Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 09-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #106
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Using my EBW1150, I managed to surf the www.mobileread.mobi site quite well (50+ 'next' and then go to 'last' page and 10+ 'prev') with no resets in sight! I had my plugin to force the smallest font enabled and it crammed a lot of text onto the screen. I love it!

However, I was getting tired of plain-jane screens so I went to the forums and wiki and lo and behold I managed to get a crash! But I was looking for it to happen... See my log attached below, if it helps!
That helps a lot, as it looks the ebook crashed just after trying to access the eBookwise photo. Assuming that it needs to decode the whole picture in memory, then it requires roughly 0.5M of memory (a back of the envelope estimate). Can you tell me how much internal memory and how much free memory on the SM card was present? Because then it begins to look like the low memory issue is the root cause which may be turning up when a site has a lot of images, not when browsing mobile-friendly sites which anyway do not use images that much.

One quick test: can you create a new HTML in your content and include the image and see if it crashes if you navigate locally? If not, then does adding 2 or 3 different large images causes it to crash? If it does crash, then we need to benchmark the maximum size of the images allowed and if they are encountered, then do some handling in impserve for that.

Quote:
p.s. why does my log say "impmake 0.4.1: starting server on 127.0.0.1:9090" when running impserve...
That's a typo which has already been fixed yesterday but not put in the archive uploaded here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz View Post
Can you tell me which version worked better (linreb, or an older impserve version)? Also, can you post a log of where it fails so I can improve it
I was referring to the versions of the ebook. I will try to get to the log tonight.
Hmm, I don't think there's a way in which you can rollback to an older version of the firmware. If we could verify that, we can then report a regression to ETI...

Quote:
I have been testing the link to MobileRead. It doesn't alway work, and I have come up with a few ideas.

a, If the 8MB storage is full or the link is inside a large IMP file, my 1150 will almost certainly crash.

b, If the link is inside a small file, my 1150 will likely not crash.

There could be other causes, but the two situations above have happened consistently.
That ties in well with the analysis for nrapallo above. Can you try to remove all books from the internal storage and move them to the SM card? I suspect that the 1150 may be using the internal storage as swap space if it runs out of memory (which is more likely to happen in a large IMP file).

Quote:
Do you know how to format (erase external) the SM card within the ebook reader? You can format it using FAT (not FAT32) with a SM card reader and a PC, but I would still allow the reader to format it (again) before use, just to be sure.

The 8 MB internal storage is there in case there is no SM installed and it would be wise to keep it free of unnecessary files. When the SM card is installed, I think it overrides/supercedes its use.
I'd advise you to do the same, as we need to verify the swap space theory too...
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #107
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:

Hmm, I don't think there's a way in which you can rollback to an older version of the firmware. If we could verify that, we can then report a regression to ETI...
I was talking about the ebook file, not the ebook _reader_.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2008, 12:12 PM   #108
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I was talking about the ebook file, not the ebook _reader_.
One more victim of dual-use words
Old 09-03-2008, 12:35 PM   #109
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
That helps a lot, as it looks the ebook crashed just after trying to access the eBookwise photo. Assuming that it needs to decode the whole picture in memory, then it requires roughly 0.5M of memory (a back of the envelope estimate). Can you tell me how much internal memory and how much free memory on the SM card was present? Because then it begins to look like the low memory issue is the root cause which may be turning up when a site has a lot of images, not when browsing mobile-friendly sites which anyway do not use images that much.
It doesn't use the 8 MB internal storage (or external SM) as internal memory or swap area. The internal memory on the EBW1150 is 4 MB for both code (builtin reader app) and data per Garth's email to me and info posted here. It's running out of internal (4 MB) memory when it loads that .gif image at the end of surfing; but not when I surf there first since I passed that point before (see my EBW1150 album)! I believe, the 4 MB internal memory is the culprit!

Quote:
One quick test: can you create a new HTML in your content and include the image and see if it crashes if you navigate locally? If not, then does adding 2 or 3 different large images causes it to crash? If it does crash, then we need to benchmark the maximum size of the images allowed and if they are encountered, then do some handling in impserve for that.
I don't need to do that because the content directory I uploaded with Linreb-0.2 had a large picture (REBTD-fullpage.png @ 0.48 MB) followed by a smaller sized file of the same image (REBTD-fullpage256.png @ 0.13 MB) on the second page of the next.html which would crash the EBW1150 sometimes. The follower image (REBTD-fullpage256.png) would render without problems. So it now seems that I have seen this behaviour before...

A solution (for large images crashing the reader) could be for a plugin to 'convert' all images (over a certain size) to 16 or 256 colors, if possible. :nudge: :nudge:
Quote:
That's a typo which has already been fixed yesterday but not put in the archive uploaded here.

That ties in well with the analysis for nrapallo above. Can you try to remove all books from the internal storage and move them to the SM card? I suspect that the 1150 may be using the internal storage as swap space if it runs out of memory (which is more likely to happen in a large IMP file).

I'd advise you to do the same, as we need to verify the swap space theory too...
The (limited) 4 MB internal memory seems to be the culprit with reader resets.

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-03-2008 at 12:41 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #110
ashkulz
Addict

Quote:
A solution (for large images crashing the reader) could be for a plugin to 'convert' all images (over a certain size) to 16 or 256 colors, if possible. :nudge: :nudge:

The (limited) 4 MB internal memory seems to be the culprit with reader resets.
Do you think that this would help? Because in the end, I think that everything has to be rendered as a grayscale bitmap image (the screen display needs it) then it doesn't matter how many colors the input has, the output memory requirements may be the killing [pun intended] factor.

Some more things to try out: use imagemagick or Irfanview or <tool-of-choice> to actually do the conversion and see if it makes a difference. Also, does the format matter? i.e. GIF vs PNG vs JPG -- if you can convert all images to one format and see if using one results in less crashes i.e. less memory use, then it'd make more sense to develop a plugin that would resize the image to the 1150's display size and save in the least-memory-consuming format. I really wish I had that 1150 with me to test all this...
Advert
Old 09-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #111
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thumbs up New test .imp ebook for impserve...

I compiled the Mobileread Full List (with only .IMP ebooks) here at mobileread.com as of today (Sept 3, 2008) into ebook format.

Try and see if you can download it to your reader from here, If not, just download it to your computer and then upload it to your reader from there! then open the ebook on the reader and select a title therein.

This will surf to the upload thread with description and link to the actual .imp. Select the .imp link and it will be downloaded directly into your reader.

Now the fun begins, you have to find it under some category. Usually the 'General Interest' category is used so look there first.

This works great for me, as long as I strike out that part above, when using my EBW1150!

Have fun and give us some feedback on how well this works for you (state your reader and firmware if you experience problems)!

As usual, the ebook ending with _1200.imp is for the REB1200; the other .imp for the EBW1150.
Attached Files
File Type: imp mrbooks-09-03-08.imp (359.8 KB, 524 views)
File Type: imp mrbooks-09-03-08_1200.imp (350.4 KB, 535 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-03-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:02 PM   #112
nrapallo

Cousins, Adrienne: Kindle Bookmarks v0.11, Sep 3,2008

This ebook has been uploaded to the IMP ebook section to faciliate 'surfing the internet' using PDA Friendly links.

BTW, the best way to use the "back" button feature is to hit the 'last book' icon at the bottom left of your screen (not the directory icon!)

How timely! Just ignore any irrelevant links; and maybe "roll-your-own" and share...
Old 09-04-2008, 04:18 AM   #113
ashkulz
Addict

I've released version 0.4.2. Changes:
- correct a small typo when impserve reported itself as impmake while starting up
- changes for creating a standalone windows version via py2exe

Please note that you will require to install eBook Publisher seperately for using impmake, which hasn't been bundled. Thanks to nrapallo for the suggestion to create a windows-only version, which would be more helpful for people to get it up and running.

Last edited by ashkulz; 09-04-2008 at 04:31 AM. Reason: correct typo
Old 09-04-2008, 08:36 AM   #114
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I have a suggestion. At some point are you going to add file conversion to impserve? Given that it is running on a computer, we do have the processing cycles to spare.

My suggestion is that you prepare for the new feature by having impserve download incompatible files (like ZIP and PRC) to the content folder.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:37 AM   #115
ashkulz
Addict

Quote:
I have a suggestion. At some point are you going to add file conversion to impserve? Given that it is running on a computer, we do have the processing cycles to spare.

My suggestion is that you prepare for the new feature by having impserve download incompatible files (like ZIP and PRC) to the content folder.
I'm open to suggestions on how this feature should work, and what exactly is it that is wanted. To be honest, I'd prefer that most of features like this should be done as plugins, which is why I added a plugin framework for impserve. If how to do such a plugin is not clear, I'm attaching a plugin which uses a 'hypothetical' command prc2imp to do the job.

Code:
# WARNING: this is untested code that I cooked up in 5 minutes. Take it only as an example!
import impserve
import os, subprocess

class PrcConverter(impserve.ProxyResponse):
    def get_response(self, url, headers, data):
        if not 'application/x-palm-prc' in headers['Content-Type']:
            return headers, data

open('input.prc', 'w').write(data)

# assuming a command prc2imp exists
	if not subprocess.call(['prc2imp', 'input.prc', '-o', 'output.imp']) or not os.path.isfile('output.imp'):
            return headers, data

headers['Content-Type'] = 'application/x-softbook'
        data = open('output.imp').read()
        os.remove('input.prc')
        os.remove('output.imp')
        return headers, data
The only important parts are the 'Content-Type' part, which is what the server is returning as Content-Type. If you expect the server to get it wrong, add a file called mime.types in the impserve directory and add the following to it:
Code:
application/x-palm-prc   prc pdb
The other important part is where you do your conversion: here it is done via an external process (as mentioned earlier). Obviously, you'd have more code here (metadata extraction, error handling, etc) but requests like these should be handled as plugins, as some people may want them and some don't.

Last edited by ashkulz; 09-04-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #116
nrapallo

Quote:
... uses a 'hypothetical' command prc2imp to do the job.
Thanks for this headstart! A plugin it be, then.

Oh, now you KNOW that this command will be 'Mobi2IMP (dos version)'; the GUI version would just interfer too much with the flow.

OK, just to remember where my Beginner's Guide to Python is... oh, right here on my REB1200...
Old 09-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #117
nrapallo

Quote:
I've released version 0.4.2. Changes:
- correct a small typo when impserve reported itself as impmake while starting up
- changes for creating a standalone windows version via py2exe

Please note that you will require to install eBook Publisher seperately for using impmake, which hasn't been bundled. Thanks to nrapallo for the suggestion to create a windows-only version, which would be more helpful for people to get it up and running.
Another suggestion would be to include a 'standard' content startup page (index.html).

Oh, let me see, I should have one lying around here somewhere... oh, here it is!

It's the Impserve startup page (MobileRead edition)! Just extract index.html in the below content.zip and place it in your 'content' directory.

While you are at it, use the included impserve-start.bat to startup the program. It belongs in the same directory where impserve.exe resides! This assumes you are using the windows (win32) executables!

Also, useful posts to review once you start using impserve:
AdjustSmallestFont.py First user-supplied plugin (forces smallest font) for impserve...

mrbooks-09-03-08.imp test .imp ebook for impserve direct .imp downloading...

Cousins, Adrienne: Kindle Bookmarks v0.11, Sep 3,2008 .imp ebook with PDA-friendly links...
Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip content.zip (1.3 KB, 506 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-04-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:55 PM   #118
ashkulz
Addict

Quote:
Another suggestion would be to include a 'standard' content startup page (index.html).

Oh, let me see, I should have one lying around here somewhere... oh, here it is!
I prefer not to provide a content page provided by default, as otherwise upgrades are very simple: just unzip over the existing installation and it works. Otherwise care would have to be taken by the user to NOT overwrite any files, which is not a good thing and if missed by someone would lead to their losing the changes they made However, I do like the idea of providing a seperate "content" package which provides this: it would be clear to most people that using it might overwrite any customizations they made.

EDIT: add a link to your post in the first post.

Last edited by ashkulz; 09-04-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #119
nrapallo

Ashish:

I agree; choice to install content is better than no content...

Also, I tried your PrcConverter.py, but I got a message on startup that it failed to load. Any ideas why that would happen. I ran the script on its own to see if there were any syntax errors but only got the message that impserve wasn't defined.

I know you are away for a bit, but does anything appear wrong with this:
Code:
# v0.1 - Inital plugin idea by ashkulz; Adapted by nrapallo (Sept 2008)
import impserve
import os, subprocess

class PrcConverter(impserve.ProxyResponse):
    def get_response(self, url, headers, data):
        if not 'prc' in headers['Content-Type']:
            return headers, data

open('input.prc', 'wb').write(data)

# using a command to convert .prc to .imp 'on the fly'... copied "C:\Program Files\Mobi2IMP\bin\Mobi2IMP.exe" to impserve directory
        if not subprocess.call(['Mobi2IMP', '--cover', '--o', 'output', 'input.prc']) or not os.path.isfile('output.imp'):
            return headers, data

headers['Content-Type'] = 'application/x-softbook'
        data = open('output.imp', 'rb').read()
        os.remove('input.prc')
        os.remove('output.imp')

return headers, data
I got this message when impserve was launched:
Code:
Loaded plugin: AdjustHtml.py
Loaded plugin: AdjustQueryString.py
The following plugins failed to load: PrcConverter.py
impserve 0.4.2: starting server on 127.0.0.1:9090
Old 09-05-2008, 12:04 AM   #120
ashkulz
Addict

Quote:
Ashish:

I agree; choice to install content is better than no content...

Also, I tried your PrcConverter.py, but I got a message on startup that it failed to load. Any ideas why that would happen. I ran the script on its own to see if there were any syntax errors but only got the message that impserve wasn't defined.
Works for me: try downloading the attachment I've done here.
Code:
ashish@hunger:~/sandbox/ebookutils/impserve$ python run.py 
Loaded plugin: AdjustHtml.py
Loaded plugin: AdjustQueryString.py
Loaded plugin: PrcConverter.py
impserve 0.4.2-dev: starting server on 0.0.0.0:9090
Attached Files
File Type: txt PrcConverter.py.txt (829 Bytes, 481 views)