Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #16
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
With the Kobo Touch, I find it easier to hold without a cover. The cover is smoother than the Touch as the Touch has a nice quilted back. It is really comfortable, and shaped to fit in my hand better than a straight cover does... The Glo also has a quilted back, though with a larger pattern, if I understand correctly.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:44 AM   #17
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Of course, to make it easier to read one-handed, make the following: Using a headband as a base, attach a short angled stick to the front of it, and put a rubber thimble on the end. Bob head to turn page by pressing the thimble to the Touch.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Of course, to make it easier to read one-handed, make the following: Using a headband as a base, attach a short angled stick to the front of it, and put a rubber thimble on the end. Bob head to turn page by pressing the thimble to the Touch.
Photo please. While sitting on public transport
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #19
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #20
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Why do I always forget the simple solutions? LOL
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #21
bryanzs
Zealot
bryanzs doesn't litterbryanzs doesn't litter

Device: Nook HD+, Nook ST Glow, PocketBook 360, Nook Color
Quote:
Yes, you can read one handed, but it isn't as easy as it sounds.
<snip>
I'm also considering the Glo, and had a question on one handed reading and page turning (which I believe will be the same as is currently on the Touch).

According to the Kobo site, the page turning action on the Touch is now configurable in the latest firmware - but I can't find anything that describes exactly _how_much_ it can be configured. Can I specify upper-right touch for page forward, and upper-left for page back? Or vice versa? Or anywhere on the top half of the page for page forward, and anywhere on the bottom half for page back? Or anywhere on the right for page forward, and anywhere on the left of the page for page back? I've gotten so used to the configurable options in the various eReader applications (specifically CoolReader) that I wonder if I can adapt to more limited choices...

Thanks!

Last edited by bryanzs; 09-10-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Snipped quoted text to be more relevant
bryanzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If the options are as they are on the Touch then they are:
  • Screen in Thirds
    • tap on left, go back
    • tap on right, go forward
    • tap center, bring up menu
    • drag right to left on left third of screen, go forward
    • drag left to right on right third of screen, go back
  • 1/3 left, 2/3 right
    • tap on left, go back
    • tap on right, go forward
    • tap bottom center, bring up menu
    • drag right to left on left third of screen, go forward
    • drag left to right on right two thirds of screen, go back
  • 2/3 left, 1/3 right
    • tap on left, go forward
    • tap on right, go back
    • tap bottom center, bring up menu
    • drag right to left on left two thirds of screen, go back
    • drag left to right on right third of screen, go forward
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #23
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanzs View Post
I'm also considering the Glo, and had a question on one handed reading and page turning (which I believe will be the same as is currently on the Touch).

According to the Kobo site, the page turning action on the Touch is now configurable in the latest firmware - but I can't find anything that describes exactly _how_much_ it can be configured. Can I specify upper-right touch for page forward, and upper-left for page back? Or vice versa? Or anywhere on the top half of the page for page forward, and anywhere on the bottom half for page back? Or anywhere on the right for page forward, and anywhere on the left of the page for page back? I've gotten so used to the configurable options in the various eReader applications (specifically CoolReader) that I wonder if I can adapt to more limited choices...

Thanks!
Screenshots on the Kobo site suggest limited configurability. Basically here's the classic left-middle--bottom-right zones, a bigger left-bottom-right turn method (think Kindle Touch), and the reverse - the small zone being the 'previous page' option in the latter two, and the bottom bring the menu.

I'd suggest striking with CoolReader or Aldiko if you want more configurability.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #24
Gaffer
Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I often read one-handed; my approach is to hold the Touch ion my left hand, and then use a swipe from Right to Left with my thumb to turn the page. (Yes; I could reconfigure to have a tap on the left turn the page forward, but I find it easier to use a swipe).
I also read one handed often, but I use a tap on the right side to turn pages. When I'm holding the Touch in my left hand, I use my middle finger, and when I'm holding it in my right hand I use my thumb. I don't have huge hands, but I find it very easy to use the tabs with either hand.
Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #25
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
I am considering converting to the Kobo Glo from the Sony T1. Is it safe to assume that books I have purchased form Sony will work on it? I know I have heard of people buying Kobo books to use on Sony readers, so I presume that it should work the other way around as well, yes?
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #26
Gaffer
Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
I am considering converting to the Kobo Glo from the Sony T1. Is it safe to assume that books I have purchased form Sony will work on it? I know I have heard of people buying Kobo books to use on Sony readers, so I presume that it should work the other way around as well, yes?
Yes, you're undoubtedly using epub format on the Sony, and Kobo handles those just fine. The reader with compatibility issues is the Kindle - Amazon went with a proprietary format, mobi, which other readers can't use. (There is a third party freeware program, Calibre, which can conver between formats.)
Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #27
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Books bought from Sony may be in the Sony proprietary format, LRF.

calibre can convert them to EPUB for use on any reader but Kindle.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #28
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Books bought from Sony may be in the Sony proprietary format, LRF.

calibre can convert them to EPUB for use on any reader but Kindle.

Sony readers have not used LRF for years. Indeed, recent Sony models are not even capable of reading LRF files. All books sold form the Sony store are epubs now. I just wanted to make sure that Kobo and Sony use the same DRM. For example, Barnes and Noble books cannot be used on Sony readers even though the B&N books are epubs. I would welcome a comment from someone who has used books purchased from the Sony store on their Kobo reader successfully.

Thanks
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #29
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Sony uses Adobe Digital Edition ADE for their DRM books same as Kobo. You can authorize your Kobo under your ADE account then read your ADE books on your Kobo.

Kobo also has it's own Epub DRM version that is suppose to be newer Version of ADE that doesn't work with Sony reader.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #30
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
Barnes and Noble books cannot be used on Sony readers
Sure they can. Search for the ApprenticeAlf Blog for information on removal of DRM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote