Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
vipinpa
Web Programmer
vipinpa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Epub cover image issue

Hello Everyone,

I have some issue with cover page. The problem is my cover image showing last of the page when I load it in calibre.

I have done .opf like this

in <metadata> section put this
<meta name='cover' content='cover-image'/>

and in <manifest> section cover image and title page like this.

<item id="title" href="title.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item id='cover-image' href='images/cover.jpg' media-type='image/jpeg' />
etc..
'images/cover.jpg' in title.html file.

and in <spine> section ,

<spine toc="ncx">
<itemref idref="title" linear="no"/>
<itemref idref="other pages" />
etc...

finally in <guide> section

<guide>
<reference type="cover" title="Cover Image" href="title.html"/>
etc

I want to show first cover image when I load .epub in calibre. Can you please help me, if I made any mistake in that or need to add anything else?

Please help me.

Vipin
vipinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:27 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Items in the spine with linear="no" don't normally show in Calibre ebook reader. They are accessible if there are hyperlinks to them, but not through normal browsing.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
vipinpa
Web Programmer

Thanks for your reply.

But why cover page showing at the end of the book?

Actually I am converting .epub to .mobi for kindle. If I remove linear="no" , then it will show cover page at the start, but in Kindle previewer it showing two cover pages.

Spend so much time on this.

Please help me.

Thanks
Vipin
Old 05-20-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinpa View Post
Spend so much time on this.

Please help me.
Test your ePubs in something other than the Calibre viewer.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
vipinpa
Web Programmer

I have checked it in bookworm.oreilly.com. I think here it is looking good.

But how can we fix it in calibre and .mobi file in kindle previewer?

Thanks,
vipin
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 05:29 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Hi vipinpa, i've moved your thread to the epub forum where it will be more visible. good luck with your problem.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:39 AM   #7
vipinpa
Web Programmer

Hello zelda_pinwheel,

Thanks for moving my thread to epub forum. I am really waiting for a solution..

Thanks,
Vipin
Old 05-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But why cover page showing at the end of the book?

Actually I am converting .epub to .mobi for kindle. If I remove linear="no" , then it will show cover page at the start, but in Kindle previewer it showing two cover pages.
I think you'll need to upload a sample epub before anyone can give a definitive answer. It might just be a problem with the Calibre viewer, or you might be misinterpreting what you're seeing.

I'd suggest keeping the linear="no", as otherwise you'll have problems with the Kindle file having two versions of the cover image at the front. ePub viewers will show the cover by other means.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:44 AM   #9
vipinpa
Web Programmer

Hello,

I am attaching epub here. you can see cover image at the end.

Please check it and let me know if I made any mistake in it.

Thanks in advance.

Vipin

Last edited by vipinpa; 05-25-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

There are lots of mistakes, but none that affect the cover image. It seems that the Calibre Viewer just decides to put any linear="no" items in the spine at the end, instead of only showing through through TOC access.

As I said - you need to test in more than the Calibre viewer. Adobe Digital Editions is good, since most people will be using one form of it or another. But test in more than one viewer if you can.

You also need to run epubcheck - your .ncx file has a problem with duplicate play order numbers, and your XHTML isn't compliant.

And once you have epubcheck, don't forget that it only checks technical problems with DTD compliance. Passing epubcheck doesn't mean your epub will look good, or read as you expect.

I'd also suggest cutting the cover image down to just the front cover.
Quote:
Hello,

I am attaching epub here. you can see cover image at the end.

Please check it and let me know if I made any mistake in it.

Thanks in advance.

Vipin
Old 05-23-2010, 11:57 PM   #11
vipinpa
Web Programmer

Hello pdurrant,

Thanks for your reply. It is not fixed yet. I am trying to fix it.

Can you tell me what are the major mistakes I have made in the epub please..

Thanks,
Vipin
Old 05-24-2010, 12:23 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Hello pdurrant,

Thanks,
Vipin
Your cover page isn't annotated as a cover page. Open up the ePub using Sigil. Right click on title.html - Add symantics - check cover. Then save the file.

I hope this helps.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:13 AM   #13
vipinpa
Web Programmer

Hello dwanthny,

Thanks for your reply. Actually I am a beginner in epub. I have done what you explained. But I didn't get what is the issue. If you don't mind, please give me bit more explanation about it.

Thanks,
Vipin
Old 05-24-2010, 01:20 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Actually I am a beginner in epub. I have done what you explained. But I didn't get what is the issue. If you don't mind, please give me bit more explanation about it.
You and I are at the same beginning level. I just noticed that item in Sigil, tried it on your book and it worked.

It seems this setting labels that html as the cover page and it is treated as such from then on.

Now you know everything I know on the subject.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:11 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I didn't say major. I did say:

your .ncx file has a problem with duplicate play order numbers, and your XHTML isn't compliant.

regards,

Paul

Quote:
Hello pdurrant,

Thanks,
Vipin