Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
Monkfishy
Monkfishy doesn't litterMonkfishy doesn't litter

Device: none
Question Looking for input on first ebook reader

I've finally decided I might really need an ebook reader. First, I travel pretty often, and books are heavy, take up space, and I still have to carry them around even after I've read them.

Second, my house is cram-packed full of books I've read. There are literally books in every room.

Third, I'm an avid knitter. Wherever I go, I usually take my knitting, and that also means carrying patterns around. One of my requirements for an ebook reader would be one that I could load PDF files on, and also take notes on (I'm always changing something in a pattern).

So, those requirements really narrow the field. For one thing, I've already ruled out the Kindle because the file formats are too limited. I also don't like the attached keyboard, and the price is beyond my limit. Yes, price is another big consideration for me.

I've already gotten great pointers from thinkpadx & rlparker about the ebook readers comparison matrix and the knitters' thread. Feel free to jump in with any other advice you might have. Thank you!
Monkfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I think the Kindle is the cheapest of the 6 inch e-book readers. You can pick up a K3 with WiFi for $139 or the 3G WiFi option for $189. I am not aware of too many e-readers available for that price.

The K3 is also one of the smallest e-readers even with the keyboard. It is smaller then the Sony and the Nook. I think that the Kobo is the only e-reader that weighs less then the K3.

That keyboard comes in handy for taking notes, which is really easy to do on the Kindle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
Monkfishy
Monkfishy doesn't litterMonkfishy doesn't litter

Device: none
Wow - I didn't know the Kindle had come down that much! Taking notes is exactly what I'd want to do, too. Does the Kindle read ePub or PDF text formats, though? I wouldn't mind being locked into the Amazon store, as long as I could also load other formats, and my own converted files (from online knitting patterns).

Thanks for the advice!
Monkfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It does not read EPub, but those can be converted using calibre if they do not have a DRM on them. It does read PDF's. I have never used the PDF feature so I cannot say how well that works.

You are not locked into the Amazon store. If you check the Kindle boards here you will find that there are many book stores that sell books that can be loaded onto the Kindle. Either they have already been convereted to a mobi format or are in an un-DRMed EPub format and convereted to Mobi.

You can also use feedbooks and Guttenburg to download the books that are no longer copyrighted.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
The .pdf features of the Kindle3 are supposed to be much improved but there is not very much space on the device for a large number of .pdf files and I believe you have to email them to your account. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

You can side load the PDF's to your Kindle. The only reason to have them emailed to your account is if you want them converted to the Amazon file format.

I don't use PDF's on my Kindle so I have no idea what the pros or cons are for conversion. I read somewhere that if you converted the PDF you could change the font size and ot worry about panning in and out.

Tags
keyboard, knitting, notes, pdf