Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #286
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You can still use a Kindle PID with sites that use OverDrive servers to encrypt the ebooks (unless this has changed also.) Then you would have to kindle fix it.

Or, as you said, you can just buy it for your PC's PID and liberate it.

Has someone confirmed that any standard Mobipocket formatted dictionary can be set as the default dictionary on the Kindle?
BOb
If this is possible, I would kill to change my Kindle default dictionary to the Chambers (only in DRM'ed Mobi) - after liberating it of course. Not willing to spend the bucks yet if it won't work.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #287
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
If this is possible, I would kill to change my Kindle default dictionary to the Chambers (only in DRM'ed Mobi) - after liberating it of course. Not willing to spend the bucks yet if it won't work.
When my Kindle arrives, I'll try it. I use the Chambers dictionary on my Gen3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #288
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Yes, it can be done. I've converted a standard English-German dictionary into DRM-free .mobi and set as my default dictionary. No modification whatsoever needed. Just stripping from DRM and setting as default. Works like a charm.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #289
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrow View Post
Hi! I'm new here and have a question regarding the comparison of the Kindle with other e-book readers.

It seems that the Kindle offers INSTANT dictionary look up for words in the document that you are reading. From what I gather, no other e-book reader offers this function?

This creates the potential for language translation. I'm learning French at the moment. If I load a French-English dictionary onto my Kindle, then change the default dictionary to it (which you are able to do), then when I am reading French e-books on my Kindle, I can get instant English translation of those words of which I am unsure of in French.

This is an invaluable feature that seems unique to the Kindle. Or are there other e-book readers where I could also do this? Please advise me if so, because I am no expert but if there are other readers that can perform this kind of language translation "on the fly" then I may be more interested in them.
Sony 600 has the same "on the fly" dictionary lookup. Even a bit more conveniently via touchscreen/pen.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #290
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Yes, it can be done. I've converted a standard English-German dictionary into DRM-free .mobi and set as my default dictionary. No modification whatsoever needed. Just stripping from DRM and setting as default. Works like a charm.
That's great to know! I always thought the dictionary had to formatted in a specific way.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #291
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That is not correct. The Sony 600 has a dictionary as does the Jetbook, the CyBook Gen3 and I think the CyBook Opus. I'm pretty sure the iLliad and DR1000 do also, but I'm sure someone here can confirm or deny that.

BOb
iRex for example does it differently. On iRex you "leave" your book and switch to the dictionary. On Kindle or Sony 600, you see the instant lookup "on the fly" in the footnote of the text. You either switch to dictionary then or just check the instant lookup.

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-09-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #292
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, that is incorrect. The Opus is most certainly an eInk device.

One thing worth noting: although the Kindle IN THEORY allows you to change the dictionary, there are NO replacement dictionaries currently available for it. That, at least, was the position a couple of months ago; I don't know if it's changed since.
You can use the DRMed Mobipocket dictionaries. Strip them from DRM and then set them as default. I've done so with German-English dictionary. Works flawlessly. And of course, there are tons of .prc dictionaries for purchase.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #293
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Thanks Harry. You're right, the Kindle does let you change the default dictionary, so in effect there are already "replacement dictionaries" in foreign languages. However, making this change does not allow the new dictionary to be the "lookup dictionary", that thing you do "on the fly" when picking a word in the text. So in effect, it doesn't really allow you to change dictionary at all.

You can only ever use the lookup function in English.

For the record, I don't deny the right of Amazon to make it English only if they choose. It is their company, their language, their product, they can do whatever the hell they want. Good luck to them!

Interesting that the European produced (is it french?) Cybook offers multi-dictionary/language support, but the equivalent Amazon and Sony products from the States do not.
Sorry, but that's wrong. You can add for example standard .prc dictionaries (stripped from DRM and ported to DRM-free .mobi), set them as default and the default one is used for lookup.
Just checked to make sure. Kindle 2 uses my German-English dictionary for lookup.

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-09-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #294
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To clarify, I was referring to commercially published dictionaries. Is there any commercially published "big name" dictionary that you can buy, and install on the Kindle as a replacement for the supplied English dictionary? I was under the impression that there were none, but I would be happy to be wrong about that!
All the commercial .prc dictionaries. You can strip them from DRM like any other .prc file.

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-09-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #295
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
That's great to know! I always thought the dictionary had to formatted in a specific way.
I guess it's working so great, because it's .prc, which is the same as .azw so it already seems to be the format Kindle is expecting.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #296
LucasCorso
Enthusiast
LucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
If you wouldn't mind Lucas, that would be wonderful. I'd love to see what you mean.
Here there are three pictures while using a Romanian dictionary on my Kindle.
The first one is when I choose the default dictionary. Then, while reading a Romanian book I can see the short definition (but only ASCII), and pressing Enter will display the dictionary page with that particular word. So it's working fine, as you can see...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-54774.gif
Views:	210
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	37169   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-54775.gif
Views:	222
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	37170   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-54776.gif
Views:	206
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	37171  
LucasCorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #297
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
All the commercial .prc dictionaries. You can strip them from DRM like any other .prc file.
That's very good to hear. Thank you for confirming it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #298
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Thank you too - very much! Will try it out! Woo Hoo!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:53 PM   #299
whiteorca
whiteorca began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
This message needs to go to Amazon.com
Use the "kindle feedback" link.

They need to hear more like this so they'll know why people are canceling/not buying.
I also cancelled my order within minutes of placing it, after I got over my "I gotta have it!" moment, and moved everything to my wishlist, pending final decision. Sadly, I didn't filled the feedback box... but if I had, I would have argued that since I've been using sony readers since the PRS-500, (and my ebook collection is quite substantial at this point), what stayed my hand in this purchase was, precisely, the fact that I just couldn't port my library into the new device, as I did before with my 505, and are not about to re-download/reconvert all those books.

I think that one of the major drawbacks that Kindle has had since it was launched is it's poor format selection (including the nigh ubiquos .PDF's). That vs. wireless downloading anywhere has me sitting on the fence on this one.
whiteorca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #300
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Woah!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...kindle-charges

40% more for non-US customers.

Gulp.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote