Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
jonahemery
jonahemery began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Unhappy Canadian Kindles: Warning, Shoddy Replacement Policy

I bought my Kindle in September. I've actually loved the product but have run into a huge snag that other Canadians should know about.

My Kindle developed a slight crack, through honestly no fault of my own. While they will replace it for free they charge Canadians for the full cost of the replacement, then refund it when it arrives.

I work for a charity and had to save up for a Kindle as it is. It's pretty difficult for me to do this. So bummed out.

A warning to Canadian Kindlers - you may have to shell out. At least with Kobo's you can get it replaced at no initial cost.

Dear Amazon, throw a poor brother a bone.
jonahemery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Normally you just have to send the old kindle back within 30 days. Maybe they don't regard the crack as a fault with the kindle but as the result of a knock etc. In which case you have to pay upfront. I dont know why you think this is an issue only for Canadians.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
jonahemery
jonahemery began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Because the rep told me. The charge is up front for any Kindle user outside the US. This includes Canada. Inside the US this is not the case.
jonahemery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:09 AM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I am in Australia and I didn't have to pay unless I didn't send the broken kindle back within 30 days.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:37 AM   #5
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
jonahemery is right, outside of the US you have to pay upfront for the replacement kindle, although to be fair to Amazon they do refund you pretty quickly, certainly within a day or two, which doesn't really help much if you don't have the funds to cover it I suspect that the only reason that Pushka didn't have to pay upfront is because Amazon is represented in Australia. I agree it's not fair but that's the price we have to pay for living in third world countries like South Africa & Canada, Oh, OK Canada is not really third world I know .
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 02:21 AM   #6
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinafrica View Post
jonahemery is right, outside of the US you have to pay upfront for the replacement kindle, although to be fair to Amazon they do refund you pretty quickly, certainly within a day or two, which doesn't really help much if you don't have the funds to cover it I suspect that the only reason that Pushka didn't have to pay upfront is because Amazon is represented in Australia. I agree it's not fair but that's the price we have to pay for living in third world countries like South Africa & Canada, Oh, OK Canada is not really third world I know .
I suggest you contact Kindle CS again. Amazon is not represented in Australia.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:48 AM   #7
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I suggest you contact Kindle CS again. Amazon is not represented in Australia.
Pushka, Let me rephrase, outside of the US in some countries you definitely have to pay upfront for the replacement kindle, I know I have personal experience of this and they will not entertain any other scenario, despite me having phoned Amazon CS on a number of occasions.

My assumption that Amazon are represented in Australia was based on previous posts from Aussies, perhaps Amazon have some kind of reciprocal arrangement with Aussie Customs or a local depot?
Old 12-31-2010, 03:56 AM   #8
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Had to have my September K3 replaced as well. Called Kindle CS from Denmark friday 3 dec., received new K3 monday 6 dec, my credit card was charged/refunded on the 7th. dec. So in my case I was never really out of any money. That would only happen if the defective K3 got lost as far as I see. You even get a refund for your shipping costs. Must admit I was impressed by the process. At first I thought it a bit complicated, but it worked fine for me.
Happy new year,
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:08 AM   #9
RexGalore
Connoisseur
RexGalore doesn't litterRexGalore doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
I had about the same experience as pchrist7.
I live in Sweden and had to "pay" for the Kindle replacement and also for the shipping of the old one back to the states. Both sums were refunded within a day I think. Yes, suck if you don't have any money at all...

This is probably because they don't have any pre-made deals with UPS for countries all over the world. For America you just get a sticker to place on the return Kindle.
RexGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
It could be a customs issue or lack of local warehouse or ... I do not think such decisions are made lightly. jonahemery, PM me with your contact info, I want to help you out with this issue. You do work at a charity and I have tons of respect for that. You can return the funds when Amazon refunds you.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:25 AM   #11
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
A LOT of companies do this, even in the US. It is typically called "Advanced RMA". Most of the time they place a "hold" on your credit card account but do not actually charge it until it reaches that timeframe if they did not received the item, usually 30 days later.

There may be other Canadian government requirements that allow (or possibly force) companies to actually charge the money for it, and then refund afterward, but I am not sure if that is the case.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:02 PM   #12
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Not with Amazon but with Jabra (defective bluetooth headset) and Seagate (defective usb 1 tetra drive) where I had to give them credit card info to get the replacement. I was refunded when they received the defective unit back. It was a "crossing shipping" scheme. With seagate, I was offered the choice of just shipping back the defective and then they would ship the new one.

Maybe you could ship the defective to Amazon first and when the receive it, they would ship the new one to you??? A slower process but potentially less economically disadvantageous.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
Paulinafrica
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
It could be a customs issue or lack of local warehouse or ... I do not think such decisions are made lightly. jonahemery, PM me with your contact info, I want to help you out with this issue. You do work at a charity and I have tons of respect for that. You can return the funds when Amazon refunds you.
Osnova, kudos to you for your offer to assist jonahemery I dof my virtual hat to you. Paul
Old 12-31-2010, 04:57 PM   #14
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinafrica View Post
Pushka, Let me rephrase, outside of the US in some countries.
My assumption that Amazon are represented in Australia was based on previous posts from Aussies, perhaps Amazon have some kind of reciprocal arrangement with Aussie Customs or a local depot?
We are lucky in that we pay no duty on anything under $1000. And there is no local depot. Anything to do with the kindle we have to source through Amazon USA. But it does seem as if Australians don't get charged for the replacement as I have never heard anyone here being charged for the replacement kindle prior to sending the old one back. But I don't see why they have given us this exception. Maybe they like us?

Perhaps a receipt of payment needs to accompany anything being imported in some countries, in which case Amazon is just doing what they have to do in order to get the replacement to you. And they cant issue a receipt or tax invoice unless a charge has actuallly occurred.

Last edited by Pushka; 12-31-2010 at 04:59 PM.

Tags
canada, kindle, kindle canada replacement