Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
ecccoman
ecccoman began at the beginning.

Device: sony ebook reader
Maximum Size of SD card

I seem to recall that there is a maximum size of SD card that can be used in the 500 model. 1 Gig? 2 Gigs?

Thanks
ecccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It can recognize some 4GB cards but you won't be able to use more than 2GB of it.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
2GB, generally speaking.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
KorrMuraan
Winning at life
KorrMuraan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
For 505 it's 2GB SD or 8GB Sony
KorrMuraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorrMuraan View Post
For 505 it's 2GB SD or 8GB Sony
No, the 8GB is for a memory stick. The questioner is asking about SD cards. An 8GB SD card will not work in the Reader.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, the 8GB is for a memory stick. The questioner is asking about SD cards. An 8GB SD card will not work in the Reader.
I guess what he meant by "8GB Sony" is 8GB memory stick
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

True, but it's best to be clear about these things. Wouldn't want anyone to buy an 8GB SDHC card (they aren't cheap!) in the expectation that it'll work with the Reader.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:43 AM   #8
chesterchen
chesterchen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
any idea the maximum size for memory cards for the sony 700 series?
chesterchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:00 AM   #9
xanlexian
Connoisseur
xanlexian began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 / Nook GL / Kindle 3
Um, I've plugged in a Sandisk Ultra-II 8 gig SD card and used it with the PRSCustomizer software without any issue.

This was before I found my shoebox chock full of 32meg SD cards.

I've never used an SD (or MemoryStick) card in the reader except for the sole exception of PRSCustomizer.

**EDIT** -- the 8gig was freshly formatted (FAT32, of course) and the PRSCustomizer files were the ONLY thing on that card.
xanlexian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:04 AM   #10
xanlexian
Connoisseur
xanlexian began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 / Nook GL / Kindle 3
Quote:
True, but it's best to be clear about these things. Wouldn't want anyone to buy an 8GB SDHC card (they aren't cheap!) in the expectation that it'll work with the Reader.
That 8gig card in my previous comment -- was purchased at my local MicroCenter for $20 (no rebates, no coupons -- cash register price)

Picked up a couple of regular 2 gig SD cards for my Axim X50v for $5 each. Also picked up a 2gig USB thumbdrive for $5 and a 16gig one for $30ish for the Playstation 2.

SD cards ARE cheap.

I did spend $35 for an 8gig CF card for the Axim, though.
xanlexian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:31 AM   #11
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Do you mean the Reader 500? Because I have a 8 gig mem stick and an 8 gig SD c ard in my 505 and both work fine.

Getting it to read my 16 gig card hasn't been too successful yet tho.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:33 AM   #12
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Mine does. Patriot Memory 8G class 6.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:25 AM   #13
carpii
Enthusiast
carpii began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad or Sony
I have a 32G SDCard in my 505.

The Sony seems to recognise it fine, although I have no idea whether it will let me use > 2G yet. I dont think Ive even used 1G of storage on it
carpii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #14
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpii View Post
I have a 32G SDCard in my 505.

The Sony seems to recognise it fine, although I have no idea whether it will let me use > 2G yet. I dont think Ive even used 1G of storage on it
The 505's SD slot is SDHC. Firmware >= 1.1 recognize it as such. That being said, I'm using less than a 1Gb of my 8Gb card.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote