Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Torgut
Torgut began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and Kobo Touch
Kobo Touch - HTML file question

Dear Friends,

Yesterday, my second Kindle 3 bricked. Two bricked Kindles in less than two years, and now it's out of warranty. So I am considering other options and found out about Kobo, which is for direct sale in my country (Portugal). Unfortunately only the Touch model is available, although I might buy a Glo on eBay. Now, I have a question about a feature which I consider important:

Imagine I am reading an article online, let's say, a Wikipepdia article. Is it possible to save as Web Page - HTML, and transfer it to the Kobo so I can read later? As a constant traveler this would be important, as I do loads of pre-research about the places I visit while traveling. Kindle wouldn't allow this, although it has a web browser.
Torgut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
shouled
shouled began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
This might help you: http://dotepub.com/

You can convert the web page to ePub and transfer it to you Kobo. I do that.

Salut!
shouled is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Torgut
Torgut began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and Kobo Touch
That would be good for occasional use. But to deal with dozens of HTML pages it's too much of an effort, unfortunately.
Torgut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you mean save a web page from the browser on the Kobo itself, to the Kobo the answer would be no.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
dassie
dassie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dassie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dassie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
You can do this with Instapaper and Calibre.
dassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
I routinely sideload pure HTML drafts of the book I'm writing to my Glo. The Glo reads and displays them very well, but the process lacks a few bells and whistles. For example, the Kobo usually displays a fixed page count for EPUB files, based on Adobe's algorithm, if I recall correctly. However, Kobo's HTML page counts depend on how big the fonts are, how wide the margins, and so on. (This is a bit of a letdown when you're trying to estimate progress on a manuscript, as you might imagine.)
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote