Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
China Telecom rolls out Tianyibook e-reader to compete against Kindle PW

Only two months after the Kindle Paperwhite was officially released to Chinese territory, another device, the Tianyibook e-reader, is up for grabs. At 849 yuan (~$140), it is priced exactly as the Kindle. The advantage of the Tianyibook (also called Skytel e-reader), so we were told, is the number of available e-books (Amazon: 40,000 versus Tianyi: 300,000) and the lower average cost per e-book.

Specifications:
  • Display: 6" E Ink capacitive touch, 16 grey levels
  • Resolution: 600x800
  • RAM: 256B
  • Storage: 4GB (expandable with Micro SD)
  • CPU: 600MHz
  • Formats: epub, pdf, fb2, oeb, html, txt, ztxt, tcr, prc, pdb, chm, rtf, mobi
  • Battery: 1700mAh
  • Connectivity: WiFi
  • Dimensions: 161x112x8.3mm
  • Weight: 190g
  • Prize: CNY 849 (~US $140)

[via cctime.com (Chinese)]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	[B@1abe7d5c-1374822820884.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	109302   Click image for larger version

Name:	[B@6b519211-1374822908235.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	109303   Click image for larger version

Name:	[B@44612eed-1374822850791.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	109304  

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-12-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I wonder how much their WiFi connection will be limited though. China isn't known for being the most open to a lot of websites.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
Dee Q
Born Yesterday
Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 2 & 4
I don't know what you guys over there think about China's products. Here in my country, their credibility and reliability are pretty much in question.
Dee Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
tedpeer
Enthusiast
tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: nook, iOs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Q View Post
I don't know what you guys over there think about China's products. Here in my country, their credibility and reliability are pretty much in question.
Did you mean made in? Many electronic devices are made in china. iPad. Kindle.
tedpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I am sure he means "designed in China" by a local company. Not OEM products.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I am sure he means "designed in China" by a local company. Not OEM products.
Reminds me of the scene in Back to the Future pt. I where the time machine has broken down back in the 50's and Dr. Brown comments that it isn't any wonder it did so since the electronics are marked "Made in Japan." Of course back then I understand a lot of things weren't made right in Japan. Even wind up toys seemed to have their springs put in backwards. Maybe China today is where Japan was back then. I don't know. I have heard they do have problems with things like dumping the chemicals used to make circuit boards right in the the sewer system. Or at least they have in the past. I have no idea where the parts for things like the Kindle are actually made.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #7
manfred63
Connoisseur
manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I think it's cooler if China Telekom analyses what I'm reading rather than Amazon and the NSA.
manfred63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:46 AM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Reminds me of the scene in Back to the Future pt. I where the time machine has broken down back in the 50's and Dr. Brown comments that it isn't any wonder it did so since the electronics are marked "Made in Japan." Of course back then I understand a lot of things weren't made right in Japan. Even wind up toys seemed to have their springs put in backwards. Maybe China today is where Japan was back then. I don't know. I have heard they do have problems with things like dumping the chemicals used to make circuit boards right in the the sewer system. Or at least they have in the past. I have no idea where the parts for things like the Kindle are actually made.
The difference between Japan back then and China now is the mentality. In Japan they wanted to "do it right 100%". In China they want to do it "just good enough". Sloppy design and quality control are the result. (yes, environmental problems are another issue).

You must have read about the milk powder shortages everywhere. Problems like that exist because even Chinese consumers don't trust Chinese brands. This is just one example. And, given my long experience in China, neither do I.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:00 AM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfred63 View Post
I think it's cooler if China Telekom analyses what I'm reading rather than Amazon and the NSA.
That is not something you should joke about. Obviously we all would prefer it if nobody analyzes what we are reading but given the choice between the NSA and Chinese intelligence...
Old 08-13-2013, 01:03 AM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
The difference between Japan back then and China now is the mentality. In Japan they wanted to "do it right 100%". In China they want to do it "just good enough". Sloppy design and quality control are the result. (yes, environmental problems are another issue).

You must have read about the milk powder shortages everywhere. Problems like that exist because even Chinese consumers don't trust Chinese brands. This is just one example. And, given my long experience in China, neither do I.
I read somewhere that it was General MacArthur who set the Japanese on the road to quality.

I understand that China is rather inclined to ignore the effects of lead and other things in products. That is why many plastic containers such as those used in Jello and pudding cups cannot be recycled. What I can't understand is why North American and possibly European countries are importing and using these products. Or why they are allowed to by our governments. Even children's toys that they may chew on can contain lead and are sold in the dollar stores.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:45 AM   #11
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I wonder how much their WiFi connection will be limited though. China isn't known for being the most open to a lot of websites.
That would affect any other ereader too, as well as all other "internet enabled" devices.

Last edited by jlynton; 08-13-2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typo
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #12
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
That is not something you should joke about. Obviously we all would prefer it if nobody analyzes what we are reading but given the choice between the NSA and Chinese intelligence...
What's really the difference, though? It's an invasion of privacy either way, and I wouldn't feel more comfortable if it's an American secret service spying on me instead of a Chinese one. (I live in neither country.) Not that I believe that anyone cares what we read, and presumably the Chinese reader will only allow access to approved books.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I choose neither. The US is very paranoid in the wake of 9/11 and has gone off the deep end. I'll leave it there, since this is easily a political topic and best discussed elsewhere.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #14
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I read somewhere that it was General MacArthur who set the Japanese on the road to quality.
Hardly.

The Japanese have always been sticklers for quality, probably more so than anybody. However, no nation can transition from being an insular, largely traditional, war-ravaged society to a mass-producer/exporter of high quality goods overnight. Japan accomplished that shift in an incredibly short time and if any American can be credited with helping them, it was professor W. Edwards Deming.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan diVega View Post
Japan accomplished that shift in an incredibly short time and if any American can be credited with helping them, it was professor W. Edwards Deming.
Never knew that. Learned something new. Thanks for the info.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote