Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
PDF flip "ebook" - what's point?

so I'm looking at Mac apps and come across THIS app which creates HTML 5 "flip books." Ad says:
Quote:
This realistic page flipping effect will make your created HTML5 books more acceptable and fantastic.
Really?

Would the use of this be? Why would you want this as opposed to a "regular" PDF reader or annotation app?

Ideas?
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
If we had to comment on every silly app that appears in the App Store, the MobileRead forums would run out of server space. Every decent e-read app offers some kind of animation effect to turn pages, without being hampered by the drawbacks of PDF, or indeed HTML5. Although I dislike iBooks and the Kindle app, the flip-page effect is very nice in them. Ditto in Stanza.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Honestly, I just wondered if there was something I was missing..... I would not expect a "page turn" render in a pdf.... I thought perhaps I was missing a "new wave" or something...
Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reading PDFs is a pain in the **** in any case, and seeing a flip effect while turning pages in a PDF file won't mitigate the suffering for me.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
1611mac
eWanderer

I agree completely. I don't even consider a pdf an "eBook" even though is is called such. Sadly, I have to create a pdf for each ebook I do (pdf, ePub, and .mobi) because the publisher I work for has a lot of older customers who wouldn't know what to do with an ePub or .mobi if you handed it to them on a flash drive. Thus, in this particular market, pdf's outsell "real" eBooks as they all know what a "pdf" is. Sad......
Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
Honestly, I just wondered if there was something I was missing..... I would not expect a "page turn" render in a pdf.... I thought perhaps I was missing a "new wave" or something...
There are about dozen pdf or ebook readers in App Store with some kind of pdf page-curl animation.

I prefer SideBooks, it is free and probably offers the best animation for pdf's and comics at the moment, both horizontal(Left-Right or R-L) and vertical (Up-Down).

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/side...409777225?mt=8

Also free, PerfectReader 2 Lite:

https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/perf...436633759?mt=8

I'd like to find this kind of animation in some pdf or ebook reader though, that differs from animation in iBooks and its clones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VSpg...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK-Pm...layer_embedded

Last edited by markom; 01-16-2013 at 12:55 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

I think, markom, the Kindle app is pretty close to those YouTube videos, in its page flip animation.

At the same time, I can't imagine an e-reader feature that would be less important than this. Most e-readers out there -- including iBooks and the Kindle app -- lack the most fundamental features, in terms of functionality, that quality e-reader software should possess. In view of that, I couldn't care less about how exactly a page curls or doesn't curl when displayed in a flip animation.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
And for me, the page turn effect is so unimportant that I turn it off, where possible. Its an unnecessary "feature" which could be dumped in favour of other stuff.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Actually, I like the page flip animation (and have just requested it for Marvin). At the same time, I recognize it's non-essential, belonging to the "bells & whistles" category.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
mointer
mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
PDF to flip book

PDF to flip ebook is a new way of reading. People can read PDF as flip book.
You can use PDF flip book maker to realize it. Pdf to flip book tools allows people to convert PDF to flip book for MAC.
There are many similar tools as ncesoft, flippingbook, 3dissue, kvisoft.
I'm using kvisoft flip book maker.
mointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mointer View Post
PDF to flip ebook is a new way of reading. People can read PDF as flip book.
You can use PDF flip book maker to realize it. Pdf to flip book tools allows people to convert PDF to flip book for MAC.
There are many similar tools as ncesoft, flippingbook, 3dissue, kvisoft.
I'm using kvisoft flip book maker.
So, you ave to use software to make the PDF able to do "page flip" animation??

That pretty much takes out any of the old timers that don't know what to do with a file... and I would never waste my time with that. I wouldn't ever pay money for an ebook in PDF format anyway and those documents that I have to use for work are just for reference, not for fun. No need for bells & whistles on a reference.

But whatever floats your boat...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

PDF is not a suitable format for e-books, period. Adding "flip animation" to PDF won't change that a bit.