?
There are some Amazon files that simply won't stay put. Most can be taken care of by double-converting to strip the Amazon ASIN, but some of the books I have will not convert properly. Also, Kindle Active Content games and apps fall into this category. They can only be put into collections by using the Kindle, but will stay there if there is an "update" mode like the script I'm using. I only run in rebuild mode if I've made a lot of changes. I understand if you don't want to do it, I just wanted to explain why it could be useful.

Quote:
Run it in debug mode as described above - the debug file is displayed after you exist Calibre and it tells you where it stored the log.
Ah, yes. Not sure how I missed that part.

Quote:
Good point - will need to test as well, and update "any" to something else.
I'll play around with it some too this weekend. I can tell you, however, that tags (or any other collection-generating element used) cannot contain an ampersand followed by a space. You will get "&&nsbp". Kindle reverts to code under seemingly arbitrary circumstances. Oh, I'm sure there's logic to it, it just requires trial and error to see the logic. If you come up with any results in that area, post it here and I'll do the same. My plan is to create a user column with items using special characters and generating collections from that column. That's the easiest way I can think of to test it without messing with my existing collections.

Edit to add - Now that I think about it, the ampersand thing may be a python character issue. I think calibre displays the ampersand but it's replaced by the code behind the scenes, which is why it shows up that way on the Kindle. Hmmm... that gives me more to think about with the "special character" thing.

Last edited by CWatkinsNash; 01-27-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #20
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Ok, I am just a sucker for punishment, after trying your plugin once on my husband's kindle I just had to try it on mine, which has more books and more collections. WOW, not only did it add all 1271 books to the correct collection, but I did not have the problem with those 227 books not going into their correct collection. We may have a winner now. I will test it some more throughout the week with the change in collections, but so far so good.

Now I have a rhetorical question for you: If a books has multiple tags, will it add the book to multiple collections??
Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #21
romandesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Now I have a rhetorical question for you: If a books has multiple tags, will it add the book to multiple collections??
Sorry for interrupting, but that's actually not a rhetorical question, because you expect an answer Rhetorical question would be (after ruining your Kindle library for example) "Why me?" or something like that, where no answer is expected or even possible.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:25 AM   #22
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
I've tried several different kindle collection editors and have been playing around with plug-ins etc on calibre. I'm excited to give this a try on my next day off. Thanks for the plug-in.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:13 AM   #23
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by romandesign View Post
Sorry for interrupting, but that's actually not a rhetorical question, because you expect an answer Rhetorical question would be (after ruining your Kindle library for example) "Why me?" or something like that, where no answer is expected or even possible.
And now that we have given the grammar lesson, do you have an answer??
Old 01-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #24
romandesign

Quote:
And now that we have given the grammar lesson, do you have an answer??
I was just kidding, don't take it too seriously

Unfortunately I don't have an answer. I only use collections by authors, so there are no duplicates. I suppose it should do it that way, no reason why it shouldn't. The book can be in different collections by author, tag, and series... You can back up your collections file and try.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #25
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
There are some Amazon files that simply won't stay put. Most can be taken care of by double-converting to strip the Amazon ASIN, but some of the books I have will not convert properly. Also, Kindle Active Content games and apps fall into this category.
I'll need to get an app to try this with - any suggestions? Any examples of any books that won't stay put?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #26
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Ok, I am just a sucker for punishment, after trying your plugin once on my husband's kindle I just had to try it on mine, which has more books and more collections. WOW, not only did it add all 1271 books to the correct collection, but I did not have the problem with those 227 books not going into their correct collection. We may have a winner now. I will test it some more throughout the week with the change in collections, but so far so good.

Great to hear - thanks for giving it a try.

Yes, if a book has multiple tags, then it will be put into multiple collections.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #27
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
I'll need to get an app to try this with - any suggestions? Any examples of any books that won't stay put?
I think Blackjack is still free on Amazon if you wanna try it with that. As for examples, not off the top of my head, although I know one is a Bible. I'll get back to you later on that. After I try out the plugin later today I'll give you specifics on anything that won't stay put.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #28
coaver
coaver began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 & Kindle for Android
Calibre Kindle Collection Plugin errors

Wow! This look like it is going to be a wonderful addition to the Calibre Plugins.

I am trying it out and every time I select to create collections it seems to randomly select some authors, tags and series to create the collections by.

I have applied the following tweak that should make the plug in create collections only based on tags and series:

create_kindle_collections = {
"series": "_ ",
"tags": "- "
}

When I try to create collections it does nt seem to work then when I try to manage collections I get this error:

ERROR: ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'BookList' object has no attribute 'rebuild_collections'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\edit_collections.py" , line 33, in edit_collections
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\edit_metadata.py", line 405, in edit_device_collections
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 1137, in upload_collections
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 339, in upload_collections
AttributeError: 'BookList' object has no attribute 'rebuild_collections'

How do I fix this? What can I send or post that will help you with fixing this problem?

Last edited by coaver; 01-28-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #29
meme
Sigil developer

Updated the plugin to Version 1.1 so now:
  • Collections initially appear sorted in Kindle's By Collection view
  • Specify the minimum number of books needed in a collection before creating a collection
  • fixed a bug in lastAccess time
NOTE: The tweak format has been updated with this release - so if you edited the tweaks, you need to update it with the new format (if I can move to the gui setup then you won't need to worry about the internal format : )
Old 01-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #30
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaver View Post
Wow! This look like it is going to be a wonderful addition to the Calibre Plugins.
Thanks!

Quote:
I am trying it out and every time I select to create collections it seems to randomly select some authors, tags and series to create the collections by.
I have applied the following tweak that should make the plug in create collections only based on tags and series:
Ah - a typo in my instructions. I've updated it now, thanks.

First - download the newest version of the script and update your tweaks to the new format (restart after setting the tweak), so you would now use:
create_kindle_collections_usecolumns = {
"series": [ "_ ", 1 ],
"tags": [ "- ", 1 ]
}

You can also restart in Debug mode as above to see a report showing the tweaks and what collections are being created, etc. - maybe that can pinpoint what's going one

Quote:
When I try to create collections it does nt seem to work then when I try to manage collections I get this error:
What are you doing to 'manage collections'? - those error messages are from Calibre not the plugin. Calibre can't manage Kindle's collections by default, though it can read them.
Closed Thread