Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Got my new Paperwhite yesterday...

So far I haven't had any problems like what I've seen posted on the board. No discolored light spots, no problem keeping the correct time. My only problem has been getting used to how sensitive the touch screen is (and I imagine that will get better as I get used to the reader). I like how you can have your books as a list or the cover in the collections and of course the convenience of the built in light. It does feel a little bit heavier than my Kindle Keyboard but that might be because it is a bit smaller so the parts are in a smaller space.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #2
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yeah for no problems! I hope you like your new Kindle! I expect mine tomorrow. Happy reading!
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
So far I haven't had any problems like what I've seen posted on the board. No discolored light spots, no problem keeping the correct time. My only problem has been getting used to how sensitive the touch screen is (and I imagine that will get better as I get used to the reader). I like how you can have your books as a list or the cover in the collections and of course the convenience of the built in light. It does feel a little bit heavier than my Kindle Keyboard but that might be because it is a bit smaller so the parts are in a smaller space.
Congrats! I love mine! It's my sole reader. You can easily add your own fonts to the PW. See our font thread. It has lots of good information.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Glad you got an excellent one. It is such a great reader.

Blossom, how are you dealing with feelings of guilt (if any) b/c you are neglecting your other readers? I have two lovely Sony T1s, and they just look so gray after reading on the PW. Maybe in the summer I will like them better, when there is a lot more light.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I know what you mean about feelings of guilt - I feel like I'm abandoning my beloved K3.

Right now, i use the K3 for being away from home, and the PW for reading at home, until I get a good cover for the PW. I don't like the official cover from Amazon. but once the cover problem gets resolved, the k3 will probably go in the drawer with my Sony 350. Poor K3! At least it won't be lonely there, but still...
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm planning to keep my old K3 as well. That way I can have access to more books if I wish and I can read on one while the other charges if necessary. I really like how quick it is to find a given book and download it to the Paperwhite.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I don't like the official cover from Amazon.
What do you dislike about it, as a matter of interest? I think it's very good. Lightweight, but offers good protection.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
It has a metal flange about half way up the right side that hits my hand when I have the cover folded back for reading. My choice seems to be 1)to hold it so my hand is in an awkward position to avoid the flange, 2) just hold it left handed (which is also awkward) or 3) have that %$#^ flange hitting my hand and leaving marks and hurting.

I have one on the way from China - let's hope that one doesn't have the flange - I've forgotten which one I ordered, so i'll see when it gets here.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I have one from China which is very nice, but no magnetic closure, it has no metal flange. I am awaiting delivery from the same seller of a similar case, with magnetic closure, which does have a metal flange. I will report back when it arrives. I can compare it to the Amazon cover, which I also have.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Glad you got an excellent one. It is such a great reader.

Blossom, how are you dealing with feelings of guilt (if any) b/c you are neglecting your other readers? I have two lovely Sony T1s, and they just look so gray after reading on the PW. Maybe in the summer I will like them better, when there is a lot more light.
I see my K4B as a backup reader. My K4S is register to hubby's account. I am trying once again to get him to use it! The K3 is my travel reader because of the lighted case which protects so well and 3G featured.

I set them in front of me on my desk but yeah I do feel guilty but I can't go back to using them. The PW has spoiled me. I did use the KF the other day to watch Netflix. They now have One for the Money on there. (I think it's a pretty good movie even if it's not a great depiction of the books.)
Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
It has a metal flange about half way up the right side that hits my hand when I have the cover folded back for reading. My choice seems to be 1)to hold it so my hand is in an awkward position to avoid the flange, 2) just hold it left handed (which is also awkward) or 3) have that %$#^ flange hitting my hand and leaving marks and hurting.

I have one on the way from China - let's hope that one doesn't have the flange - I've forgotten which one I ordered, so i'll see when it gets here.
I don't fold back the cover to read with one hand. Of course I don't fold books either. I am anti spine crease.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't fold back the cover to read with one hand. Of course I don't fold books either. I am anti spine crease.
I don't use a cover when reading. I either hold the reader in my hand or use one of the Gibson holders that I ordered through Amazon when I got my original K3.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I don't use a cover when reading. I either hold the reader in my hand or use one of the Gibson holders that I ordered through Amazon when I got my original K3.
I have to have the Official cover with auto off and on feature. It's just so worth it and it protects really well. Best $23 I spent on a cover.

I like how nice it stands up with the cover. I can prop the PW on about anything. It just needs a little support.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Which batch number do you have?

[HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Device Info

It's under serial number. XXXX XZZZ XXXX XXXX, where ZZZ is your batch number.

Mine is 501 and I bought it as soon as it was released.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #15
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Congratulations crich70!!!
It' good to know that yours is not having those issues.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote