Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 06-14-2007, 04:10 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
E-reader with E Ink Vizplex launched: NUUT NP-601

We received word (thanks Eric!) of a new e-reader device launched in South Korea today. Take the hardware case of the STAReBOOK and equip it with the latest technology E Ink currently has to offer, and what you get is the NUUT eBook Reader. And while it's not the size of its screen that is going to impress your friends (6-inch is de facto standard today), it's most likely to be the doubled refresh speed and the 20 percent boost in brightness compared to previous E Ink readers.

The Vizplex Imaging Film technology was only recently introduced by E Ink.

The specs:
  • Weight: 178g
  • Screen: E Ink Vizplex (6-inch / 168dpi / 600x800 pixels)
  • CPU: ARM-compatible 32bit RISC CPU (250Mhz) operated at 200MHz
  • Memory: 8MB (Boot ROM) + 32MB (SDRAM) + 512MB (RAM)
  • Battery: Li-ion (one charge for 7'500 pages)
  • Expansion Slots: SD Card
  • Other Interfaces: USB 2.0, headphone

Street price will be around US$300.

If you can figure out which e-books format the NUUT supports, feel free to comment here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nuut1.JPG
Views:	2277
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	3960   Click image for larger version

Name:	nuut2.JPG
Views:	2080
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	3961   Click image for larger version

Name:	nuut3.JPG
Views:	1842
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	3962   Click image for larger version

Name:	nuut4.JPG
Views:	2111
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	3963   Click image for larger version

Name:	nuut5.JPG
Views:	1987
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	3964   Click image for larger version

Name:	nuut6.JPG
Views:	1828
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	3965   Click image for larger version

Name:	nuut7.JPG
Views:	1937
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	3966   Click image for larger version

Name:	nuut8.JPG
Views:	1961
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	3967   Click image for larger version

Name:	nuut9.JPG
Views:	1865
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	3968   Click image for larger version

Name:	nuut10.JPG
Views:	2122
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	3969   Click image for larger version

Name:	nuut11.JPG
Views:	1885
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	3970   Click image for larger version

Name:	nuut12.JPG
Views:	1958
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	3971   Click image for larger version

Name:	nuut13.JPG
Views:	2223
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	3972  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:34 AM   #2
kapoira
Connoisseur
kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: i62HD + T68
this 20% of brightnesss i suposse it's compared to the sony reader or the STAREBOOK

and about the iliad¿?¿? the same brightness, less , more ?¿?¿?

anybody
kapoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:02 AM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
The Bookeen reader will most likely use Vizplex too (that's what PVI will be producing from now on).
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:06 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
The Bookeen reader will most likely use Vizplex too (that's what PVI will be producing from now on).
That's great news, Hadrien. Makes me wonder when Sony is going to upgrade the production line of the Reader to build on Vizplex.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:14 AM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Well... if PVI still makes the panels for Sony, and if Hadrien is right in that they will only produce with Vizplex technology from now on, then we can suspect future Sony Readers to feature that technology as well.

So, is it time to sell my Reader?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #6
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
great news...another ereader!

New eink technology is also cool...the interesting thing now would be when/how this thing will be sold in US and Europe...

The price seems pretty attractive in comparison...but it's still rather high. Format support should be the interesting part here...if it can offer a broad base of open formats and maybe mobipocket as DRM then it should sell very well.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I'm not an expert on hardware issues at all (there's more than enough work with software), but from what a few people in the industry told me, the screen itself is basically the same, but the controller is different.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:03 AM   #8
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
I'm not an expert on hardware issues at all (there's more than enough work with software), but from what a few people in the industry told me, the screen itself is basically the same, but the controller is different.
Vizplex also includes an enhanced imaging film compared to previous E Ink technology.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:18 PM   #9
tofuman
Enthusiast
tofuman began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad/ipaq3970
One of the Korean FAQ pages says :

NUUT supports commercial XML type e-books and TXT and mp3. Due to the small display size, PDF support is not being considered.

another page says :

XML is the de facto standard in Korean e-book market
tofuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:20 PM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Apprently LVD has a sample unit. Cyrillic doesn't look very nice.
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...?p=85082#85082
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:08 PM   #11
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Looks exactly like the stuff my STAReBOOK likes to do with english/german text...^^

actually...it looks exactly like the original STAReBOOK firmware...look at the little "paper-imitation" corners and everything...I think they just added a couple of fonts to the STAReBOOK...maybe it's just a .stk file being displayed?
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:28 AM   #12
jindor
jindor began at the beginning.

Device: Librie/SIMPad SL4
Great News

Another steady step towards the ideal ebook... more so because it is now on sale in South Korea where I happen to live : ) But I would not sell my Librie off and get a NUUT for a replacement yet. Having used Librie for more than two years, now I know what exactly I expect from the ebook.

1) Despite the improvement of the refresh speed (allegedly up to double), I'm not convinced whether it would be as good as I want.

2) Maybe it's just me but some sort of SDK available for add-on development is a must from the experience with Librie. Andrew Jennings' simplereader on Librie plus SDK provided by Sony opened lots of doors to the support of popular formats which I believe are still ongoing. DRM-protected contents and a simple ASCII file viewer won't be enough.
jindor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:47 AM   #13
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
I just read an article linked on the Teleread blog. According to 20minutes.fr, the NUUT reader will be only $280. If that's the case, I can only hope that prices for the readers continue to drop and encourage hesitant buyers.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:09 AM   #14
TadW
Uebermensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikou View Post
I just read an article linked on the Teleread blog. According to 20minutes.fr, the NUUT reader will be only $280. If that's the case, I can only hope that prices for the readers continue to drop and encourage hesitant buyers.
Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Content availability is a particularly attractive aspect of NUUT. As of today, over 300.000 volumes of e-books can be read on NUUT. That number is many times the largest number of e-book volumes available for any single e-book device previously.
300k volumes of e-books? And where do they get them from?
Old 06-17-2007, 09:15 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are you sure that 300,000 ebooks is more then the number of ebooks in Mobipocket format? The iLiad does support Mobipocket.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote