Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 04:35 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you change the cover in a Mobi book, you need to do a "Mobi to Mobi" conversion to make the new cover "stick" to the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:46 AM   #17
Baja
Baja began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Sure enough. I did a test export of a single book and the new cover did not stick.

Starting a batch conversion now.

Thanks again Harry!
Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 04:50 AM   #18
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Didn't there use to be some issue with mobi->mobi conversions? I can't recall the details, someone will. Personally I always keep ePub, make any changes I want to that, and then convert to mobi. I don't read on a device using ePub since I only read on my Kindle, but ePub is a far more easily editable format to make sure only the changes you want get applied.

The other question I would ask is what are you trying to do with save to disk and creating a new library? If you just want to move your library, that is easily done in other ways. If you have some other reason for a new library, just use calibre to create library and then use right-click Copy to Library to make sure you keep every single bit of your metadata.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:06 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Didn't there use to be some issue with mobi->mobi conversions?
I do them all the time, and have had no problems at all with them.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #20
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am sure theDucks or dwanthny will fill in the blanks when they see this . I can remember Kovid saying that due to a limitation in the mobi format he was unable to detect certain things which meant certain other things happened when you do it (maybe it was duplicated TOCs at the end or summary pages at the start or something). I didn't pay close attention because it isn't something I would ever do. If you are happy with the results then clearly it isn't too major or frequent.
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The only majorproblem in mobi to mobi that I can recall is if you use the insert emtadata conversion option, that gets duplicated, as there si no way to identify whether a given mobi file has the old jacket or not.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #22
kiwidude

Thks Kovid - yes obviously that only affects people using metadata jackets but I knew there was "something" .
Old 02-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Forgive my ignorance, but what are "metadata jackets"?
Old 02-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre has a conversion option to insert all the book metadata as a "jacket" at the start of the book when converting. It's under Structure Detection int he conversion settings.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks - yet again I've learned something new about Calibre .
Old 03-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #26
brenwa
brenwa began at the beginning.

Device: nook tablet
Cool

removed ... moved to different thread

Last edited by brenwa; 03-05-2012 at 06:05 PM.
brenwa is offline   Reply With Quote