Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: sony pocketbook 350
How pocketable is the prs-350 "pocket" reader?

Well I have a DX and I thought I would use it more, but at the end of the day I have found that if I am inside I will just read a book and its is too big to carry unless you have a bag. Well I was thinking of getting a kindle 3 but even that from what I gather would need something apart from my pants or jacket pocket. So (guess I should have asked this before I ordered the $129 dell prs-350 deal) is the pocket reader really pocketable? And if so is it of a quality that (provided I don't put it in with my keys or bump into stuff) it will not get totally scratched or otherwise destroyed in my pocket?

Finally how much does a case add to the weight/size? I would love to have the device protected but at the end of the day I am making this purchase so I can carry the darn thing with me everywhere...If a case made it too big, (apart from price) I would see no reason to get this over a 6 inch reader...

Thanks for listening, I guess I could find out in like a week when my unit arrives, but now I am so excited that I want to talk bout it

Last edited by bluerfoot; 11-12-2010 at 11:14 AM.
bluerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

With the cover on it actualy fits in some of my shirt pockets. I'm talking button up dress shirts. I would estimate about half of my shirts have pockets big enough. It would probably fit in most of the others without the cover, but I'm not removing the cover. I'm not stupid enough to put it in pants pockets.
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
My 650, with a cover, fits easily in my coat pockets, so your 350 should be fine with room to spare. I wanted to post to agree: do not carry it around without a cover, and a trouser pocket is asking for trouble!

By "pocket" Sony means a blazer, coat, etc.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
With the cover on it actualy fits in some of my shirt pockets. I'm talking button up dress shirts. I would estimate about half of my shirts have pockets big enough. It would probably fit in most of the others without the cover, but I'm not removing the cover. I'm not stupid enough to put it in pants pockets.
I am...well perhaps...what I really want to know is how susceptible would the screen be to scratches. I am not really concerned (should I be) with shattering it as I can't recall the last time I like bumped into something like a corner by mistake. I mean is called the pocket reader so that (to some extend) means sony is saying put it in your pocket right?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I was planning to get a 350 and when I saw it in the store, I actually decided it was *too* small, so for your pocketable needs I think it will be perfect.

But I don't think the screen is any more scratch-resistant than any other electronic device. You might be able to find some sort of cover or sleeve that is slimmer than the official Sony ones. Personally, I wouldn't want to walk around with it with no cover, but when I started another post on this topic, some people do that.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
raiderkilo
Connoisseur
raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: PRS-350 "PRS+"
Same as PRS-300 or pocket paperback
raiderkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
It measures about 5 and three-quarters inches by about 4 and an eighth inches, and is only about a quarter inch thick.

It's easier to carry in a pocketbook than a paperback book is. I've carried it in my side pants pocket (women's pants).

I use the slipcase that came with my Aluratek Libre Pro when I'm away from home with it. I wouldn't carry around any ereader unprotected - just seems to be commonsense to me. I've dropped things too many times not to use at least a modicum of protection the electronic doodads I carry around with me.

So far, the screen has managed to stand up to my 2 year old nephew poking at the screen with the stylus (he likes to "draw" a picture every day before his nap using the Handwriting application ).
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I have never shown my daughter the drawing (I mean note-taking) application because I would rather she didn't play with my ereader. I try never to take the stylus out in front of her (she doesn't know it has one) because I am afraid one day my stylus will go missing that way...

It's mommy's toy!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerfoot View Post
I am...well perhaps...what I really want to know is how susceptible would the screen be to scratches. I am not really concerned (should I be) with shattering it as I can't recall the last time I like bumped into something like a corner by mistake. I mean is called the pocket reader so that (to some extend) means sony is saying put it in your pocket right?
I would definitely use a cover. It doesn't add much weight--barely noticeable, and it doesn't add much to the size. I certainly would not recommend carrying it without a cover. Will it scratch easily in your pocket without a cover? i don't know, but i would not chance it.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
bluerfoot
Zealot

thanks everyone. I guess I will start looking for the absolute smallest lightest cover. I really want it to fit in my front pants pocket...
Old 11-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
bluerfoot,

Sony's "premium cover" (PRSA-SC35) conforms tightly to the reader -- it's probably the tightest fit you'll find.

It should protect the screen well, but it's "drop" protection is probably very low. unfortunately, that's a trade-off with covers -- "very protective" or "light and small."

Also, Sony's brackets do wear with inserting and removing the reader. if you always leave the cover on it won't be a problem, but if you like taking the cover off when at home it will break sooner than you'd expect.
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
PrincessV
PrincessV is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 650, Nook 1st Edition, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Quote:
thanks everyone. I guess I will start looking for the absolute smallest lightest cover. I really want it to fit in my front pants pocket...
I just picked up a Kenneth Cole neoprene GPS Case from Office Depot for $14. It's for the large 4.3" widescreen GPS. The Sony PRS 350 fits pretty well. There's a "slight" snuggest at the zippered top, but it shouldn't cause any problems.

Here's a couple sites for visual (the first one has a better picture, while the 2nd one has the better price)

http://www.technooutlet.com/htr109.html

http://www.amazon.com/Heritage-Trave.../dp/B002WEWF5A

Hope this helps!
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #13
NickC42
NickC42 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Mine with the Sony non-lighted cover fits fine in my front trouser pocket. If you use it without a case just don't put anything else in there, especially keys etc.
NickC42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #14
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I have never shown my daughter the drawing (I mean note-taking) application because I would rather she didn't play with my ereader. I try never to take the stylus out in front of her (she doesn't know it has one) because I am afraid one day my stylus will go missing that way...

It's mommy's toy!

eP
He can only play with it when he's sitting on my lap, with me saying "careful, careful" over and over again. He studies a book page as if he was reading it - I think he is picking out the a-b-c's. He just loves gadgets; he scrolls through the MP3's on my phone faster than I can.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #15
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderkilo View Post
Same as PRS-300 or pocket paperback
No, the 350 is smaller than the 300.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote