Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #106
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
well. I get a touch tomorrow now. (supposedly) I'll have a look. there. sorted.
Thank you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #107
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
For Kindle Touch (only): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2232405
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #108
ihor
Enthusiast
ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Guys, I am the one who initiated this all, but now I have serious problem.
I am asking all of you to help me.

My kindle doesn't load. I've done an attempt to code on java the functionality which reads data from
/mnt/us/system/com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader/fontfix.pref with contents like
FONT_LETTER=a
FONT_SIZES=15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27, 28,29,30,31,32,33,34

I've done an error - the code in ReaderResources_en_US.java generates null reference exception in static constructor. I understood where the problem is, but unfortunately too late - after I copied buggy jar files to \opt...\lib folder on my device.

Now I see on the screen the message that I have to contact Amazon support, etc.

I need to somehow load my kindle WITHOUT GUI and copy correct files to \opt folder (or to remove en_US.jar files from there).

Question: how can I do this?

Please, help.
ihor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #109
ihor
Enthusiast
ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

problem solved.

presses shift shift N 100 times - it loaded usbNetwork, and then very quickly in putty launched 3 commands
mntroot rw
rm -f /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/framework-api_en_US.jar
rm -f /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/MobiReader_en_US.jar

and it works.

but anyway, I would be happy to know what to do in general case - when a patch is crashing. How to load step by step, etc?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #110
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ihor: Always run a dev device with SSH enabled/a shell open? Stop/Start the framework manually when testing stuff requiring/tweaking the framework?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #111
ihor
Enthusiast

well, since I fixed my problem now, I would like to tell what I am trying to do.
Here is the code:

Spoiler:
package com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.resources;

import java.util.ListResourceBundle;
import java.util.*;
import java.io.*;

public class ReaderResources_en_US extends ListResourceBundle
{
static final Object a[][];

private static String fontSizesStringDefault = "15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,3 1,32,33,34,35";
private static int fontSizesDefault[] = new int[] { 15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31 ,32,33,34,35 };
private static String fontLetterDefault = "a";

private static int[] fontSizes = fontSizesDefault;
private static String fontLetter = fontLetterDefault;

private static void readConfig()
{
FileInputStream fis = null;
try {
fis = new FileInputStream("/mnt/us/system/com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader/fontfix.pref");
Properties p = new Properties();
p.load(fis);
fontLetter = p.getProperty("FONT_LETTER", "a");
String sizes = p.getProperty("FONT_SIZES", fontSizesStringDefault);
String sArray[] = sizes.split(",");
fontSizes = new int[sArray.length];
for (int i = 0; i < sArray.length; ++i) {
fontSizes[i] = Integer.parseInt(sArray[i]);
}
}
catch (Exception e)
{
fontLetter = fontLetterDefault;
fontSizes = fontSizesDefault;
}
try {
if (fis != null) {
fis.close();
}
}
catch (IOException ex) {}
}

public ReaderResources_en_US()
{
}

static
{
readConfig();
a = (new Object[][] {
new Object[] {
"mobireader.default.font.size.list", fontSizes
}
});
}

public Object[][] getContents()
{
return a;
}
}

when I comment the line readConfig(); in static constructor - it works fine: I see my font sizes with just letter a.

when I uncomment the line readConfig();, I see - to my surprise - OLD SET OF FONT SIZES. As if there are no absolutely en_US resource.

Question: why does it happen? It seems as if java runtime doesn't want to load this class when it sees a method call in static constructor. but why?

I am not a java programmer, so if anyone can help with this - I'll be grateful.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #112
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Yeah, I keep SSH enabled on my devices. Comes in handy when you muck up the GUI.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #113
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihor View Post
well, since I fixed my problem now, I would like to tell what I am trying to do.
Here is the code:

Spoiler:
Code:
package com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.resources;

import java.util.ListResourceBundle;
import java.util.*;
import java.io.*;

public class ReaderResources_en_US extends ListResourceBundle
{
    static final Object a[][];

private static String fontSizesStringDefault = "15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35";
    private static int fontSizesDefault[] = new int[] { 15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35 }; 
    private static String fontLetterDefault = "a";

private static int[] fontSizes = fontSizesDefault;
    private static String fontLetter = fontLetterDefault;

private static void readConfig() 
    {
        FileInputStream fis = null;
        try {
            fis = new FileInputStream("/mnt/us/system/com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader/fontfix.pref"); 
            Properties p = new Properties();
            p.load(fis);
            fontLetter = p.getProperty("FONT_LETTER", "a");
            String sizes = p.getProperty("FONT_SIZES", fontSizesStringDefault);
            String sArray[] = sizes.split(",");
            fontSizes = new int[sArray.length];
            for (int i = 0; i < sArray.length; ++i) {
                fontSizes[i] = Integer.parseInt(sArray[i]);
            }
        }
        catch (Exception e)
        {
            fontLetter = fontLetterDefault;
            fontSizes = fontSizesDefault;
        }
        try {
            if (fis != null) {
                fis.close();
            }
        } 
        catch (IOException ex) {}
    }

public ReaderResources_en_US()
    {
    }

static 
    {
        readConfig();
        a = (new Object[][] {
            new Object[] {
                "mobireader.default.font.size.list", fontSizes
            }
        });
    }

public Object[][] getContents()
    {
        return a;
    }
}

when I comment the line readConfig(); in static constructor - it works fine: I see my font sizes with just letter a.

when I uncomment the line readConfig();, I see - to my surprise - OLD SET OF FONT SIZES. As if there are no absolutely en_US resource.

Question: why does it happen? It seems as if java runtime doesn't want to load this class when it sees a method call in static constructor. but why?

I am not a java programmer, so if anyone can help with this - I'll be grateful.
Check the system logfile. There's probably an unchecked exception being thrown somewhere. Hint: try to catch Throwable, instead of Exception.

As to the code, there is nothing that looks immediately wrong. My guess is the String.split() method - the Kindles do not support regexes (I have also been bitten by this a few times). Try to use a StringTokenizer instead. And note that Integer.parseInt() may also throw an unchecked exception.

Last edited by ixtab; 09-24-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:22 AM   #114
ihor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Check the system logfile. There's probably an unchecked exception being thrown somewhere. Hint: try to catch Throwable, instead of Exception.

As to the code, there is nothing that looks immediately wrong. My guess is the String.split() method - the Kindles do not support regexes (I have also been bitten by this a few times). Try to use a StringTokenizer instead. And note that Integer.parseInt() may also throw an unchecked exception.
I don't know where is the log file, but I dumped exception to /mnt/us and I see the next:
Spoiler:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.String: method split(Ljava/lang/String[Ljava/lang/String; not found
at com.amazon.ebook.framework.resources.UIResources_e n_US.readConfig(UIResources_en_US.java:44)
at com.amazon.ebook.framework.resources.UIResources_e n_US.<clinit>(UIResources_en_US.java:72)
at java.lang.Class.runStaticInitializers(Class.java:1 604)
at java.util.ResourceBundle.loadBundle(ResourceBundle .java:1066)
at java.util.ResourceBundle.findBundle(ResourceBundle .java:931)
at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(ResourceBun dle.java:768)
at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(ResourceBundle. java:555)
at com.amazon.ebook.framework.gui.foundation.od.<init >(olc:166)
at com.amazon.ebook.framework.gui.foundation.od.<init >(olc:60)
at com.amazon.ebook.framework.gui.widgets.g.D(ffc:514 )
at com.amazon.ebook.framework.impl.gui.AlertImpl.<cli nit>(lac:174)
at java.lang.Class.runStaticInitializers(Class.java:1 604)
at com.amazon.ebook.framework.impl.gui.b.Q(rzb:333)
at com.amazon.ebook.framework.impl.gui.b.R(rzb:156)
at com.amazon.ebook.framework.impl.gui.b.<init>(rzb:3 72)
at com.amazon.ebook.framework.impl.booklet.e.a(hec:81 )
at com.amazon.ebook.framework.impl.gui.b.a(rzb:380)
at com.amazon.ebook.framework.impl.device.mario.o.<in it>(zac:390)
at com.amazon.ebook.framework.impl.device.mario.o.a(z ac:262)
at com.amazon.ebook.framework.impl.Framework.start(xe c:16)
at com.lab126.linux.arm.AbstractServiceProvider.N(oz: 23)
at com.lab126.linux.arm.LuigiServiceProvider.main(pz: 243)
at sun.misc.CVM.runMain(CVM.java:538)

so, ixtab, you were right as to splitting strings. I will use StringTokenizer
Old 09-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #115
ihor
Enthusiast

I made 2 improvements:
1) there is a a bin file - see attachment.
2) in /mnt/us/fontfix/fontfix.prefs you may set up necessary font sizes and letter that is displayed on top of font parameter selection window.

Feel free to install it and give me your comments.

I'd be grateful to receive feedback about your Kindle models - to know where it works fine. Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle_fontfix_0.2.zip (515.6 KB, 640 views)
Old 09-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #116
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
I'd be grateful to receive feedback about your Kindle models - to know where it works fine. Thank you.
Refuses to install on UK K3 keyboard/wireless.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #117
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@mr ploppy: What do you mean by that? What happens, exactly? (Greyed UYK link? U00* update failure? Or it installs successfully, but doesn't work?)
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #118
ixtab
(offline)

Yeah, everybody gets bitten by that sooner or later - imprecise problem descriptions. But I still like the good old "it doesn't work!" best.

Sorry for the sarcasm and for the rather useless post.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #119
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
Quote:
I made 2 improvements:
1) there is a a bin file - see attachment.
2) in /mnt/us/fontfix/fontfix.prefs you may set up necessary font sizes and letter that is displayed on top of font parameter selection window.

Feel free to install it and give me your comments.

It worked on my Kindle DXG!
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #120
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@mr ploppy: What do you mean by that? What happens, exactly? (Greyed UYK link? U00* update failure? Or it installs successfully, but doesn't work?)
Says update failure, then restarts.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote