Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-12-2011, 04:41 AM   #106
Steve_D
Steve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to beholdSteve_D is a splendid one to behold

Device: iPhone 3GS
There is only one author whose complete works I have thoroughly enjoyed time and time again, and that is Robert A. Heinlein.

I'm not a big science fiction fan - I find much of it derivative and cold - but Heinlein's work (more accurately defined as "speculative fiction" by the man himself) contained at its core a deep understanding of humanity and the human condition, communicated by some of the most interesting, varied and convincing characters to ever come from fiction.

As was often the case for sci-fi in Heinlein's day, the genre was mostly an allegory for modern life that allowed him to make bold social statements without fear of reprisal. This meant that the characters and dialog were always the focus of the story, and not the technology. However, Heinlein's deep passion and understanding of mathematics, physics and science, as well as the military, is very apparent in all his writing and incredibly infectious. It adds an air of credibility and authenticity to his stories.

His earlier novels in particular are charming, often introducing young and naive protagonists who view the galaxy - including the races that populate it and the technology they utilise - with a child-like wonder, through which the reader can identify. Because the themes he presents are universal - crossing from childhood into adulthood, redemption, camaraderie, love, a strong sense of family, the struggle against oppression and good old fashioned exploration and adventure - his work appeals to all kinds of readers. A love of science fiction is certainly not a pre-requisite for enjoying the worlds of Robert A. Heinlein.
Steve_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #107
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Tim Powers
John Irving
Guy Gavriel Kay
Nick Hornby
Neal Stephenson
Dennis Lehane
James P. Blaylock
Dan Simmons
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #108
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Joe Abercrombie
Alastair Reynolds
Kurt Vonnegut
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #109
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Young View Post
I'm still trying to find every Patricia Highsmith ever published. Some of them are hard to get and none are available as ebooks. If you haven't tried her, I'd recommend any of her books. Suspense, readability, bizarreness. If you like that sort of thing.
FYI, Patricia Highsmith's The Price of Salt, published under the pseudonym Claire Morgan, is available as a e-book, e.g., at Fictionwise.

Amazon also has this one, as well as The Tremor of Forgery, The Cry of the Owl, and Eleven.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #110
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Current authors who are must-reads:

Anne Perry
Victoria Thompson
Megan Abbott
Marian Babson
Mary Stewart

Deceased authors who are must-reads:

Shirley Jackson
Cornell Woolrich
John Steinbeck
Victoria Holt
Phyllis A. Whitney
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:51 AM   #111
mikelvdb
Enthusiast
mikelvdb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikelvdb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikelvdb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: cybook gen3, cybook opus, sony prs-350, sony prs-t1
Alten, Steve
Arruda, Suzanne
Berry, Steve
Doetsch, Richard
Evanovich, Janet
Francis Dick
Grafton, Sue
Harper, Tom
Howard, Linda
Kearsley, Susanna
Knox, Tom
MacLeod, Charlotte
Mariani, Scott
Michaels, Barbara
Paretsky, Sara
Parnell, Hall
Peters, Elizabeth
Preston & Child
Rollins, James
Scott, Michael
Stewart, Mary
Sussman, Paul
Twining, James
mikelvdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #112
John A. A. Logan
Connoisseur
John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Mikhail Bulgakov
Knut Hamsun
Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa
Alexander Trocchi
Alan Sharp
John Kennedy Toole
Robert Pirsig
Neil Gunn
Joseph Conrad
Milan Kundera
John A. A. Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #113
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
I would say, Tolkien, Herbert, King, Murakami and Grama ().
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #114
Spock96
Book Geek.
Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Chris Walley.
Michael Crichton.
Spock96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #115
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
Among authors still writing:
Peter F. Hamilton
Iain M. Banks
Neal Stephenson
Dan Simmons
Conn Iggulden
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #116
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
Dean Koontz
Alex Kava
Jonathan Kellerman

I do read authors whose surnames begin with letters other than K too!
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #117
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have recently added Max Allen Collins and Robert K. Tanenbaum to my very long list.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #118
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
For me (in no particular order);

Living authors

Christopher Brookmyre
Carl Hiaasen
Iain Banks (without the 'M')
Jo Nesbo
Lee Child
Ben Elton
Terry Pratchett
Jim Butcher
Rob Grant

Those that are now sadly deceased and so won't be publishing any more books
George MacDonald Fraser
John Steinbeck
Steig Larsson
Douglas Adams

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 02-14-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #119
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I grew up with Lucy Maud Montgomery and have not outgrown her. Her works are pretty much curriculum around Canadian schools and all of the LMM works in the public domain were the first to hit my calibre and E readers.

Margaret Atwood is a master author too, Canadian as well. I have read most of her novels and have bought and re-bought my favorites. She's weird, wonderful, diverse. "Cat's Eye" was the first full length novel I read and I have 2 paperback copies, plus, borrow it from the library from time to time.

My life would not be complete without Farley Mowat. They just recently added his e-books to our library and I was thrilled.

I started getting into Lee Child's reacher series. His scenarios are over the top unbelievable, but page turning, and I am suitably grossed out by the way he chooses to kill his victims. I've only read the first and second, but will eventually read the others as they become available.

Every now and again, I like a little Nora Roberts.

ETA: Only after I posted did I read the other posts, and the start date of this thread, but hey, still cool to hear about other authors and why they are liked.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 02-14-2012 at 09:56 AM.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #120
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
For me (in no particular order);

Living authors
Christopher Brookmyre
Carl Hiaasen
Iain Banks (without the 'M')
Jo Nesbo
Lee Child
Ben Elton
Terry Pratchett
Jim Butcher
Rob Grant

Those that are now sadly deceased and so won't be publishing any more books
George MacDonald Fraser
John Steinbeck
Steig Larsson
Douglas Adams
A lot of commonality in our lists, and have to say .

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I started getting into Lee Child's reacher series. His scenarios are over the top unbelievable, but page turning, and I am suitably grossed out by the way he chooses to kill his victims. I've only read the first and second, but will eventually read the others as they become available.
I envy you the fact that you still have them all to read for the first time. I still have waking nighmares over the tunnel scene in "Die Trying".
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote