Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 05:27 AM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Unsuccessful ebook purchase, how to delete from B&N Library?

I have a number of ebooks which I purchased without using alwaysvpn and the orders were cancelled (I'm not in US). I did it on purpose just for trying about geographical restriction; now I don't do it any more 8-(

The problem is those ebooks are still in my B&N Library, though cannot download, which also show in my Nook library as grey-out items; very annoying!

Is there any way to get rid of them, or at least make them disappear from my Nook? Archiving also did not solve.

Last edited by bthoven; 02-22-2010 at 06:13 AM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
droople
Connoisseur
droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook,Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color
I have the same question.
droople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:22 AM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
I have a number of ebooks which I purchased without using alwaysvpn and the orders were cancelled (I'm not in US). I did it on purpose just for trying about geographical restriction; now I don't do it any more 8-(

The problem is those ebooks are still in my B&N Library, though cannot download, which also show in my Nook library as grey-out items; very annoying!

Is there any way to get rid of them, or at least make them disappear from my Nook? Archiving also did not solve.
I had the same problem. I noticed yesterday that the cancelled books have disappeared. I assume that after some time the cancelled books are removed from your library.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I think you need to ask the B&N folks.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Not sure if this applies to canceled books, but you can log into your B&N account online and delete books from there.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
I've got the same problem.
I can't delete the respective title from my account.
Purchase has failed. But I can't repeat the purchase, to kind of "overwrite" the failed one.
The only solution I found, is to hide the title. On nook, you can configure to only show the active title (hide/unhide). At least on nook, the failed title isn't visible anymore.
I've asked B&N support to delete the failed purchase from my account, no reaction (4 days) so far.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-22-2010 at 08:45 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post

You can archive them in your B&N library or via Internet Explorer.
Then you can hide/unhide inactive (archived) titles on nook.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRunner View Post
Not sure if this applies to canceled books, but you can log into your B&N account online and delete books from there.
Unfortunately, doesn't apply for failed purchases. And you can't repeat the failed purchase to "overwrite" it.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
I had the same problem. I noticed yesterday that the cancelled books have disappeared. I assume that after some time the cancelled books are removed from your library.
So far, cancelled books only have disappeared from my account, if I've re-purchased the very same book. Then the failed purchase is overwritten by the new purchase.
Has been working for books, but didn't work for a newspaper.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #10
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Not sure if I remember it correctly, but if you go into your account, scroll down to "my library" you can then delete previously purchased books from your library. At least I've done it before.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
Not sure if I remember it correctly, but if you go into your account, scroll down to "my library" you can then delete previously purchased books from your library. At least I've done it before.
Unfortunately, you can't do that for failed purchases. They're not accessible, deleteable or downloadable. Really annoying. B&N support isn't helping, their staff has no idea about that specific issue.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:08 PM   #12
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Weird, I've had some of those back when you couldn't buy anything from Canada, but I was able to clear them out one way or another. Maybe they just disappear themselves over time.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:44 AM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
Weird, I've had some of those back when you couldn't buy anything from Canada, but I was able to clear them out one way or another. Maybe they just disappear themselves over time.
I successfully have "overwritten" failed book purchases. Buying the very same book, that failed for the first time. Then the failed attempt disappears. But I can't do that for newspapers/magazines. Within the series, the failed issue is "greyed out". I can't access it, thus can't delete it. I can archive it though and hide it on nook. I've canceled the respective newspaper, maybe it disappears (over time)?
Old 02-28-2010, 12:40 PM   #14
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Does buying new copies mean what I think it does?

Because that is a serious flaw for the end user, but a plus for the company.

Imagine..buying a book and having it not download, so you have to buy it again. A $10 book now costs $20+

Then again, it's the same nonsense apple has been using for years with the itunes store.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #15
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Does buying new copies mean what I think it does?

Because that is a serious flaw for the end user, but a plus for the company.

Imagine..buying a book and having it not download, so you have to buy it again. A $10 book now costs $20+

Then again, it's the same nonsense apple has been using for years with the itunes store.
You don't pay double.
The first purchase fails because of forgetting VPN. No bill, no book.
You repeat the purchase, this time with VPN. This time you get billed.

The flaw in B&N's system is, that the failed attempt shows in your library. On nook, you see "greyed out" entries of those failed attempts. You can't delete them, like you can do with the other (working) purchases, as they're not accessible. You only can archive them and hide archived items on nook. But that's just a temporary solution, you wouldn't want to have "defective" titles in your archive.
B&N is not helping at all, their support doesn't have an idea about this flaw. They keep suggesting to delete the titles - which is NOT possible.
If you repeat the purchase, you "overwrite" the defective one. For books, that's working. Not for magazines/newspapers though, it mixes up the issues.