Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 03:52 AM   #1
kinged
kinged began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-700
Scan JPEG as notes

Hi, I just ordered Sony 700 after waiting for kindle 2 specification. I decided sony 700 will work better for me due to size, ability to highlight and unlimited storage. I plan to import a lot of word documents for study. I am wondering if it is possible to scan handwritten notes as jpegs? How does sony handle these files? Thank you in advance.
kinged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
Hi kinged, welcome to the forum
As far as I am aware the 700 handles jpegs just fine, Hussein did a post on this a while back:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33546
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinged View Post
Hi, I just ordered Sony 700 after waiting for kindle 2 specification. I decided sony 700 will work better for me due to size, ability to highlight and unlimited storage. I plan to import a lot of word documents for study. I am wondering if it is possible to scan handwritten notes as jpegs? How does sony handle these files? Thank you in advance.
If scanning handwriting, then I would enhance / optimize your scan to
proper formatting thus avoiding constant re-zooming and also darken
your scan output since pen on paper might not display as good as text.

Another alternative is to OCR your notes (if possible) and then print all
to a PDF file as this might be a better option for you.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
kinged
kinged began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-700
Thanks for the help.

I often uses arrows and flow chart with my handwritten notes. So OCR probably won't work.

How does Sony organize JPEG?. Can one have multiple folders with JPEGs in them?
kinged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
alrumich
Enthusiast
alrumich doesn't litteralrumich doesn't litter

Device: PRS-700, iPod Touch, Samsung Q1U, HP Pavilion tx2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinged View Post
Thanks for the help.

I often uses arrows and flow chart with my handwritten notes. So OCR probably won't work.

How does Sony organize JPEG?. Can one have multiple folders with JPEGs in them?
You can make "a comic book" of them - simply zip them into one archive (rar or zip), change extension from .rar/.zip to .cbr and them you can convert it to .lfr with calibre and read easily on your 700. Calibre will automatically decrease the size of your JPEGs so that they fir better and will adjust contrast so that it would be more legible. I did this recently with some comic book (just to test how it works) and I was pleased with the results
alrumich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Yep I've used alrumich approach if the image count is small. I also convert jpg/png/tiff to PDF so that I can add a TOC which makes navigating the eBook much easier.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
double post
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote