Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
joedubya
joedubya doesn't litterjoedubya doesn't litter

Device: Nook Color
default Library menu...

Hi everybody, loving my rook so far But one pet peave that's really irkng me is the default Library menu screen. Hate it with every fiber of my being. I've tried apps like Aldiko and for the life of me cannot get the books i already have in the nooks storage to show or import into it's shelves. Any idea on a good non-default library menu system that works well?

Regards,
Joe W

Last edited by joedubya; 01-10-2011 at 05:14 PM.
joedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Hey Joe,

We have a sub-forum for rooted devices now. Where you're posting is for non-rooted devices or questions that don't involve rooting.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231

Your thread probably will be moved by a moderator to the appropriate place.

Last edited by SCION; 01-10-2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: clarification
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My version of Aldiko imports files from the SD card. I took a sample of my calibre output and placed it in the folder /ebooks/import (as instructed by Aldiko). My calibre collections/tags carried over.

Last edited by SCION; 01-10-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant

Hmmm, this is my first time using Aldiko. Love that I can choose my font color and background color. Wow. But, most importantly it plays nice with calibre tags!

There are no highlight or annotation features like the stock reading app, but it's not of much use if you can't export anything.

Yeah, I'm going to make the switch to Aldiko. I'll keep my books on internal storage for the stock reader app if I decide to go back. Can't deal with re-shelving things. (There needs to be a better way to do that) Will place my library on the storage card as well for Aldiko.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I remove DRM from my books.

Last edited by SCION; 01-10-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
joedubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Hmmm, this is my first time using Aldiko. Love that I can choose my font color and background color. Wow. But, most importantly it plays nice with calibre tags!

There are no highlight or annotation features like the stock reading app, but it's not of much use if you can't export anything.

Yeah, I'm going to make the switch to Aldiko. I'll keep my books on internal storage for the stock reader app if I decide to go back. Can't deal with re-shelving things. (There's needs to be a better way to do that) Will place my library on the storage card as well for Aldiko.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I remove DRM from my books.
Yeah, i know what you mean. I was feeling pretty lazy last night I'll pickup another SD card and do it that way Did you get the $$$ edition of Aldiko?

Regards,
Joew
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant

Yes, I'm using an older pro version. I read somewhere that the new pro version does the Adobe DRM thing, but it also is a watered-down version in terms of features. Maybe someone will confirm.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
joedubya

Quote:
Yes, I'm using an older pro version. I read somewhere that the new pro version does the Adobe DRM thing, but it also is a watered-down version in terms of features. Maybe someone will confirm.

Yah, seems quite a few of the comments on the market are pretty bad on the newer version.

Regards,
me

Last edited by joedubya; 01-10-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
rogerperk
Connoisseur
rogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enough

Device: NC Rooted
I'm going to try this. I really don't like the BN library much. I'll let you know how it goes.
rogerperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
rogerperk
Connoisseur
rogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enough

Device: NC Rooted
Tried it and it partially works. Some of my BN books open and some don't. The ones that do have images on the bookshelf. The others java a generic image and the title, so its reading something. All my non-BN ones do fine.
rogerperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:01 AM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerperk View Post
Tried it and it partially works. Some of my BN books open and some don't. The ones that do have images on the bookshelf. The others java a generic image and the title, so its reading something. All my non-BN ones do fine.
Which version of the app are you using?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:52 AM   #11
SCION
Séduisant

I decided to roll the dice and upgrade to version 2.0 pro (premium). I was reluctant because many said they went back to the old version. After spending the day with the old version I was ready to go back to the stock reader app and library. The main issue was the font was too light (even though you could adjust it, there was no variation), and the margins (left, right) wouldn't change (even though you could adjust it, there was no variation). Also, the user interface was dated.

I'm grinning like a Cheshire cat now. This app rocks! Feelin' mighty good with my decision to leave the stock library. You can even view the summary of a book if included in the metadata. Whoa!!!

Oh, when I installed the new .apk it recognized my data (didn't uninstall the old version). I didn't have to re-import my books.

Now I have shortcuts to my recent reads on my desktop using book cover thumbnails. They open in Aldiko.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11-01-12-4.png
Views:	356
Size:	746.4 KB
ID:	64590   Click image for larger version

Name:	11-01-12-6.png
Views:	334
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	64591   Click image for larger version

Name:	11-01-12-5.png
Views:	314
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	64592   Click image for larger version

Name:	11-01-12-7.png
Views:	308
Size:	498.5 KB
ID:	64593   Click image for larger version

Name:	11-01-12-9.png
Views:	320
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	64594  

Last edited by SCION; 01-12-2011 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
ShadowDragon
Enthusiast
ShadowDragon has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I decided to roll the dice and upgrade to version 2.0 pro (premium).

Now I have shortcuts to my recent reads on my desktop using book cover thumbnails. They open in Aldiko.
I wish you would have of added a pic of a book open. This may be small thing, but what I like about the stock reader is that it will show me what page I'm on. (page x of xxx) and the status bar is still there giving me the time. I tried an older version of Aldiko and I didn't see these things .......
ShadowDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
I wish you would have of added a pic of a book open. This may be small thing, but what I like about the stock reader is that it will show me what page I'm on. (page x of xxx) and the status bar is still there giving me the time. I tried an older version of Aldiko and I didn't see these things .......
Here you go...

You just have to tap the bottom of the screen (similar to the stock reader) to show what's in the pic (including the status/notification bar). If you don't tap, the text fills the entire screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11-01-12-10.png
Views:	302
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	64620  
Old 01-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
ShadowDragon
Enthusiast
ShadowDragon has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

I have shortcuts to my recent reads on my desktop using book cover thumbnails. They open in Aldiko.
I have created books on to the desktop too, but mine open the default reader. Was there some other tweak in Desktop Visualizer to have Aldiko run instead?
ShadowDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
I have created books on to the desktop too, but mine open the default reader. Was there some other tweak in Desktop Visualizer to have Aldiko run instead?
For "Select Action" choose "Other" and select "Aldiko". Find the book in the Aldiko library. You have to import the books into Aldiko first. I don't know if you've done this already.