Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #31
metr0man
metr0man is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Wi-Fi
I'm actually sticking with the ads aside from a little experimentation here and there, but I didn't sign a contract of anything (actually, I got it as a gift but I'm still going to refer as buying below).

I err on the side of "I own the hardware, I do as I see fit". too much of HARDWARE is falling into the "rental" model. I don't believe you enter into a HARDWARE agreement/contract simply by buying hardware.

Sorry, I OWN my Kindle. It's no different than avoiding commercials on TV, or skipping commercials/trailers on DVDs, or running an ad-blocker on websites.

I do acknowledge though that they are more or less within their rights to cut off access to the Kindle Store from KSOs which block the ads and void the warranty. Those are related to the terms of SERVICE. Emphasis on SERVICE.

There is no Terms of HARDWARE. The hardware is MINE, I do NOT believe that I entered into any agreement SIMPLY BY BUYING HARDWARE.

Last edited by metr0man; 05-23-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #32
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Honestly, I don't think it's any more unethical than doing what I do with most ads: ignore them.

The point of ads is to get people to buy things. Someone who goes out of his way to avoid looking at your ads is unlikely to buy your product. Just chalk it up as a non sale and move on.

I think Amazon should let regular kindle users opt IN. Some people want the special offers and don't mind looking at ads.
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #33
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

Device: kindle
I actually think Amazon should put some serious effort into delivering ads that are interesting and pleasing to the eye. I am seriously disappointed to be staring at a bottle of "Oil of Olay" alternating with credit card pitches, and now wish I'd coughed the $25 to be rid of the ads - but only if I could run my own screensavers, which apparently requires the JB. And it seems no one has cracked 3.2.1 yet.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #34
Lanoitarus
Lanoitarus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh12345 View Post
I am seriously disappointed to be staring at a bottle of "Oil of Olay" alternating with credit card pitches
I agree-- I don't really mind ads on principle but I would love to be able to dismiss ads I am not interested in, like a thumbs down in pandora.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #35
belden
Enthusiast
belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 (US)
Quote:
I actually think Amazon should put some serious effort into delivering ads that are interesting and pleasing to the eye. I am seriously disappointed to be staring at a bottle of "Oil of Olay" alternating with credit card pitches, and now wish I'd coughed the $25 to be rid of the ads - but only if I could run my own screensavers, which apparently requires the JB. And it seems no one has cracked 3.2.1 yet.
Amazon last week released their AdMash program for Kindle. Running the program basically shows you two different versions of an ad for the same product and lets you choose which of the two you like more or if you don't like either one. Not only does it give you some input into the ads which Amazon might deploy to the Kindle in the future, it gives you some clues as to what some of the future 'special offers' might be. I think to your first point, they are at least making an effort into showing users ads that they might like.

Here is the page at Amazon for the program: http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-AdMash/...6190700&sr=8-1
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #36
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanoitarus View Post
I agree-- I don't really mind ads on principle but I would love to be able to dismiss ads I am not interested in, like a thumbs down in pandora.
Do what I do - don't look at them
Old 05-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
duh! i was so focused asking someone who had one and had photographed their own kso i neglected to even think of google images.

i've never encountered 'YW' before, but then i text very infrequently and don't have a smartphone.

another question, it appears (deducing from info on the photo) that probably the statement that 'there's a small banner on the bottom of the home page' is accurate and the subsequent pages have the usual 10 listed items per page rather than the 9 items plus the banner on page 1, am i correct?

thanks
I never photograph my devices because there's a ton of pics already on Google Images.

9 + ad banner on the home page. Don't know about subsequent pages, because I rarely let my downloads get to page 2.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #38
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
I suggest that everybody just chill on the ethical question. Amazon sells these knowing that the clickthrough rate will be low and that a certain number of people will reconfigure ('hack') them to skip the ads.

If I skip TV commercials, have I behaved unethicially?
I think the question of ad removal will become more prevalent as we move into the new era.

Consider this, the Firefox web browser is used by about 20% of those who use browsers. Firefox is made by the Mozilla Foundation, a non-profit organization that promotes openness, innovation and participation on the Internet. If the next version of Firefox were to come preinstalled with adblock plus, what do you think would happen?
Old 05-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #39
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

Device: kindle
The future of advertising has to be about making ads that are entertaining, and run for short periods of time, so people will watch by choice -and about replacing 'ads' per se with product placements, which is more insidious - and about placing ads in locations where they can't be easily skipped or avoided.

The implications for eBooks are obvious. Most people (myself included) feel that current eBook prices are very high. Would we accept eBooks containing ads, if the price was greatly reduced? In some cases, maybe yes. I'm sure Amazon sees the KSO as just a test marketing study of a vast potential market.

Last edited by jimh12345; 05-23-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #40
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
You will not be able to use Collections without turning on the WiFi at least once. If you live near a McDonalds you should be able to use the WiFi at least once. Or a Starbucks.
Thanks for the tip. I was not aware of the McDonalds WiFi.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #41
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Consider this, the Firefox web browser is used by about 20% of those who use browsers.
You forgot about Chrome which has two major ad-blockers currently (extension) and a lot of users.

I personal use both firefox and Chrome, and with these extensions you can basically choose which site to support by ads. That's real power in the head of the user. Besides I like a clean internet and the fact that sites loads quicker without them. Video ads are harder to block, but I rarely get any, still - to an extend it might be geolocation related, though.

I actually like ads when I'm not forced upen them at every turn I take - and to be able to enable them if I want to support specific site.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 05-24-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #42
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I think the question of ad removal will become more prevalent as we move into the new era.

Consider this, the Firefox web browser is used by about 20% of those who use browsers. Firefox is made by the Mozilla Foundation, a non-profit organization that promotes openness, innovation and participation on the Internet. If the next version of Firefox were to come preinstalled with adblock plus, what do you think would happen?
And of course the nonprofit Mozilla foundation is funded with over $70 million per year from google for making google the default browser. So you see an "ad" for google every time you launch Ff unless you change the default startup page.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #43
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
I have ordered a replacement Kindle 3 Wifi as my device started to fail. Amazon shipped me a KSO on 3.2.1, I was disappointed to see the ads on my home page and I am determined to remove them.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #44
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoover View Post
I have ordered a replacement Kindle 3 Wifi as my device started to fail. Amazon shipped me a KSO on 3.2.1, I was disappointed to see the ads on my home page and I am determined to remove them.
You should definitely call customer service and iron that out. If they won't send you anything but a KSO to replace a standard K3, that should be grounds for a refund.

Minus 5 stars for them if that's what the policy is now.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #45
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_irl View Post
Video ads are harder to block, but I rarely get any, still - to an extend it might be geolocation related, though.
???

I don't install flash browser plugins and I keep javascript off. I don't have to do anything at all to not get video ads, much less anything hard.
Closed Thread